[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Mickey330, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ZAGG

ZAGG
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Just use the FN button like the shift button to activate secondary functions such as the F keys and the blue 10-key buttons

2. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    You have a very nice website and I spent a little time looking at what you have to offer regarding garden accessories. I was a bit intrigued about why a garden furniture provider would comment on technolgy...but if it sells furniture....

Your comment "Maybe better-off with an Apple wireless keyboard!" is such classic British understatement that it almost, not quite, denigrates your actual review. You all spent a lot of time reviewing this Zagg product with pictures etc. that I had to post that link so others can see how much more valuable your actual review was to this ongoing discussion, than what you noted here in this thread.

Zaggmate review from the Bau Outdoors offices

3. KenJr

KenJr
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Never thought to try the Fn-Esc combination. Works great. Thanks!

Why do I use my Zaggmate keyboard with my iMac? Quite frankly, I can type faster, even with my large fingers, using the Zaggmate than I can on any other keyboards I've used. Don't know why. It's a key pressure sensitivity thing I guess. I do though sometimes end up with double spaces between words. Maybe that's the price I pay for having such a sensitive (read fast) keyboard. Still, I wouldn't change a thing on it. I like it .. a lot.

4. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Zagg take note :)

5. ZAGG

ZAGG
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the self-promotion, but just in case you wanted to see it on TV or show your friends. Facebook, Twitter, whatever. The ZAGGmate will make an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show today on CBS. It will be on during the section with MC Hammer. Crazy bedfellows, I know, but should be fun.

6. legub

legub
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yep...that was wierd. I hope Zagg paid him at least 50 grand for the exposure :) But why didn't you give everyone in the audience a Zaggmate?:confused:

7. ZAGG

ZAGG
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It just happened. Obviously, we would love to give them out. Maybe next time...

8. canuckle

canuckle
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am on my second ZAGGmate. I thought the problems with the first were a fluke, and I really liked the design of the thing. While the first one I had failed to power on from the start, the second has a row of keys that have gone dead after just a couple of weeks of fairly light use. My experience with ZAGG's service support seemed pretty good at first, but went bad pretty fast, as the same person does not stay with your issue from start to resolution, and there is poor followthrough on commitments. I had wanted a replacement for my first keyboard, was offered same along with a screen protector for my trouble and the given a refund instead. So I used the refund to buy the second.

When the second malfunctioned, I sent a note to support explaining exactly what had gone wrong and what I had done to test and try resolving the problem. They sent me a message telling me to do what I told them I'd done. I asked for a refund, so they told me to send the keyboard back to them at my own expense, and then they would refund. I'll update if this is resolved differently, but my recommendation is to avoid this product and this company. That's what I'll be doing.

9. ZAGG

ZAGG
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Canuckle,

I want to offer my sincerest apologies regarding your recent experience. As you can see, we are very proud of our customer service department and the excellent service they provide. This level of service has been well documented in this forum. Frankly, I am embarrassed and disappointed in how this manner has been handled. Unfortunately, all it takes is one person having an off day to make your life difficult. I will get to the bottom of this. I am going to email you directly and have this resolved right away. Thanks for giving me a chance to make this right.

Thanks,

David

10. Rokr

Rokr
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Had a Zaggmate w/ keyboard for about 3 days before I returned it and went with a Kensington case, with integrated bt keyboard.
    For the record...
    The Zaggmate is an excellent product that unfortunately, had two shortcomings. LISTEN CLOSELY ZAGGMATE!

The foam surface that the screen of the ipad rests on while in the closed position is great, however, causes problems with the space bar. The keys are slightly lower than the foam so that they don't touch the screen. When you try to type, your thumb which rests on the bottom little strip of foam has to angle downwards to even touch the space bar. Drove me nuts while typing notes in class. Missed the space bar constantly.
    The second problem wasn't so much with the product as the usage of the ipad. Sure, the keyboard was a godsend when needing to type, but I found when I was holding the ipad for games and such, having to leave the Zaggmate on the table or wherever was a bit annoying (trivial, I know) but remember when the Zaggmate and ipad are in the closed position, the combined unit is so streamlined and solid that, once open, having two separate pieces seemed silly. Perhaps with the ipad2, since everyone seems to think the back will be flat, the zaggmate will be much easier to keep track of, since you'll be able to pop the new ipad into the zaggmate screen up so you still have just one piece? I understand that the current model can't accomodate the curved back of the existing ipad and that is why I've moved to the Kensington.

So who knows? Maybe with a little strip of foam on the space bar and ability to pop the ipad into the zaggmate screen up, I'll definitely go back. Again, I don't hate the Zaggmate, I think it's awesome. It just needs a few small tweaks to make it the ultimate case/keyboard!

Just my $.02.
    Rokr