What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo App on iPad 2

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the iPhone the Photo app has a Camera Roll album and a Photo Library album. Basically the Photo Library album contains the images from the iPhoto iTunes sync on the Mac and the Camera Roll contains iPhone local images. That is what one might expect.

However, the iPad 2 does not have a Photo Library. It has the Camera Roll album similar to the iPhone and a Photo album. In contrast to the iPhone Photo Library, the iPad 2 Photo album contains the images from the iPhoto iTunes sync on the Mac PLUS the images from the iPad 2 Camera Roll album.

Anyone know why?

Does anyone else see the same thing on their iPad 2?

Anyone know how to get a Photo Library on the iPad 2 that contains only images from the iPhoto iTunes sync on the Mac?

Thanks.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 4 or iOS 5?

In iOS 5 you will have at least two or tabs at the top: Photos and Albums

The Photos tab will show you every picture in the library. The Albums tab will show you your albums, which should include the Camera Roll and any albums synced through iTunes from your computer. It will also Albums of pictures imported using the Camera Connection Kit and locally created albums.

If memory servers (and it doesn't always) this is pretty much what you have in iOS 4 as well, minus the locally created albums.

If what you are seeing is different, then try the usual and see what happens.

Close: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Attachments

• PhotoAlbums.jpg
    PhotoAlbums.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IOS 5 sorry need to update my sig.

You are seeing exactly what I described. Photos contains links to Camera Roll photos as well as those photos sync'd with iTunes. ITunes on MBA has 3 albums: Last Import, Last 12 months, & Photo Library. These same albums are on my iPhone. However, the iPad 2 IOS 5 does not have the "Photo Library" album (as shown in your screenshot).

The "Photo Library" shows just the iTunes images from iPhoto. I see this album on the iPhone 4 IOS 5, but do not have it on the iPad 2 IOS 5. Thus the iPad 2 does not give me an album that contains just the iTunes iPhoto images.

As an aside, the iPhone 4 IOS 5 does not have the "Photos" album only the "Photo Library" - a much more useful arrangement for me.

Regards,

Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photos Library on your iPhone is an automatic library, a combination of all albums you have, minus the Camera Roll and any imported or saved pictures. It is not a synced album; even if you see the same album name on the MBA.

Since you are using a MBA, I'm guessing you are syncing with iPhoto, and it sounds like you are syncing the entire library. I can't help much with this. My iPhoto library is much too big and chaotic for me to sync the entire thing on my little 16GB iPad. I only sync selected albums.

If your main problem is finding specific pictures that you want, I recommend making some albums in iPhoto, and/or some creative management of your Events (which you can choose to sync in the iTunes settings). If you take the time to tag your photos with some keywords, you can even create smart albums to do half the work of sorting for you.

Good luck.

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Syncing photos via iTunes

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The Photos Library on your iPhone is an automatic library, a combination of all albums you have, minus the Camera Roll and any imported or saved pictures. It is not a synced album; even if you see the same album name on the MBA.

Which album are synced?

Since you are using a MBA, I'm guessing you are syncing with iPhoto, and it sounds like you are syncing the entire library. I can't help much with this. My iPhoto library is much too big and chaotic for me to sync the entire thing on my little 16GB iPad. I only sync selected albums.

If your main problem is finding specific pictures that you want, I recommend making some albums in iPhoto, and/or some creative management of your Events (which you can choose to sync in the iTunes settings). If you take the time to tag your photos with some keywords, you can even create smart albums to do half the work of sorting for you.

I am trying to learn how photos work on the iDevices and with iPhoto and whether it will be useful for me. I am trying to learn other apps as well (PhotoMgrPro, Photosmith) to see the relationships between them and iTunes/iPhotos.

Good luck.

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Which album are synced?

If you are using iPhoto and have selected the entire library (in iTunes settings), then all the albums should get synced. Hold in mind that albums are something you create, not the first few things listed at the top in the left column of iPhotos.

Maybe this will help, though I am over simplifying a bit. Don't for get the Help menu in the program. You can use the table of contents view to read it almost like a book.

Attachments

• iPhotosAlbums.jpg
    iPhotosAlbums.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 386

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
iOS 4 or iOS 5?

In iOS 5 you will have at least two or tabs at the top: Photos and Albums

The Photos tab will show you every picture in the library. The Albums tab will show you your albums, which should include the Camera Roll and any albums synced through iTunes from your computer. It will also Albums of pictures imported using the Camera Connection Kit and locally created albums.

If memory servers (and it doesn't always) this is pretty much what you have in iOS 4 as well, minus the locally created albums.

If what you are seeing is different, then try the usual and see what happens.

Close: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Poet, my iPad2problem is a little different.......I have tried three times to sync my photos from the iMac to the iPad, and each time it transfers only 240 of the 950in my iPhoto library.

Is there a limit, or maybe does ios5 permit only certain formats or whatever? I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no limit other than how much memory you iPad has. As far as I know the Photos app will handle both .jpg and .png files, and maybe .tiff. I'm sure it's listed somewhere on the iPad's specs.

I'm guessing you are syncing to a folder, not iPhoto on an iMac?

In that case hold in mind that the iPad will only sync a main folder, or a group of subfolder. So either all you pictures need to be in one folder that you sync, or you need a main folder with one subfolder per album to sync. I don't know what would happen if you tried to combine it, with both pictures and folders in the main folder. I recommend setting up and copying your pictures to a folder specifically dedicated to syncing with the iPad. That way you can move and delete photos without worrying about accidentally losing your originals.

Here is Apples instructions on photo syncing. iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Syncing photos via iTunes

You can also try turning off syncing, sync to remove all photos, then turning it back on. That sometimes clears things up.

For really tenacious problems you sometimes have to delete the iPod Photo Cache. Here's the lowdown on that.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, poet, another dismal failure. Am not sure where to make a new folder (in iPhoto? or iTunes? or on the desktop?) but I made sure that "All Photos" was selected, and synced again.....and again only 240 of the 980 were transferred. Can't imagine why only these same ones are chosen each time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So you are using iPhoto. Sorry, thought you were a Windows user and had to sync with a folder. No go excuse, as your post says you are using an iMac.

Ignore the folder stuff. In iPhoto your choice is to sync the entire iPhoto library, or just selected albums. You set up albums in iPhoto. If you are not sure how to do that use the Help menu in iPhoto.

You select which albums to sync (or the entire library) in iTunes. My link in the previous post should have covered the iTunes setup for both folder and iPhotos.

To be certain I know:

Did you turn off syncing, sync, then turn it on and sync again?

Are you trying to sync the entire iPhoto's library, or just selected albums?

And did you locate and delete the iPod Photo Cache folder as described in the link?

Are you running the current version of iTunes?

And since you are using iPhoto, is it up to date? You don't necessarily have to have the newest version, but that version should have all it's updates. I'm still on iPhoto 9, and it works fine with version 8.1.2

When you look at the info for each file in iPhoto that does, and does not sync, can you see anything common between hem?

Last edited:

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to be obtuse, Poet. Don't understand the 'sync/delete' technique at all. But I can try deleting all the photos and starting over.

Both iTunes and IPhoto are the latest incarnations.

The only clue I get each time is a message, after the sync is ended, to say that one photo could not be imported. But that leaves 600-plus ignored.

But many thanks for all your attention, much appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you turn off syncing in iTunes, then sync, it will remove all photos. You turn it back on and sync again to put them back on the iPad. That is all I meant. If that does not work, and deleting the photo cache folder does not work, then your only other choice is to try and figure out what photo is not syncing

Most reactions

Latest posts