What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

jtiggidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In regards to the sleep mode, yes, the ZAGGmate goes into sleep after a couple minutes of inactivity to save the battery. The battery really does last a long time. You can tell this feature works when you stop typing for a few minutes and then need to press a button once to wake it up and then again to get the iPad to respond to it. The sleep works so well, I don't ever turn mine off myself. If you won't be using it for several days, you should probably turn it off, because that completely cuts all power to the circuitry. When in sleep, it is using a VERY small amount of energy waiting for a key press. This is why we chose a power switch over a power button. Power buttons typically use juice waiting for someone to touch the button. Sorry, TMI. Anyway, I'm glad you love your ZAGGmate.

Thanks alot for replying.. you do your company a great service by being active on forums like this... It's really nice to know that you guys care. I wish I could say the same about some other companies.

I did get time to spend with my ZaggMate last night after I made the post and did in fact see that when you turn the ipad off and the bluetooth connection is broken the keyboard does suspend. When you turn the ipad back on, the bluetooth connection is not re-established. The second you hit a key it does. Well done!

I have since got one for my girlfriend and my mom for xmas. You guys should sell a TON of these!

Now if you guys just sold a leather skin kit for the ipad + zaggmate for something less than the $100 buck it would cost to buy two. And also if the ZaggMate one wrapped the edges it would be bad ass.

Thanks again for the reply.

legub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RE: Bogus Zagg discount codes

You can possibly see ZAGGmate work with discount codes in the future. But, right now the discount codes for ZAGG do NOT work

Keep an eye on this article for updates:
codes4discount.com/2010/zaggmates-coming-a-docking-mate-for-your-ipad

I am guessing it will start working in January.

Don't waste your time on the above mentioned site. The only codes that even somewhat reliably work are the 20% ones, but only on certain items, NOT ZaggMate.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just put a leather skin on my ipad in preparation for XMAS day... so it can go with my zaggmate... now I'm thinking I would add the same skin to the back of the zaggmate It would look fine with the brushed aluminum edge around the sides... I think it would go nicely.

legub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upcoming Microsoft Win7 Tablet w/keyboard

Latest rumors (NYTimes) on the MS Win7 Tablets to be announced at CES in a couple weeks is that the Samsung version will include a Slide-out physical keyboard. If so, it reinforces the utility of a real keyboard like the ZaggMate.

IMO, Apple could have easily done what Zagg did, but did not want the iPad to cannibalize their MacBook sales. This is the same REAL reason for Apple's crippling of the iPad from running Flash. (sorry Steve Jobs..you are still awesome). Eventually, competitive market conditions will force Apple to de-cripple iOS to support Flash, as Android and Win7 tabs gain Tablet market share.

My prediction: (1) Look for iOS Flash support by early next year and on iPad2, and (2) Jobs (to the extent his pride will allow) to make limited amends with Adobe.

My Christmas wish: A blockbuster MMA PPV event between Steve Jobs and Donald Trump titled "Battle of Mega-Egos" ;)

jtiggidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt flash will ever happen on the iPad. First, Flash blows.. current web technology with JQuery is better and once HTML5 gets here flash will be history! Any decent web developer is over flash and plenty of sites are already making the move.

Second, real reason for not supporting flash is to protect their marketplace. Why buy bejeweled from the app store when you can play it on facebook free. I dont see them budging on that any time soon.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just put a leather skin on my ipad in preparation for XMAS day... so it can go with my zaggmate... now I'm thinking I would add the same skin to the back of the zaggmate It would look fine with the brushed aluminum edge around the sides... I think it would go nicely.

Doesn't that leather skin look great on the iPad? I have put one on mine (the embossed black one) and I just love it.

I bought a regular Zagg skin for the back of my Zaggmate - mainly because my mom loved the design. I like it a lot and it looks great. I have to admit, although I felt a bit silly buying a protective skin for a protective cover, I am much happier with the cover on. I've attached a picture so you can see it, with another one of the leather skin - both with the iPad in the case (so you can see that it does make a nice, compact package). The skin great, albeit a bit more metal shows as the keyboard case is a bit bigger than the iPad. But, most of the metal is covered, which is a bonus (and, even with the plastic skin versus the leather - it's not so darn COLD!).

TBH - I still like the idea of having the leather skin on both sides. If you do buy one - please post a picture so I can see if it looks as cool as I think it will.

Oh, and on a side note - only 4 more days 'til your "mean" son gives you your present. Hang in there!

