Petition to encourage Apple to bring ios6 to ipad 1

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by Rperez414, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Rperez414

Rperez414 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
  2. HappyPelican

HappyPelican iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I thought this was a memory issue?
  3. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,529 / 1
  4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    The iPad 1 is being left behind. The OS has outgrown the hardware. There are already people who are suggesting that ios5.1.1 slows down the iPad 1.
  5. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I think Apple would rather that us iPad 1 users start upgrading hardware. Even if the iPad 1 could run IOS6 trouble free, keeping the operating system fully up to date would be bad for business :)

I'm holding off getting a new iPad until our local wireless carrier starts offering LTE.. Then I'll consider it.
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I don't want iOS 6 on iPad 1. They barely got iOS 5 to work reasonably on iPad 1, and that took upgrades to 5.1.1 to do it properly with iPad 1's paltry RAM.

Better that they stop firmware upgrades when reasonable, so our older hardware can at least keep functioning. Apple has had experience over-upgrading firmware beyond hardware capability.

With iPhone 3G, they upgraded firmware too far and made the browsing and apps use basically non-functional. That led to class-action attempts against Apple.

I'm not lawsuit happy, but I thought it was crazy that they basically killed the smart part of my iPhone 3G by over-upgrading.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    So if ram is an issue, why would the iPhone 3GS be supported and not the ipad? They have the same ram, it's one thing to stop support for them when the hardware isn't functioning, but to support one and not another with equal or greater hardware? So to provide the option for 3GS users to upgrade, but not the iPad 1 owners, it's just messed up. It should be both or neither.
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I would think that supporting iPhone apps on the same RAM would be less difficult than supporting iPad apps.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    That sounds about right. What they should do though is allow users to upgrade, but still sign for ios 5.1.1 downgrade if they choose. But hey can't change anything now right...
  10. iPad cases

iPad cases iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    maybe the memory issue
  11. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    If they don't think they could support it reasonably, I doubt they'd want to offer it at all, even as an option. Imagine the screaming among unhappy customers who'd spent time and effort to upgrade, only to find out that the upgrade gummed up their hardware, only to be told, "Well, you could downgrade."
  12. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Never gonna happen
  13. fanckush

fanckush iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Come on, i cant live with this ios 5.1.1 (verrrry slowwwww)
    Actually i was thinking of downgrading to ios 4.3.3 or even 4.2.1, but i cant leave iMessage and iCloud.. :/
  14. laself

laself iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, apple would rather lose customers than fix the problems that came with upgrading to ios5. Actually "downgrading" to ios5!!! Prior to 5 I had zero complaints. Now I'm ready to use this POS for target practice! I've tried resetting, disabled apps that we're suggested, etc. and still can't enjoy using my iPad1. I guess the next thing to try is hijacking. if Apple is going to leave iPad 1's in the past why wouldn't they at least offer one more upgrade to revert back to what worked, or offer a means to reload iOS 4? With their smug attitude toward the "old" stuff, I will never buy another Apple anything.
  15. goofy8275

goofy8275 iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    Um... Not going to happen.
    Not only will Apple not pay attention/care, iOS 6 would run unbearably slow on the original iPad.
  16. goofy8275

goofy8275 iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    The "problems" are due to lack of RAM. I do not see any smug attitude from Apple.
  17. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    I don't think you quite understand that with the massive amounts of slowdowns when people upgraded to ios5.1 which would be the equivalent to a turtle imagine if you upgraded to ios6 that would be like putting a 45lbs plate on said turtle.

Even though the iPad 2 is getting an update they won't be getting the full benefits that the 3 is getting so don't fell bad.
  18. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Have you upgraded to iOS 5.1.1, or are you on an earlier version of iOS 5?

It sounds like you have an iPad 1 problem that needs addressing, but not by Apple upgrading to iOS 6.

I encountered slowness and lots of crashes when I upgraded my iPad 1 to iOS 5 initially. Things improved with iOS 5.1 and then again with iOS 5.1.1. Because online browsing has been restored to more or less what my iPad started out with new, I'm content to stick with iOS 5.1.1, rather than upgrade firmware further. I still experience more frequent crashes on iOS 5.1.1 than when my iPad 1 was new, because of RAM overloads (according to my diagnostics logs), but nowhere near as many as on iOS 5, which sucked.

If you're experiencing severe slowness while browsing online and have already upgraded to iOS 5.1.1, you should consider other types of troubleshooting, such as resetting your router/wifi settings. In your place, I would search existing threads for help, and if those don't prove useful, create a new thread and ask for ideas.

The slowness you're experiencing isn't widespread, or there would be lots of complaints, and probably coverage on tech blogs. As it is, most iPad 1 users are still enjoying them, from what I can tell from forums and tech blogs, though there are performance advances that might encourage some to upgrade to newer iPads.

I've had an iPad 1 3G since debut day and later added an iPad 2. I can see performance differences between the two related to RAM, but I'm still able to use and enjoy my iPad 1 daily, thanks to iOS 5.1.1.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. laself

laself iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    KayKayKay,
    Thanks for your attention. I am upgraded to 5.1.1, and my problem is not simply slow surfing. My problems include pages jumping around, not scrolling, games/Safari closing on their own just off the top of my head. I've tried the two or three "soft reset" methods I've found with no improvement. The one thing I haven't tried is a "factory reset". I'm not looking forward to saving all my apps, docs, games, pics and music to do so. So now I have to spend money on cloud space or the adapter to save everything unless someone knows of a different method. I'm just tired of being frustrated with this thing.
  20. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    It sounds like you might have a hardware malfunction, but I would start with a factory reset, to rule it out.

A reset isn't fun, but it probably isn't as big a pain as you might think. (I say that having reset to factory settings at least a few times among all my iDevices.) You can back up to the cloud if you prefer, but there's no reason you can't back up to a computer. That wouldn't cost anything. Even if you don't own a computer, you could back up to one belonging to a friend, a family member or work, depending on your circumstances.

I'm sure it's been frustrating having to deal with so many issues. In your place, I would've quickly troubleshooted through everything I could, including resetting to factory settings, rather than let things linger, which might've prolonged the problems unnecessarily.

By the way, what adapter would you have to buy? Synching to computer requires only the USB cord that came with your iPad.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012