What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone preordered the new model Zaggmate bluetooth iPad keyboard?
I have and just received an e-mail notification that it should be shipping by about mid-month. I have the ZaggMate/keyboard combination for the iPad 1 which I continue to use as follows: I use the Smart Cover as the covering for the screen. I place the iPad+cover face down into the ZaggMate device with the magnetic clips facing toward the top of the unit. That puts the iPad port on the wrong side, but that's not an issue for me.

The additional height and thickness of the Smart Cover allows the iPad 2 to fit in the original ZaggMate perfectly. It is only a temporary solution, as my wife is (a) the new proud owner of my iPad 1 and (b) is impatiently waiting for me to release control of my ZaggMate.

pm36064

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When will it be in retailers and ship?

When will it be in retailers and also if I order today how long of a delay should I expect?

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg doesn't fit my taste at all. The back of the ipad is exposed. that doesn't make much sense to me for a case.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MC Hammer's leather ZaggSkin should solve that problem nicely. Of course. I made a custom Gelaskin. Hope it fits.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG will begin shipping Wednesday the 6th and should be all caught up by Monday the 11th. Retailers wil be getting it around the first of next week also.

Regarding the exposed back on iPad. I understand your point and ZAGG may do something in the future that deals with that. Not a guarantee, but we are aware of that concern and we like to give people options when possible. This is in no way an attempt to change your mind, but what most people find is it is just as safe as a MacBook would be while staying very thin and light. Aluminum on top, aluminum underneath, glass protected in the middle. If you are concerned about scratches, invisibleSHIELDs, LEATHERskins, ZAGGskins, and many other products deal with that. Ironically, there are many cases out there that leave the glass exposed but you never hear anyone say, "but the glass is exposed." I suppose the best way to cover both sides is a folio type design. I find it interesting that even Apple went away from that concept. I think Apple's move validates our thoughts about the ZAGGmate somewhat.

This sounds defensive and was not meant that way at all. I understand your point and even Porsche makes an SUV. ZAGG is aware of your desire and may be addressing it. Keep your eyes peeled.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a leather skin for my Ipad 1/ZaggMate combo not because I was concerned about scratches, but because having two relatively smooth aluminum surfaces made it too hard to hang onto when I walked with it. The leather skin provided enough friction to make me feel much more confident that the system wasn't going to slip out of my hands - especially in winter when gloves made it much tougher to get a good feel for it.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
leather skin too big for ipad 2 back (for my taste)

I bought a leather skin for my Ipad 1/ZaggMate combo not because I was concerned about scratches, but because having two relatively smooth aluminum surfaces made it too hard to hang onto when I walked with it. The leather skin provided enough friction to make me feel much more confident that the system wasn't going to slip out of my hands - especially in winter when gloves made it much tougher to get a good feel for it.

I have leather skin too. I thought about putting it on last night but when I lined it up (plastic still on) I noticed that it covers the speaker and rounds the edges a little more than I'd like. I expected it to be an inch (maybe less) smaller than the ipad and if only on the flat back, not surround the edges. I didn't open the invidisible sheild either. Because after the durability test I saw on youtube, I'm confident the screen will be fine. I'm sure their both fine products, they just don't suit me. So I'm on the hunt for a skin again.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are referring to the new LEATHERskin for the iPad 2. I am very surprised that it would cover the speaker. I'll email you and see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Riyo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ZAGG I am leaving the Netherlands for a big Travel Exhibition in South Africa on April 30. What is the best way to get one before April 30?

Richard

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked on the leather and it was for an iPad 1 not iPad 2. Due to the shape differences, we needed new cuts for the iPad 2 and we should have a finalized version available soon.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regarding shipping to South Africa, here is what our shipping people tell me.

"The fastest way would be UPS Worldwide Express, which takes 1-3 business days after it ships from our facility. It is quite expensive for that shipping method, though. It's showing around $170 just for shipping.

The only other shipping option they have is First Class Mail International, which takes 7-10 business days after it ships. It only costs around $13.

Also, the ship time frames really depend on if their shipment gets through customs quickly or gets stuck at all."

Sounds good to me. We should have all orders in the system shipped no later than mid next week, so that should give you a good idea of timing.

Most reactions