Marilyn

Attachments

• iPadBack.JPG
    iPadBack.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 363
  • KeyboardBack.JPG
    KeyboardBack.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 310

wannaride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my ZaggMate keyboard case a couple of days ago. Love it! Looks good, keyboard syncs easily and keyboard has a sleep mode so you don't have to keep turning it off. Yes the keys are tight and for heavy lifting Ill still use my iMac wireless keyboard but for most uses it works very well. My only complaint is that Zagg wants to sell you protective sheets and doesn't seem to have any finish on the metal case. Use the four bottom pads that come in the package and this becomes less of a problem.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received my Zaggmate yesterday but never had the chance to hold it,BH took it away and wrapped it and its under the tree.
Looking forward to the leather skin cover.

Al

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't that leather skin look great on the iPad? I have put one on mine (the embossed black one) and I just love it.

I bought a regular Zagg skin for the back of my Zaggmate - mainly because my mom loved the design. I like it a lot and it looks great. I have to admit, although I felt a bit silly buying a protective skin for a protective cover, I am much happier with the cover on. I've attached a picture so you can see it, with another one of the leather skin - both with the iPad in the case (so you can see that it does make a nice, compact package). The skin great, albeit a bit more metal shows as the keyboard case is a bit bigger than the iPad. But, most of the metal is covered, which is a bonus (and, even with the plastic skin versus the leather - it's not so darn COLD!).

TBH - I still like the idea of having the leather skin on both sides. If you do buy one - please post a picture so I can see if it looks as cool as I think it will.

Oh, and on a side note - only 4 more days 'til your "mean" son gives you your present. Hang in there!

Marilyn

I know the waiting is killing me. I have the tan embossed on the iPod but thinking non embossed for the case back. I like the back you chose, now I need to look again before I order...I never thought about the coldness....good argument for adding then skin!

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I visited our local BB to see the Zaggmate however they were out it. I just can not justify paying $100 for a keyboard.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to know if and when closed the keyboard will be touching my iPad screen? I do not and will not place a film on my screen.
Thanks

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to know if and when closed the keyboard will be touching my iPad screen? I do not and will not place a film on my screen.
Thanks

I hear ya, Blackbelt, on not having a film protector on the screen. I also worried about that with the Zaggmate, but no, the keyboard is recessed into the case.

See the attached picture? The red arrows I drew point to the only areas that touch the screen and they are made of some soft material. I assume it's the same foam that lines the case (that holds the iPad in). It's very soft and has a bit of "give" to it. The actual plastic keyboard does not touch the screen.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Attachments

• Zaggmate.jpg
    Zaggmate.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 354

KenJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my Zaggmate

I bought a Zaggmate for its excellent bluetooth keyboard. It’s a big improvement in quite a few ways over the keyboard on the touch screen. With it, the iPad is a lot easier to use when working interactively. If, though, it were in my power to change the Zaggmate, I'd install an enable/disable switch for the Caps Lock key (left pinky on my large hands keeps activating it - I sometimes look down at the screen and suddenly see all caps).

I already have a Belkin Grip 360 which provides good protection .. and .. it provides a stand that works in both portrait and landscape mode (also adjusts to variable tilt allowing for easy correction for reflection).

Typically I leave the Grip 360 in place, even when using the Zaggmate keyboard (I use the 360's variable tilt mechanism leaving the Zaggmate's fixed tilt mount in the unused position). Leaving the Grip 360 on the iPad keeps it well protected .. and .. allows me to, if desired, easily switch over to the 360’s backside strap mount for internet and iBook/Kindle use when lounging in bed or on the couch.

Note: The iPad won’t fit into the Zaggmate as long as the Grip 360 is in place. I am though going to try to find a way to mount the two together.

There are several keyboard cases available out there now, but they either add too much bulk, can't do both portrait and landscape, have no variable tilt angle, or the keyboard is cheap and not useful for accurate or prolonged typing. This Zagg/Belkin combo is perfect for people like me who treasure flexibility.

smkcpa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work at ZAGG and appreciate your comments. To help with your function keys, here are some basics:
Copy: Command C
Cut: Command X
Paste: Command V
Undo: Command Z
End: Command right arrow
Beginning: Command Left Arrow
Page UP: Command Up Arrow
Page Down: Command Down Arrow
Select All: Command A
Select Left: Shift Left
Select Right: Shift Right
Select Down: Shift Down
Select Up: Shift Up

Play around with them a bit. You'll really like the select functions rather than needing to touch the screen all the time. Enjoy.
is there a num lock command? I do a lot of spreadsheet work, and I would like to be able to enter numbers without having to hit Fn every time.

Most reactions

Latest posts