[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Mickey330, Dec 1, 2010.

1. kc2ped

kc2ped
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Which side if the iPad the button is placed on is another decision Steve has left up to the end user
    Unfortunately some app programmers have taken that decision away from us and they all can't agree on which side the button should be on when they force us to use the iPad in portrait mode

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To use the ZAGGmate, it doesn't matter which side you have the home button. It's hooked up by bluetooth, so no wires. In fact, you don't even have to have the iPad IN the ZAGGmate case in order to use the keyboard. I use a plate-display wire thingy for normal viewing and use the keyboard separately.

If you want to charge the iPad while it is in the ZAGGmate, then yes, the button has to be on the left - cause that's where the [only] cut-out is. But, you aren't using it then, so no matter where the button is.

ZAGG has nothing to do with where your button is when you are using the keyboard. Where apps make you have your home button ... well, that's the specific app.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

3. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    if there is one thing I'd change about my Zaggmate it's the docking connector cut out. It's on the wrong side. If you place the iPad so that it matches up with the dock connector the volume control is against the keyboard which means you have to use the onscreen volume control or the Zagg's volume controls, neither of which I like as much as simply touching the rocker on "top" of the screen.

I don't understand why there aren't two cut outs, one on each side.

4. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You could always make one with a drill and a file. I am going to make headphone, speaker and volume switch cutouts on mine.

5. richgalen

richgalen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Just tried the leather-backed iPad in the original Apple case. It fits fine.

6. jcbeam19

jcbeam19
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Great! Thanks so much for trying it and posting the results!

7. ZAGG

ZAGG
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Charging Port Location

USBill,

Good thoughts on Charging port location. We discussed this issue when designing the ZAGGmate and we opted to go with the direction that provides the most protection when closed. In doing this, the Volume and mute switches are protected by the metal case and not exposed to whatever may be on the inside of a book back or briefcase or life, etc. As you mention, this layout encourages some users to flip the iPad over to leave the volume and mute switch on top. I do this sometimes too. But, for those who may not know, those buttons don't get smashed when in portrait mode. The angle of the iPad keeps the weight off them. Also, you can adjust volume and mute, etc with the keyboard keys.

So, the obvious question then is why not have a cutout on both sides? We wanted to keep it as clean and as strong as possible. An extra cutout in the aluminum would weaken the case a bit if bent along the middle and an extra cutout in the protective inner edge for the on/ off button would take away from the look just slightly. Further, it's not THAT hard to flip it whatever direction you want.

Anyway, this is not me saying, "hold it this way or that way." It is simply my way of saying, yes, we thought of that, but came to a conclusion that couldn't possibly satisfy every user. I hope you understand our conclusions. I certainly understand yours.

As always, thanks for your thoughts and comments. Then gen 2 will be even more refined because of your comments.

By the way, to the user thinking of taking a Dremel to the ZAGGmate....Please be Careful.

8. Al Rogers

Al Rogers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:

Maybe I didnt explain my post better, I mean the home button on the ipad,looking at pictures of the Zaggmate with ipad sitting in it the home button on the ipad is on the left side. I tried it that way and evrything is upside down.

Al:confused:

9. EthnicHipster

EthnicHipster
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm typing this with my newly replaced Zaggmate. No spacing issues so far (I noticed that it might also have to do with the fact that when you start typing in something other than English and don't change the language of the keyboard itself, it might "confuse" the Ipad). Anyway, I'm incredibly impressed with the response I got from their team (don't hesitate to give them a call, they're much faster that way that emails back and forth). Kudos, Zagg. I will be looking out for new products from your company.

10. ZAGG

ZAGG
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Al,

It sounds like you have your auto-rotate turned off. The iPad usually rotates the image to whatever makes it right side up. However, you may have turned this off by accident. Depending on your software, that is either changed by the switch on the side or by double clicking your home button, sliding the icons on the bottom from left to right, then clicking on the lock icon. That will either lock your screen orientation or unlock it. Give it a shot. If you were referring to something else, then never mind.