What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Cloud Storage

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been watching this thread with interest as I am trying to figure out the perfect home cloud system for myself.

As far as I have been able to find out, the CloudFTP will only transfer files from your iPad using apps. Goodreader has been used (PDF and Text) and I believe there will soon be a CloudFTP app. So really at the moment it's not much better than the GoFlex Satellite.

I like the flexibility of the PogoPlug over MyBookLive, by that I mean I can add different usb storage devices. But ultimately I'm looking for home cloud storage that allows file upload/download from any device.

Think I'll have to dust off my old linux handbook.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
followthesapper said:
I have been watching this thread with interest as I am trying to figure out the perfect home cloud system for myself.

As far as I have been able to find out, the CloudFTP will only transfer files from your iPad using apps. Goodreader has been used (PDF and Text) and I believe there will soon be a CloudFTP app. So really at the moment it's not much better than the GoFlex Satellite.

I like the flexibility of the PogoPlug over MyBookLive, by that I mean I can add different usb storage devices. But ultimately I'm looking for home cloud storage that allows file upload/download from any device.

Think I'll have to dust off my old linux handbook.

I will provide a full report on the CloudFTP as soon as I get it. There are workarounds for the My Book Live although I haven't got round to trying everything out yet.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One problem with the Pogoplug is that no iOS/Android app that I have can write/read to/from it directly, other than the Pogoapp. I can use it on PCs, though, for moving files. I can stream music and movies from it using the Pogoplug app on iOS and Android.

It seems that the Air Stash, with its support for WebDAV, allows several apps to see the drive itself, from within the app. I have tested this in iOS but not on Android as the stash seems to not like Android that much and there is no app support for Android. On iOS, GoodReader, and the iWork (Apple) apps can see the Air Stash. Of course, the Air Stash is not cloud storage, but I mention it because of what WebDAV offers.

So, a personal cloud storage option that supports the WebDAV standard would seem to have the best support on iOS. I don't know if any do.

I do like all of these ports on the Pogoplug. You can use them all at the same time, too, or one or another.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Been looking at some good sites for hacking the MyBookLive

there are some interesting options, need to read some more.

You can also install the Barracuda drive to get WebDAV support........gets more interesting the more I read :)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Iomega storecenter IX2-200 cloud edition NAS has several advantages it seems. It has raid drives for protection in case one drive fails. It supports a wide variety of protocols - CIFS, FTP, WebDAV, iscsi, and many others.

Including it has an app for iOS, windows, Mac that makes it easy to connect over the cloud.

Not the cheapest solution, but pretty versatile. I've been able to find the 1TB model for what a single drive solution would have cost.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
followthesapper said:
Been looking at some good sites for hacking the MyBookLive

there are some interesting options, need to read some more.

You can also install the Barracuda drive to get WebDAV support........gets more interesting the more I read :)

Thanks for that heads up, I just took a look at the Barracuda drive and it does look very interesting. I'm going to have to do some more reading.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Iomega storecenter IX2-200 cloud edition NAS has several advantages it seems. It has raid drives for protection in case one drive fails. It supports a wide variety of protocols - CIFS, FTP, WebDAV, iscsi, and many others.

Including it has an app for iOS, windows, Mac that makes it easy to connect over the cloud.

Not the cheapest solution, but pretty versatile. I've been able to find the 1TB model for what a single drive solution would have cost.

No kidding on the not cheap part....and I hate buying stuff that only has 3 out of 5 stars. As most people tend to inflate the scores they give to things they have spent money on (because they don't want to feel bad about their purchase), I tend to avoid items that have 3 stars unless they are inexpensive and I don't mind taking a chance. But if you get one and had good things to I will be more inclined to give it serious consideration. I tend to trust the words of frequent posters as I have built up an idea about how they think, etc. I don't know anything about those Amazon posters, but those 3 stars just freeze me in my track, when I consider that in combination with the price.

But it seems as we'll have some better info soon. Lots of options is a good thing.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
No kidding on the not cheap part....and I hate buying stuff that only has 3 out of 5 stars. As most people tend to inflate the scores they give to things they have spent money on (because they don't want to feel bad about their purchase), I tend to avoid items that have 3 stars unless they are inexpensive and I don't mind taking a chance. But if you get one and had good things to I will be more inclined to give it serious consideration. I tend to trust the words of frequent posters as I have built up an idea about how they think, etc. I don't know anything about those Amazon posters, but those 3 stars just freeze me in my track, when I consider that in combination with the price.

But it seems as we'll have some better info soon. Lots of options is a good thing.

Well, I do have this (I mentioned in an early post on this thread.) I only don't endorse it wholeheartedly because of the issues. The complexity you have with a full NAS device along with the ability to misconfigure it. The cost. And the low rating the app gets is mainly because of speed and some people are complaining that it does not play AVI files. I do not find it crashing often as some people say on reviews.

Those with a little experience with cloud would not rate it that bad. But I did say the app could use substantial improvement.

But it is a NAS and has lots of functionality. It even does timemachine backups from my Mac.

If you are looking for simple though or cheap, I would suggest keep looking.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

I agree about products with three stars although I try to read the reviews to weed out the rubbish ones, some folks rate products with one star just because they haven't taken the time to work out how a particular product works.

My main thought when starting this thread was to start discussion and not suggest for one minute that my solution is best. For me, my days of tinkering are in the past and I'm looking for kit that is easy to use for all levels. I think my initial solution is a good, cost effective, tinker free method but as I learn more from you guys I am seeing options that I didn't even know existed, which is great.

I think it would be good to give a kind of degree of difficulty rating for any options discussed here to help out others. Once my setup is finalised I'll do a Skitch or video guide to it all.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
There is a mention of the My Book Live in this review, so maybe there has some slight relevance here.

Reviews: G-Technology G-Connect Wireless Storage for iPad | iLounge

That is an interesting article. For me, at $200 which presumably means £200 over here I don't see £100 worth of benefit. I certainly don't understand why something that can generate its own network doesn't have it's own on-board power supply.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gab, since you started this thread I've been using my cloud storage a lot more. I'm finding that since all my mobile devices can see it, it is actually better to use it than to use iTunes sharing. No need to have iTunes open all the time. I can stream my 1080p rips over wifi both in home and at work. Plus I can play music too. Now I'm thinking about pulling off my 250 GB HD and putting on a 1TB drive. I have zillions of them sitting around.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Gab, since you started this thread I've been using my cloud storage a lot more. I'm finding that since all my mobile devices can see it, it is actually better to use it than to use iTunes sharing. No need to have iTunes open all the time. I can stream my 1080p rips over wifi both in home and at work. Plus I can play music too. Now I'm thinking about pulling off my 250 GB HD and putting on a 1TB drive. I have zillions of them sitting around.

It has actually made me pull my finger out and order all the kit I need to complete my personal cloud and home theatre project. Hopefully, very soon my entire audio/visual setup will be controlled by my iPad and linked in to my cloud storage........it'll also clear the shelves!

Now I've just got to figure out how I hide all my cables!

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My CloudFTP has finally landed so I'll charge it up, throw some files on an HD, try it out and report back.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts