What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo issues

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can a person delete individual photos from the ipad photo icon without deleting them from a separate photo app they have been copied to? When I try to delete them now, I get prompted asking if this photo should be deleted from all albums it is currently in. I just want it deleted from the iPad photo app, but not the secondary album it was copied too.

You may have thought you "copied" a photo from the Camera Roll to a "secondary album," but you didn't. What you did was to "tag" a particular photo with the name(s) of the album(s) you created. Thus, if you delete it from the Camera Roll (what you're calling the iPad photo icon) you're deleting them from the other albums, as well.

Confused yet? It would, of course, be better if Apple at least explained how this works rather than implying the various albums you've created contain copies of your photos. In reality, it's just a tagging system for filtering subsets of your photos (in the Camera Roll).

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just want to say, "thanks, jsh1120!" I had wondered if the OS was making a new copy of the picture for each sub-album or whether it was just making an address "link."

You saved me a Google session...

Thanks, again.

Marilyn

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I could help, Marilyn. Just another piece of unsolicited advice now that iOS 5 is here.

I'm not a huge photo collector on my iPad but my wife is. (We have a 7 y/o and my wife feels it is important to document every day of our daughter's life with at least 10 photos.) Furthermore, I have a wonderful app. Art Authority, that includes about 40,000 images of paintings and sculpture for the last 2000 years. (I'd highly recommend it.) I can save any of the images as a background for my lock and home screens and when I do they go in "Camera Roll". Finally, several other apps save images of sketches and even PDF documents on the ever expanding Camera Roll. Long story, short, the Camera Roll is a massive haystack of "stuff." I hate it.

Until iOS 5 I had to go through the gymnastics of syncing all this stuff to my PC, create new folders or move stuff into existing folders, etc. and then re-sync to create some sort of order out of chaos on the iPad. Now, at least, I can create the albums and "tag" the images as soon as they go into Camera Roll. This allows me to satisfy my OCD tendencies to keep the daughter photos separate from the masterpieces of Van Gogh on my iPad.

Bottom line. If you're like me, be sure to tag the images as soon as they're created, putting them in an appropriate album and you won't have to sort through hundreds of images sorted only by the order in which they were added to the Camera Roll.

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disappointed in IOS 5 as one cannot individually delete photos from an album that has been downloaded from a PC. You have to delete it from the PC and then download the album again.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Disappointed in IOS 5 as one cannot individually delete photos from an album that has been downloaded from a PC. You have to delete it from the PC and then download the album again.

Yeah - it would have been nicer to have more direct control over the photos on the system, no matter where they came from.

Bukk122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I did some research and for an app that I can move photos to into albums and erase from the standard iPad photo icon and they remain intact. The Stash Pro was the app and works nice.

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to search for these apps instead of trawling through hundreds of apps? I am a newbie to this soem maybe I am missing something? Thanks.

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I googled it. I googled "the best photo apps" and read what others said about them

Being lazy I was wondering if there was a simple way of finding an appropriate App as I am doing the Googling bit. LOL! Thanks anyway.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been busy making new albums and wondered what was going on with the delete option too. Thank you jsh1120 for that bit of info, slowly but surely we are learning this new system.

Most reactions