What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Hotspot and Bluetooth

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have an iPhone 3Gs. I would like to know if I got an Ipad Wi-Fi only if I could share the Iphone 3G connection through the Bluetooth. I have tried it with an Ipod touch but it will not connect. Does anyone have hat combo to give it a try?
Not only would it save me the $150 in price but swapping out the SIM card also.

Thanks

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Ncaissie said:
Hi

I have an iPhone 3Gs. I would like to know if I got an Ipad Wi-Fi only if I could share the Iphone 3G connection through the Bluetooth. I have tried it with an Ipod touch but it will not connect. Does anyone have hat combo to give it a try?
Not only would it save me the $150 in price but swapping out the SIM card also.

Thanks

I have the 3GS also and the iPad 1 16G wifi only. And yes, tethering via bluetooth does work really well. As I said in another post, iPhone 3GS + iPad 1 wifi = iPad 2 3G!

VicoPad addict!

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I have the iPad two with 3G. The 3G is not hooked up. I can't connect my iPad to my iPhone 3GS.
I wanted to avoid getting the 3G hooked up. I'm glad I didn't go with wifi only. I almost did.

I wonder if something is wrong with my phones Bluetooth.

64GB 3G White iPad

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I have the 3GS also and the iPad 1 16G wifi only. And yes, tethering via bluetooth does work really well. As I said in another post, iPhone 3GS + iPad 1 wifi = iPad 2 3G!

VicoPad addict!

What jb app do you use for that since Bluetooth isn't supported by iOS out of the box?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
ajneuman said:
What jb app do you use for that since Bluetooth isn't supported by iOS out of the box?

It is not jail broken. With the new iOS 4.3, it just work out of the box. Of course I have tethering available from my provider (Rogers). You just activate Bluetooth on both devices so the iPad can see the iPhone for pairing, and after that, if I want to connect to my iPhone, I just enable the connection from my iPad.

Download speed is good, but upload speed is a bit slow.

VicoPad addict!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Ncaissie said:
So, I have the iPad two with 3G. The 3G is not hooked up. I can't connect my iPad to my iPhone 3GS.
I wanted to avoid getting the 3G hooked up. I'm glad I didn't go with wifi only. I almost did.

I wonder if something is wrong with my phones Bluetooth.

64GB 3G White iPad

Make sure that your tethering option from your provider is enabled. For example, with Rogers (in Canada), if your data plan is at least of 1G a month, tethering is available at no charge.

On the iPhone, make sure that the option for sharing Internet connection is activated, and then once for pairing, make sure that your iPhone is discoverable (go in the Bluetooth configuration while it is scanning of bluetooth devices). Oh yeah, you need iOS 4.3 on both devices...

VicoPad addict!

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
Make sure that your tethering option from your provider is enabled. For example, with Rogers (in Canada), if your data plan is at least of 1G a month, tethering is available at no charge.

On the iPhone, make sure that the option for sharing Internet connection is activated, and then once for pairing, make sure that your iPhone is discoverable (go in the Bluetooth configuration while it is scanning of bluetooth devices). Oh yeah, you need iOS 4.3 on both devices...

VicoPad addict!

But would that prevent me from connecting to the bluetooth period?
I can't even get the two devises to see each other.

64GB 3G White iPad

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Ncaissie said:
But would that prevent me from connecting to the bluetooth period?
I can't even get the two devises to see each other.

64GB 3G White iPad

No, you can still use other devices. I just don't know if you can use them at the same time...

VicoPad addict!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
See screen capture as my iPad is connected to my iPhone...

VicoPad addict!

Attachments

• image-241441144.png
    image-241441144.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 450
OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPone does not show in the list. Neither does my iPod touch or the iPad.
I can put them all together on searching but not one will show the other devices.
But my Bluetooth headset shows on all devices.
Very strange.

64GB 3G White iPad

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Ncaissie said:
My iPone does not show in the list. Neither does my iPod touch or the iPad.
I can put them all together on searching but not one will show the other devices.
But my Bluetooth headset shows on all devices.
Very strange.

64GB 3G White iPad

I don't know what to say as it worked like a charm in my case... Just as a reminder:

1 - make sure that tethering is enabled on your iPhone (and available)
2 - that no other device is connected via Bluetooth
3 - that iPad and iPhone are in discoverable (start with the iPad, then start the iPhone so the iPad will pick it up)
4 - i'm not sure but I think I had to disable wifi on my iPad to force things...
5 - and that iOS 4.3 is on both devices

That's all I can think of now...

VicoPad addict!

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you can see they both see the headset but can't see each other.

Attachments

• image-4195768260.png
    image-4195768260.png
    354.5 KB · Views: 218

addision

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad Bluetooth problem

I was having trouble with my Ipad seeing my iphone as a bluetooth device. After searching and searching I could not find any answer to solve the problem. I would turn on and off both devices and still no luck.

What finally worked for me was to update the Ipad to the newest update.

Originally I had IOS 4.2.1 on Ipad
Updated to IOS 4.3.5

Iphone is an Iphone 4 with IOS 4.3.3 and jailbroken with Tetherme to enable the hotspot.

As soon as I updated the Ipad, the bluetooth recognized my iphone.

Most reactions