What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition to encourage Apple to bring ios6 to ipad 1

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 1 is being left behind. The OS has outgrown the hardware. There are already people who are suggesting that ios5.1.1 slows down the iPad 1.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think Apple would rather that us iPad 1 users start upgrading hardware. Even if the iPad 1 could run IOS6 trouble free, keeping the operating system fully up to date would be bad for business :)

I'm holding off getting a new iPad until our local wireless carrier starts offering LTE.. Then I'll consider it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want iOS 6 on iPad 1. They barely got iOS 5 to work reasonably on iPad 1, and that took upgrades to 5.1.1 to do it properly with iPad 1's paltry RAM.

Better that they stop firmware upgrades when reasonable, so our older hardware can at least keep functioning. Apple has had experience over-upgrading firmware beyond hardware capability.

With iPhone 3G, they upgraded firmware too far and made the browsing and apps use basically non-functional. That led to class-action attempts against Apple.

I'm not lawsuit happy, but I thought it was crazy that they basically killed the smart part of my iPhone 3G by over-upgrading.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I don't want iOS 6 on iPad 1. They barely got iOS 5 to work reasonably on iPad 1, and that took upgrades to 5.1.1 to do it properly with iPad 1's paltry RAM.

Better that they stop firmware upgrades when reasonable, so our older hardware can at least keep functioning. Apple has had experience over-upgrading firmware beyond hardware capability.

With iPhone 3G, they upgraded firmware too far and made the browsing and apps use basically non-functional. That led to class-action attempts against Apple.

I'm not lawsuit happy, but I thought it was crazy that they basically killed the smart part of my iPhone 3G by over-upgrading.

So if ram is an issue, why would the iPhone 3GS be supported and not the ipad? They have the same ram, it's one thing to stop support for them when the hardware isn't functioning, but to support one and not another with equal or greater hardware? So to provide the option for 3GS users to upgrade, but not the iPad 1 owners, it's just messed up. It should be both or neither.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if ram is an issue, why would the iPhone 3GS be supported and not the ipad? They have the same ram, it's one thing to stop support for them when the hardware isn't functioning, but to support one and not another with equal or greater hardware? So to provide the option for 3GS users to upgrade, but not the iPad 1 owners, it's just messed up. It should be both or neither.

I would think that supporting iPhone apps on the same RAM would be less difficult than supporting iPad apps.

Last edited:

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I would think that supporting iPhone apps on the same RAM would be less difficult than support iPad apps.

That sounds about right. What they should do though is allow users to upgrade, but still sign for ios 5.1.1 downgrade if they choose. But hey can't change anything now right...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds about right. What they should do though is allow users to upgrade, but still sign for ios 5.1.1 downgrade if they choose. But hey can't change anything now right...

If they don't think they could support it reasonably, I doubt they'd want to offer it at all, even as an option. Imagine the screaming among unhappy customers who'd spent time and effort to upgrade, only to find out that the upgrade gummed up their hardware, only to be told, "Well, you could downgrade."

fanckush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come on, i cant live with this ios 5.1.1 (verrrry slowwwww)
Actually i was thinking of downgrading to ios 4.3.3 or even 4.2.1, but i cant leave iMessage and iCloud.. :/

laself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, apple would rather lose customers than fix the problems that came with upgrading to ios5. Actually "downgrading" to ios5!!! Prior to 5 I had zero complaints. Now I'm ready to use this POS for target practice! I've tried resetting, disabled apps that we're suggested, etc. and still can't enjoy using my iPad1. I guess the next thing to try is hijacking. if Apple is going to leave iPad 1's in the past why wouldn't they at least offer one more upgrade to revert back to what worked, or offer a means to reload iOS 4? With their smug attitude toward the "old" stuff, I will never buy another Apple anything.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Um... Not going to happen.
Not only will Apple not pay attention/care, iOS 6 would run unbearably slow on the original iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts