What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put a tan embossed leather skin on my ipad and it looks awesome in the zaggmate case. I am going to put the non-embossed leather on the back of the zaggmate to match. I have the invisishield on the screen also. Love it all.

RE: bluetooth connection. I have only used the zaggmate with 4.2 so that is not the a worry. I did have some issues reconnecting, yesterday. But it was resolved by power cycling both products.

BrennB,

Thanks. Look forward to getting mine.

Rusty

iPadUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my Zagg Mate at Best Buy today and love it. I have a question about the function keys:

It appears that keys F5 thru F9 are currently not being used. Is it possible to assign things to those keys, such as macros (e.g., open email app) or assign text, such as a signature to one of those keys?

Congrats to the Zagg folks for an awesome product. This is my third iPad case, and I love it!

Maynard

Im almost positive that you can not macro these buttons. In the manuel, they don't explain that you can macro or assign buttons either. These could potentially be for an update in the future that allows you to macro them. That would be some sweet stuff right there;).

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put a tan embossed leather skin on my ipad and it looks awesome in the zaggmate case. I am going to put the non-embossed leather on the back of the zaggmate to match. I have the invisishield on the screen also. Love it all.

RE: bluetooth connection. I have only used the zaggmate with 4.2 so that is not the a worry. I did have some issues reconnecting, yesterday. But it was resolved by power cycling both products.

Thanks for the info on the skins,thats what I will be ordering,one for each side. Brown enbossed it is.:D

Al.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score

BrennB,
Question..does the skin have any effect on the Black band on the 3 G version.

Al

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Al, Good choice. I haven't noticed any issue with the antenna function since I put the skin on 2 weeks ago. No worries.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pairing Resolved

I accidentally upgraded to iOS 4.2.1 this morning and now it wont pair with my ZAGGmate.

After spending the day loading up another 250 apps and organizing everything into folders and the folders onto pages and organizing the apps within each folder, I sat down with the instructions and got the keyboard to pair without a problem.

When I tried it before I did it from memory and may have forgotten step 4 which means I never got to step 5.

The other thing I found was that it took a couple of restarts after I told the iPad to forget about the ZAGGmare pairing before it actually forgot about it. It remained on the Devices list as Not Connected.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please call customer support and we will replace your unit right away and make it worth your while. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Not sure what you meant by make it worth my while* but the replacement keyboard arrived today and I've been using it all evening. It's a bit tiny for my large hands but I seem to be adjusting and it's way more convenient than my Microsoft BT 6000 for everyday use.

After spending a couple of hours with it the word that comes to mind is "elegant." You have a great product here.

* I was hoping there would be a leather skin or some Seahawks tickets in there with it.
: )

Langtang

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, I very rarely read COMPLETE threads ( I know, rtfm... my bad... ;-) ) but on this occasion I made an exception. What a great thread, and what a wonderful initial review by Mickey330 - thank you so much. I now cannot wait to get my hands on this piece of kit.

BTW, I preordered one of these midway through December, and I got an email on the 17th saying it had shipped. Has anyone in the UK received their ZAGGmate yet, and how long did it take to arrive?

Regards
Dave

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave:

Thanks for the nice comments ... and congrats for reading through this whole thing. It's a long one, innit? :)

I hope your shipment shows up soon. Then, you'll get to see what we all are talking about. It really is a terrific "bit of kit"!

Marilyn

Water Street

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my zagg mate for Christmas as well. It's going to work great for note taking in meetings and for basic word processing. One thing that is not working for me however is the way it splits into two pieces without a way to just flip the ipad in place. The two pieces are hard to deal with especially when traveling. Any way to lock the ipad in place when it is upside down for traditional ipad use?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upside down

The ZAGGmate wasn't designed to be used upside down as you describe. The iPad necessitated this approach due to its rounded back. However, an approach not obvious to most is to open the hinge and then turn the iPad upside down. This puts it on the same angle as Apple's stand which is good for drawing and other similar activities where you want a flatter angle. Could also be useful for media consumption on your lap in a bus or train.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, I very rarely read COMPLETE threads ( I know, rtfm... my bad... ;-) ) but on this occasion I made an exception. What a great thread, and what a wonderful initial review by Mickey330 - thank you so much. I now cannot wait to get my hands on this piece of kit.

BTW, I preordered one of these midway through December, and I got an email on the 17th saying it had shipped. Has anyone in the UK received their ZAGGmate yet, and how long did it take to arrive?

Regards
Dave

I too am from the UK and ordered my Zaggmate at the start of December. I got an email on the 13th Dec, stating that it had been shipped. As of yet I still havent recieved it. Unfortunatly I didn't choose tracking, (didn't see the option for the more expensive shipping) so have no way of tracking where it is! :(

KenJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My take on the Zaggmate

Zagg, thanks for providing a simple answer for an irritating issue for me. What a good idea, keeping the Zaggmate and iPad together but with the keyboard out of sight by simply laying the iPad backside over the keys, but with the hinge in the up position. And .. As a side advantage, it gives the iPad a nice tilt for non-keyboard work while keeping both parts essentially attached.

More:

1. I now use my Zaggmate for both my iPad and my Mac Mini. Works great .. Takes up less room on my desk and is easy to move out of the way when I want more desk space.

2. I solved my left-pinky-hitting-the-caps-lock-key issue by snapping off the key top and placing a bit of electricians tape in its place. It still works fine by pressing on the tape. Wouldn't it be nice if that key had a smaller footprint with more space between it and the 'a'.

3. It's great having the ability to use the Mac shortcut keys on this keyboard. Using the special function keys works out well too. Between the two, the Zaggmate adds quite a lot of functionality to the iPad.

4. Still no blemishes on my iPad, but can't say the same for my Zaggmate. Apple either uses a harder aluminum or they anodize theirs.

5. Skins are a must for protection - and - a must for addressing the slippery iPad/Zaggmate surfaces issue. Big surprise .. Zagg makes NO skin pairs for the iPad Zaggmate combo. C'mon Zagg, we're waiting for your left hand to catch up with your right.

6. Zagg .. You've shown really good engineering in making such an effective keyboard while at the same time making the Zaggmate/iPad package so light and compact .. and .. good looking. Great job!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great idea on using the ipad laying down in the tray. Thanks for that!
I too have issues with the caps lock but I'm getting better at knowing where my fingers are. As for the skins issue, I have the embossed leather already on my ipad so I ordered the matching plain leather for the bottom of the Zaggmate.. I think it will work out nicely.

Most reactions