Photo issues

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Surfer01, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Surfer01

Surfer01
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again and for the advice abnout the IOS 5. We will wait for it.

#11 Surfer01, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. tommy59

tommy59
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have just returned from a vacation in South America where between myself and other we took 2500 pictures that I have now on my IPad. I have my pictures on a memory card, but the others were loaded from other people. So my question is how do I transfer them to my PC? I thought synching to I tunes would do it but I could not find them following the synch to the PC. I want to get them onto the PC to have a back- up of al the photos. Any help would be appreciated.

3. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have and answer to the last question and a question about a previous issue.

(Probably the last question should have been asked in a separate thread)

If you connect the iPad to the computer (as for syncing), you should be able to see (such as when using a Windows PC) the iPad as a camera device or other memory/drive device in My Computer. You can move any photos or videos contained in the folder you find there off to some place on the PC (just like you would do with any other camera/memory device). It's unfortunate that one can not do the reverse, and move photos from a PC to the iPad... NUTS!

(other question going out on another thread)

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

4. Surfer01

Surfer01
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Thanks and maybe this should be also listed under "Tips".

5. Bukk122

Bukk122
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Can a person delete individual photos from the ipad photo icon without deleting them from a separate photo app they have been copied to? When I try to delete them now, I get prompted asking if this photo should be deleted from all albums it is currently in. I just want it deleted from the iPad photo app, but not the secondary album it was copied too.

6. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    You may have thought you "copied" a photo from the Camera Roll to a "secondary album," but you didn't. What you did was to "tag" a particular photo with the name(s) of the album(s) you created. Thus, if you delete it from the Camera Roll (what you're calling the iPad photo icon) you're deleting them from the other albums, as well.

Confused yet? It would, of course, be better if Apple at least explained how this works rather than implying the various albums you've created contain copies of your photos. In reality, it's just a tagging system for filtering subsets of your photos (in the Camera Roll).

7. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just want to say, "thanks, jsh1120!" I had wondered if the OS was making a new copy of the picture for each sub-album or whether it was just making an address "link."

You saved me a Google session...

Thanks, again.

Marilyn

8. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Glad I could help, Marilyn. Just another piece of unsolicited advice now that iOS 5 is here.

I'm not a huge photo collector on my iPad but my wife is. (We have a 7 y/o and my wife feels it is important to document every day of our daughter's life with at least 10 photos.) Furthermore, I have a wonderful app. Art Authority, that includes about 40,000 images of paintings and sculpture for the last 2000 years. (I'd highly recommend it.) I can save any of the images as a background for my lock and home screens and when I do they go in "Camera Roll". Finally, several other apps save images of sketches and even PDF documents on the ever expanding Camera Roll. Long story, short, the Camera Roll is a massive haystack of "stuff." I hate it.

Until iOS 5 I had to go through the gymnastics of syncing all this stuff to my PC, create new folders or move stuff into existing folders, etc. and then re-sync to create some sort of order out of chaos on the iPad. Now, at least, I can create the albums and "tag" the images as soon as they go into Camera Roll. This allows me to satisfy my OCD tendencies to keep the daughter photos separate from the masterpieces of Van Gogh on my iPad.

Bottom line. If you're like me, be sure to tag the images as soon as they're created, putting them in an appropriate album and you won't have to sort through hundreds of images sorted only by the order in which they were added to the Camera Roll.

9. Surfer01

Surfer01
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Disappointed in IOS 5 as one cannot individually delete photos from an album that has been downloaded from a PC. You have to delete it from the PC and then download the album again.

10. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah - it would have been nicer to have more direct control over the photos on the system, no matter where they came from.