What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Oldradioguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my Zaggmate for my iPad 2 today. I really like the fit and am getting used to the small keyboard. Tried sitting outside tonight, but no backlight on keys didn't really work. After reading a few posts, I think I am going to attach the rubber pads tomorrow.

Is there a way to use the arrow keys to scroll throughout websites in Safari? I have been looking for an answer without any success.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple doesn't allow it. Maybe on a future iOS update. Regarding backlit keys, it would be nice if we could do it without sacrificing too much battery life but I've noticed my screen lights my keep up sufficiently for me. Maybe mess with screen brightness and see if you can find a level that works.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Apple doesn't allow it. Maybe on a future iOS update. Regarding backlit keys, it would be nice if we could do it without sacrificing too much battery life but I've noticed my screen lights my keep up sufficiently for me. Maybe mess with screen brightness and see if you can find a level that works.

Maybe a future enhancement could be to use that ink that absorbs light and then glows when it's dark on the keyboard keys! That would give some night-time lighting with no additional power needed!

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fantastic idea. I'll pass it along. If it started to lose its brightness, just hold iPad over the keys for a few seconds and you are good to go. I like it.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or... just put the iPad in the ZaggMate face down (like it "travels") and turn the iPad on for a few mins while in the case - it would directly "charge" the ink on the keys! Personally, I don't use the ZaggMate in the dark, but I could see it being a handy feature at times...

drhulsey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZaggMate with keyboard is the greatest concept for an iPad accessory, yet. However, I am having trouble with runaway typing on my ZaggMate keyboard/iPad. Each key pressed repeats until another is pressed. Then, that one repeats. I searched here for "runaway keys" and found nothing. It has not resolved with powering off iPad or keyboard. Now, my virtual keyboard is not popping up. It all started while I was adding a bookmark to Safari. I have seen this problem mentioned on another forum, but no real answers were forthcoming. I apologize if this has been discussed.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tim

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally, the only times we experience that runaway key issue is with iOs software that needs to be updated. If you hook up to your computer and update through iTunes, that should fix it. Is yours for iPad one or two? If that doesn't fix it, it's possible it is a bad ZAGGmate, but what you are describing is generally software. Our FAQ page (ZAGG | Frequently Asked Questions) will run you through software updates to your iPad. You can also call or email our customer service department for help.

Reaction score
ZaggMate with keyboard is the greatest concept for an iPad accessory, yet. However, I am having trouble with runaway typing on my ZaggMate keyboard/iPad. Each key pressed repeats until another is pressed. Then, that one repeats. I searched here for "runaway keys" and found nothing. It has not resolved with powering off iPad or keyboard. Now, my virtual keyboard is not popping up. It all started while I was adding a bookmark to Safari. I have seen this problem mentioned on another forum, but no real answers were forthcoming. I apologize if this has been discussed.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tim

Sometimes my "8" key decides it wants to act like iTunes and assimilate everything with 8s. A good hard tap 1 time on the 8 key stops it. At first I thought maybe it was a charge thing but it did it even after charging it.
My comma key doubles if I tap it too lightly so again ,when using the comma I just tap it instead of the usual whisper light touch needed to make the keys correspond.
Ipad1, non jail broken, 4.3.2

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you describe is most likely a ZAGGmate issue, not software. Call one of our customer service reps and they can help you out.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Generally, the only times we experience that runaway key issue is with iOs software that needs to be updated. If you hook up to your computer and update through iTunes, that should fix it.

Hmm, I'm a little confused by this statement... Are you saying that a minimum iOS version is required for the ZaggMate to operate correctly? If so, what version is that?

I'm curious because I never had an issue until I exchange my iPad for a refurb iPad. Now, every once in a while, when typing, the last character I typed will repeat for a few seconds, then the soft keyboard pops up for a second and then it disappears and everything goes back to normal... However, both the ipad itself AND the iOS version changed with I exchanged it. I was running iOS 4.2.1 with no issues on the iPad that I exchanged. The new one came with 4.3.1 and I seem to get the "key repeat" issue once in a while now (never got it before I exchanged the iPad).

I'm wondering if 4.3.1 is the culprit here, which is why I'm asking if there is a minimum OS level required for the ZaggMate. If I knew upgrading to 4.3.2 would fix, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Otherwise, it's a lot of work for nothing!

Could also be a problem with the refurb iPad as well I guess (although I don't have issues with any other bluetooth devices)...

Thanks!

Thanks.

Nicolasa77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, everyone. It appears we have a decent cross-section of people here and a lot of well thought-out discussion

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jtrosky, no, you don't need a minimum version of software. We have just found the OLD iOs software hade problems with bluetooth devices. The software you have should be fine. One problem with refurbs (very unusual, but it happens) is that the product gets returned because of an obscure issue (like you describe) then manufacturer does several tests and misses the problem and puts it back out there. Not sure if this is the case with yours, but possible. Still never a bad idea to update your software in case it has an issue. It really isn't that tough to update. It doesn't erase anything. I would start with that for now.

Reaction score
What you describe is most likely a ZAGGmate issue, not software. Call one of our customer service reps and they can help you out.

Who me? It's a mind over matter .I don't mind so it don't matter. If it gets worse or becomes a regular thing I will.
On that note how long will the Zagg mate for the Ipad 1 be available? Right now I could take mine back to Best Buy for exchange but they would have to get one from the warehouse and I'm not willing to wait 2 weeks without my Zagg mate for a minor annoyance.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark, we plan on selling the ZAGGmate for iPad one for quite a while. It's still very popular. If you decide to do an exchange, just call ZAGG, we will take care of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts