What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

drhulsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried holding the home and power button on the Ipad for about 15-17 seconds ?

I tried this. I was worried at first. I got a silver apple on a dark screen, but no button response. I guess it took a minute, because my "On" button began to work and voilá! Un clavier! Maybe that will solve the Zagg problem! I'll let you know.

Thanks!!
Tim

mtsant21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is also a delay from zagg to process my order (made on 19/04->Greece).

Hope at least that i will not face such malfunctions with my zaggmate when it will finally arrive. Cross my fingers.

Reaction score
Have you tried holding the home and power button on the Ipad for about 15-17 seconds ?

I tried this. I was worried at first. I got a silver apple on a dark screen, but no button response. I guess it took a minute, because my "On" button began to work and voilá! Un clavier! Maybe that will solve the Zagg problem! I'll let you know.

Thanks!!
Tim

Oops I forgot about the minute part. Sorry.
It's designed for if your iPad freezes but I've read many instances where it also corrected faulty functions. I wish it would fix my having to reenable my wifi every 20 minutes or so that says it's connected but it's really not, but that is a 4.3.1 issue that has yet to be resolved

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

laverydj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my Zaggmate earlier this week, I think its great, does exactly what it says on the tin, only complaint is the lack of information that comes with it, I have spent a long time trying to understand what the unassigned function keys do, can they be programmed etc.

David

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad only recognizes a few functions and we've tried to add them all to the ZAGGmate already. Perhaps in a future update to iOs, Apple will allow for customizing how it reacts to different key combinations. Until then, you can't do much. If you are thinking about PCs and Macs letting you do this, it is always software that runs on those computers that allow you to customize things. At the moment, iOs is too locked down. Also, if you want more documentation, go to our FAQs: ZAGG | Frequently Asked Questions This has several key combinations the iPad does accept.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Jtrosky, no, you don't need a minimum version of software. We have just found the OLD iOs software hade problems with bluetooth devices. The software you have should be fine. One problem with refurbs (very unusual, but it happens) is that the product gets returned because of an obscure issue (like you describe) then manufacturer does several tests and misses the problem and puts it back out there. Not sure if this is the case with yours, but possible. Still never a bad idea to update your software in case it has an issue. It really isn't that tough to update. It doesn't erase anything. I would start with that for now.

FYI, I decided to do a fresh install of 4.3.2 on my iPad, but I'm still having the random "key repeat" issue. I did connect my ZaggMate to my iPhone as well, but I couldn't make the problem happen there (although, I can't really make the problem happen on-demand either)...

Being that the issue started as soon as I got my refurb iPad (and the fact that I haven't been able to make it fail on my iPhone), leads me to believe the problem is with the iPad itself. I guess I'll be making another trip to the Apple store....

Think I'll have any issues getting another exchange due to this "Random" issue, even if I can't reproduce it it front of the Apple Genius'? What really sucks is that I'm going to lose my perfectly-installed screen protector again! Arrghh!!

mtsant21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Jtrosky, no, you don't need a minimum version of software. We have just found the OLD iOs software hade problems with bluetooth devices. The software you have should be fine. One problem with refurbs (very unusual, but it happens) is that the product gets returned because of an obscure issue (like you describe) then manufacturer does several tests and misses the problem and puts it back out there. Not sure if this is the case with yours, but possible. Still never a bad idea to update your software in case it has an issue. It really isn't that tough to update. It doesn't erase anything. I would start with that for now.

FYI, I decided to do a fresh install of 4.3.2 on my iPad, but I'm still having the random "key repeat" issue. I did connect my ZaggMate to my iPhone as well, but I couldn't make the problem happen there (although, I can't really make the problem happen on-demand either)...

Being that the issue started as soon as I got my refurb iPad (and the fact that I haven't been able to make it fail on my iPhone), leads me to believe the problem is with the iPad itself. I guess I'll be making another trip to the Apple store....

Think I'll have any issues getting another exchange due to this "Random" issue, even if I can't reproduce it it front of the Apple Genius'? What really sucks is that I'm going to lose my perfectly-installed screen protector again! Arrghh!!

