What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Hotspots

langis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody else here is upset at the fact that personal Hotspots are not available with the iPad 3G?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
langis said:
Anybody else here is upset at the fact that personal Hotspots are not available with the iPad 3G?

It isn't on the 3GS neither, but bluetooth tethering works... Close enough...

VicoPad addict!

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am that my 3gs cant do it, well I know it can I did it with JB, but I think the update should have included wifi tethering with 3gs, not paying more money only to use via BT!

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPhone 3GS, if I go to settings>general>network it tells me about Internet tethering over Bluetooth, wifi and USB cable.Is it actually like the personal hotspot feature or not.If I click it, it tells me that I need to contact my provider, which is a romanian carrier.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Sadly, cell providers have control over tethering. To enable that feature, you have to pay some extra cash to you provider. In my case, with Rogers in Canada, it is enabled at no extra fees if you have a data plan of at least 1Gig.

VicoPad addict!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BT tethering is a lot slower than wifi tethering. Faster speeds with wifi ;-)

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah thats why I want wifi tethering on 3gs, Im not going to pay more if I cant tether the way I want, I will just wait for the new JB and go back to using pdanet to tether!

BuayaGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't need to tether that often - I go to several places with hotspots available, but I do tether at work (severely crippled/blocked sites) during lunch, or the rare times at home if the cable messes up. There's no way I'm giving up my unlimited plan and drop to 2 gigs a month, *plus* then pay another $20 just for the privilege to tether? MyWi is a real lifesaver :)

Smooth65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was enjoying tethering until I received the dreaded email from AT&T. They are going to up my data plan on the 16th if don't stop tethering. Anyone else get this message?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What i want to know is if they change peoples plans to the tethering one, can they still use mywi or pdanet to tether??

Reaction score
David79 said:
What i want to know is if they change peoples plans to the tethering one, can they still use mywi or pdanet to tether??

Of course you can.

The provider cannot identify which software you use for tethering, nor does anyone really care.

Any mobile device going online sends along it's unique IMEI/ICCID, so when you tether, is suddenly a second number showing up, thus they provider knows that you are tethering. But when you pay for a tethering plan, is this irrelevant.

Last edited:

shirell0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smooth65 said:
I was enjoying tethering until I received the dreaded email from AT&T. They are going to up my data plan on the 16th if don't stop tethering. Anyone else get this message?

Hi-

Yes, I received this email at 12 noon today as well and a few of my friends. I called a rep @ att and was told if I tether, my plan will be changed automatically and I can not go back to unlimited data plan. So I deleted Mywi off my phone and I order dsl for my home. Mywi was my purpose of jb'n

This really sucks because my ipad 2 16gb wifi delivers tomorrow. But hey I just ordered internet.

ATT r starting to get ridiculous. How can you cap unlimited? Unlimited is Unlimited, basically they saw people using their unlimited data plan to tether and want to start charging.

It it wasnt for the iphone or ipad I wonder how business would be.

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So does my wi-fi only iPad and or my laptop have it's own imei/iccid #? I would have thought AT&T would just see the 3G device online? I have tethered briefly like during Internet outages or short trips since 2006 without getting trouble ? Is AT&T using new technology or just cracking down?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is, there are some people with the unlimited data plan ( I still have it, but I got rid of my JB while ago, so no tethering) They are getting these emails and having their plans changed even though there is no tethering, just using a lot of data. But I agree with what shirell0 said, and so do many others, we are paying for unlimited data, and if you look up that word, it does not say unlimited but with a cap lol so if we are paying for it and using it through phone only, they should not have the right to just change your plan. I use netflix and pandora when I have a signal which isnt often lately, so screw em lol

Most reactions