What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phone # Recovery Glitch...

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All!,
I just want to add my phone number to my iPad. My path: Settings->[name]->Apple ID->Name, phone numbers, email. Tap that, on the right side there’s a ‘Contactable at’ section where your other emails & phone numbers can be stored in case there’s an issue (like you’re locked out of your iPad or something).

I always enter my phone number for security and reliability. And every time I start my iPad again, the phone number is gone! How can? I added my phone # to my iPad, shut it down, started it up again right away, and the phone # was gone! But as long as I’ve got my iPad on, the phone # stays in place like it should.

Has anybody out there had this problem? If so, what did you do to solve it? It affects both my iPads equally. If it’s a glitch, where can it be coming from? Or is this more likely an unauthorized change to my tablet?

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jupiter7, thank you for the advice. That said, I’m a bit confused-

1. “Apple iCloud account?” Are you talking about the passcode used to log in? I’ve gone Settings->[Name]->Apple ID (which I have the option to sign out of)->iCloud->tap into iCloud, where there is no “sign out” function... So it seems necessary to close down the whole Apple ID to sign out of iCloud..?

As said in my OP, all I want to do is to add a phone # to my iPad in Name->Phone numbers->email and find that the phone # has not *vanished* the next time I boot up.

Does anyone had that problem? If so, how was it solved?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Reachable At section under Settings > (account name at top) > Names, Phone Numbers, Email is for valid numbers to contact you using Face Time, iMessage, and other Apple services. It controls what addresses other people can use to send you information.

The only valid phone number(s) here are iPhone numbers, which are usually added automatically. Also, any email accounts you add to the iPad will show up here. Your main email account and any iPhone associated with your Apple ID will not only show up, but can not be deleted.

The phone number Apple will use to authentication and recover passwords is under Passwords & Security, same level as Names, Phone Numbers, Email. It’s called the Trusted Phone Number. I can be, but does not have to be the same as your iPhone.

Or you can change it at icloud.com, as Jupiter7 suggested.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet & Jupiter7, thank you for your replies! :)

twerppoet, I knew most of what you said, but certainly not all of it, so, I learn from you. Thanks!

You need to come out of Settings on the device, but go to Safari and sign in with your ID and password.

Jupiter7, thanks! If you (or someone) has a minute, could you please tell me how to “come out of Settings on the device, but go to Safari.” I’m sure it’s easy when you know how, but at this time, I don’t... Thanks again. I’ll fiddle with it... time-consuming! :)

BTW, I posted about my phone number from vanishing every time I boot up- that’s the point of this post, rather than adding one...

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Settings and Safari are two separate Apps on your iPad. Settings (grey cogs) is for fine-tuning and adjustments. Safari (like a blue compass) is the browser, from which you can search addresses, etc. So, simply tap on Safari. It will open and then you can type into the address bar "icloud.com". You should then be able to access your account by typing in your ID and password.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jupiter7,

Settings and Safari are two separate Apps on your iPad. Settings (grey cogs) is for fine-tuning and adjustments. Safari (like a blue compass) is the browser, from which you can search addresses, etc. So, simply tap on Safari. It will open and then you can type into the address bar "icloud.com". You should then be able to access your account by typing in your ID and password.

OK, maybe I was misinformed- quote you, “come out of Settings on the device, but go to Safari.”

Since Safari is part of the Settings menu, how can you “come out of Settings and tap on Safari?”

My phone number is intact in the iCloud and AppleID pages. It’s going through Settings to Apple ID->Name->phone numbers->email to set my current phone numbers that the issue arises.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Safari isn’t part of Settings. There are certain adjustments you can make to Safari in Settings. Safari is a separate App. It is a web browser and uses a search
engine (such as Google) to access the internet.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the homescreen that has this icon. Tapping it goes into the Safari browser. This is what was meant by going to Safari.
07582ECC-1354-449A-9822-DF660D56F649.jpeg

Most reactions

Latest posts