What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition to encourage Apple to bring ios6 to ipad 1

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, apple would rather lose customers than fix the problems that came with upgrading to ios5. Actually "downgrading" to ios5!!! Prior to 5 I had zero complaints. Now I'm ready to use this POS for target practice! I've tried resetting, disabled apps that we're suggested, etc. and still can't enjoy using my iPad1. I guess the next thing to try is hijacking. if Apple is going to leave iPad 1's in the past why wouldn't they at least offer one more upgrade to revert back to what worked, or offer a means to reload iOS 4? With their smug attitude toward the "old" stuff, I will never buy another Apple anything.
The "problems" are due to lack of RAM. I do not see any smug attitude from Apple.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, apple would rather lose customers than fix the problems that came with upgrading to ios5. Actually "downgrading" to ios5!!! Prior to 5 I had zero complaints. Now I'm ready to use this POS for target practice! I've tried resetting, disabled apps that we're suggested, etc. and still can't enjoy using my iPad1. I guess the next thing to try is hijacking. if Apple is going to leave iPad 1's in the past why wouldn't they at least offer one more upgrade to revert back to what worked, or offer a means to reload iOS 4? With their smug attitude toward the "old" stuff, I will never buy another Apple anything.

I don't think you quite understand that with the massive amounts of slowdowns when people upgraded to ios5.1 which would be the equivalent to a turtle imagine if you upgraded to ios6 that would be like putting a 45lbs plate on said turtle.

Even though the iPad 2 is getting an update they won't be getting the full benefits that the 3 is getting so don't fell bad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Have you upgraded to iOS 5.1.1, or are you on an earlier version of iOS 5?

It sounds like you have an iPad 1 problem that needs addressing, but not by Apple upgrading to iOS 6.

I encountered slowness and lots of crashes when I upgraded my iPad 1 to iOS 5 initially. Things improved with iOS 5.1 and then again with iOS 5.1.1. Because online browsing has been restored to more or less what my iPad started out with new, I'm content to stick with iOS 5.1.1, rather than upgrade firmware further. I still experience more frequent crashes on iOS 5.1.1 than when my iPad 1 was new, because of RAM overloads (according to my diagnostics logs), but nowhere near as many as on iOS 5, which sucked.

If you're experiencing severe slowness while browsing online and have already upgraded to iOS 5.1.1, you should consider other types of troubleshooting, such as resetting your router/wifi settings. In your place, I would search existing threads for help, and if those don't prove useful, create a new thread and ask for ideas.

The slowness you're experiencing isn't widespread, or there would be lots of complaints, and probably coverage on tech blogs. As it is, most iPad 1 users are still enjoying them, from what I can tell from forums and tech blogs, though there are performance advances that might encourage some to upgrade to newer iPads.

I've had an iPad 1 3G since debut day and later added an iPad 2. I can see performance differences between the two related to RAM, but I'm still able to use and enjoy my iPad 1 daily, thanks to iOS 5.1.1.

laself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KayKayKay,
Thanks for your attention. I am upgraded to 5.1.1, and my problem is not simply slow surfing. My problems include pages jumping around, not scrolling, games/Safari closing on their own just off the top of my head. I've tried the two or three "soft reset" methods I've found with no improvement. The one thing I haven't tried is a "factory reset". I'm not looking forward to saving all my apps, docs, games, pics and music to do so. So now I have to spend money on cloud space or the adapter to save everything unless someone knows of a different method. I'm just tired of being frustrated with this thing.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KayKayKay,
Thanks for your attention. I am upgraded to 5.1.1, and my problem is not simply slow surfing. My problems include pages jumping around, not scrolling, games/Safari closing on their own just off the top of my head. I've tried the two or three "soft reset" methods I've found with no improvement. The one thing I haven't tried is a "factory reset". I'm not looking forward to saving all my apps, docs, games, pics and music to do so. So now I have to spend money on cloud space or the adapter to save everything unless someone knows of a different method. I'm just tired of being frustrated with this thing.

It sounds like you might have a hardware malfunction, but I would start with a factory reset, to rule it out.

A reset isn't fun, but it probably isn't as big a pain as you might think. (I say that having reset to factory settings at least a few times among all my iDevices.) You can back up to the cloud if you prefer, but there's no reason you can't back up to a computer. That wouldn't cost anything. Even if you don't own a computer, you could back up to one belonging to a friend, a family member or work, depending on your circumstances.

I'm sure it's been frustrating having to deal with so many issues. In your place, I would've quickly troubleshooted through everything I could, including resetting to factory settings, rather than let things linger, which might've prolonged the problems unnecessarily.

By the way, what adapter would you have to buy? Synching to computer requires only the USB cord that came with your iPad.

Last edited:

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Signed the petition, don't think they will care, but there's always hope.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Signed the petition, don't think they will care, but there's always hope.

Hope that Apple will allow a firmware upgrade that will overload our iPad 1's hardware so that our tablets become unwieldy and barely usable? Lol.

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Hope that Apple will allow a firmware upgrade that will overload our iPad 1's hardware so that our tablets become unwieldy and barely usable? Lol.

True, guess I just don't like the idea of my iPad 1 being "left behind". You are probably right that it's better to not get the update.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
True, guess I just don't like the idea of my iPad 1 being "left behind". You are probably right that it's better to not get the update.

Even though the iPad 1 users won't get the update I'm sure that it doesn't mean the iP1 won't be useless.

Most reactions

Latest posts