Why dont you try pairing it with a second ipad2 from a friend and tell us what happened?

thinh3d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Zagg: do you have any estimate when and how long will shipment take to reach UK?
btw, while waiting for my zaggmate 2, I have this question and couldnt find an answer:
Can i change the viewing angle of the ipad while sitting on the zaggmate? I mean can we alter the hinge in some way that would provide a closer to 90degree than the default angle?

(sorry for my english though, its not my first language ^^)

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mtsant21 said:
Why dont you try pairing it with a second ipad2 from a friend and tell us what happened?

Like I said in the original post, I did pair it with my iPhone and couldn't seem to reproduce the problem there. Although, while I can make the problem happen usually by just holding down a key until it happens, I've also had times where I couldn't make it happen though, so I can't guarantee that it doesn't happen on the iPhone. Of course, I've never been able to make it happen on the iPhone though, so I am leaning towards an issue with bluetooth on the refurb iPad. I setup an appointment for this afternoon with a Genius tech - wish me luck (hopefully, I can make it happen in front of them).

I'll post my results!

Reaction score
Is there a supply shortage for UK orders?

My Zaggmate w/keyboard was pre-ordered on 11/4 and is In-Progress since 19/4. I had send Zagg.com an email regarding this issue two days ago, but so far without response.

Considering, that various other users already received their Zaggmate, do I find it odd, that mine doesn't even have a shipping estimate.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be in the office in a couple hours and get the latest. I know our fulfillment center in the UK had some issues but I don't want to give misinformation. I'll be back shortly with an update.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
Like I said in the original post, I did pair it with my iPhone and couldn't seem to reproduce the problem there. Although, while I can make the problem happen usually by just holding down a key until it happens, I've also had times where I couldn't make it happen though, so I can't guarantee that it doesn't happen on the iPhone. Of course, I've never been able to make it happen on the iPhone though, so I am leaning towards an issue with bluetooth on the refurb iPad. I setup an appointment for this afternoon with a Genius tech - wish me luck (hopefully, I can make it happen in front of them).

I'll post my results!

Ok, figured I'd post my experience at the Apple Store today... Of course, I couldn't make the problem happen in front of the guy (as soon as he walked away it happened though!)... The Apple tech then plugged a cable into my iPad to run some sort of diagnostics (anyone what they use to do that?) and that app reported "insufficent application memory" as the "problem", which the Tech assured me that the program is ALWAYS right!

Basically, he was saying that I need to close apps on the task bar to avoid these memory shortages!!! I thought apple told you that you dind';t have to do that since it does it automatically?!??!~

So, we then proceeded to close all apps and I was still able to make it happen (with only mail running). So, then the guy tells me my firmware must have been corrupt (since it can't be a lack of memory since Mail was the only app running at that point!).

They were actually not going to replace it for me! Obviously, I kept complaining and eventually I got my iPad exchanged. Basically, they were trying to tell me that it was NOT a hardware issue.

Oh, and by the way - the problem is NOT occurring on the replacement iPad! So, I really do believe it was a hardware issue.... So much for that app never being wrong! :)

I'm sorry, but the tech I got today was NOT very good...

mtsant21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be in the office in a couple hours and get the latest. I know our fulfillment center in the UK had some issues but I don't want to give misinformation. I'll be back shortly with an update.

Let me say that NOT only your UK fulfillment center Is having some issues. ZAGG is fulfilling orders from Europe in general with long delays. It's not a fair explanation to your customers that your international shipping facility has moved to Ireland. Also the partial refund for delay is not the best of the practices.

You DID waited a large amount of orders for the zaggmate for ipad2. It was obvious. So much advertisement and lots of pre-orders. You had to be prepared!

I've ordered it on 19/04. Order number: EU3382724. Still in process status. Count the working days by yourself and count also a 7-10 days for shipping to Greece.

I DO LIKE your product but I have to complain because I would like to order again from ZAGG in the future and I want better quality of business with faster order processing.

To ZAGG: Thank you in advance for reading this and hope you can do something to press the situation.

Most reactions