What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo app

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is dissatisfied with the standard photo app on iPad and iPhone? I would like something where in all photos view that photos could be rearranged and sorted and moved to new folders without the originals being kept.
You know, you put something in another folder and then go back to delete the original and it deletes both of them. I hate to say it but windows handles photos better. Is there anything better out there?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is dissatisfied with the standard photo app on iPad and iPhone? I would like something where in all photos view that photos could be rearranged and sorted and moved to new folders without the originals being kept.
You know, you put something in another folder and then go back to delete the original and it deletes both of them. I hate to say it but windows handles photos better. Is there anything better out there?

Hi Mark - understand the frustration which has not changed through numerous iOS versions of the native photo app. One option is to look for another 'photo manager' in the App Store - I have the one below on my iPad - has password protection if desired; folders can be made and fill w/ only the images desired; and backup via iTunes is available. I'm sure there are others - just make sure that any obtained are 64-bit apps if you plan to upgrade to iOS 11.x which will not run older 32-bit programs. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 3.19.38 PM.png

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only way to do that with Photos is to arrange your photos into folders on your Mac or PC, then sync them to your iPad in iTunes. In my case, I copied the photos taken with my iPad to my Mac, sorted them into folders, deleted them from the iPad, then synched the folders back. Stupid, but it works...except the order within the folders isn't entirely predictable, which tends to muck up slideshows.

BTW, when you assign a photo to a folder in Photos, it just makes an alias, not a duplicate. Still stupid.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .BTW, when you assign a photo to a folder in Photos, it just makes an alias, not a duplicate. Still stupid.

A matter of personal preference. I like having one place I can go and see all my photos, no matter what album I put them in. The alias thing also allows you to put photos in multiple albums, which can be handy; say if you have an album for your children and another for vacations. You don't have to chose which album is the best.

I admit it adds a bit of uncertanty when sorting photos into albums, since there is no clear indication whether a photos has already been added to that album, but it's a trade off for other uncertanties; like having to search thorugh multiple albums looking for a photo with multiple possible locations.

For myself, I periodically go thorugh the last couple months of photos and add them to my albums. If I accidently make a duplicate in an album, it become obvious quickly when viewing that album and is easily corrected. And since it doesn't actually make duplicates, it is not like I'm wasting storage space.

This isn't me trying to tell you, or others, how I think things should work. Just pointing out that any approach to filing your photos has advantages and disadvantages. Photos has one approach, other apps have different ones.

Of course a full featured powerhouse of a photos app would let you do thing 'your way' no matter what that is. The downside of those apps is they have a steap learning curve. You spend the first several days learning how to beat those apps into submission.

So, usually, it's easier to find an app that either 'moslty' fits how you want to work, or learn how to use the app you have on hand. Because my photo collection isn't huge or complicated and I value the convinience, I chose to conform to Photos. I'm reasonably happy with the results.

Last edited:

Black_Creek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do folders in folders (and so on) on the mac only. But you can sync it to your ipad. I sync by icloud to your ipad and iphone. You also can add keywords and a lot of other information to your photos (metadata) - but also only on the mac. But - and i love that - it will be searchable on the devices!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can do folders in folders (and so on) on the mac only. But you can sync it to your ipad. I sync by icloud to your ipad and iphone. You also can add keywords and a lot of other information to your photos (metadata) - but also only on the mac. But - and i love that - it will be searchable on the devices!

Keep in mind that creating folder in Photos on the Mac does not move photos into folders any more than making albums on the iPad does. It is still just one photo found in multiple places, and you will still see all photos in the main timeline and the All Photos album. Though it is easier to manipulate those photos, folders, and albums on the iMac. More tools and a more flexible interface.

As you say, those changes will sync back to the iPad, even if not all of them are accesible or editable there.

Now, if you are talking manually creating folders of photos on the on the Mac and then syncing them through iTunes, yes that will work. But it has some serious limitations and I do not recommend it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes i'm aware of this and i am fine with it :)

I was mostly clarifying for the original poster, though I suppose I didn't make that clear. Melie seems to be asking for an app that works like older folder based apps; where a full copy of the photo is stored independantly in each location. No current version of Apple's Photos app will let you do that.

Most reactions

Latest posts