What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Cloud Storage

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will do, I now have just the final addition to make to the setup which is the WD TV Live so I'll try to pull it all together and give you a bit of a review of the entire set-up.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should write a Dummies guide for people like me! When it comes to linking up my telly or anything like that, I'm like doh!

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes and make sure you document every last setting.....;)

This is exciting stuff!!

I can feel an Epic Skitch is on the horizon.......!!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes! Skitchosaurus indeed! New moniker for you Gab! Did you see I had cheese on toast with golden syrup this morning? I thought of you while eating it! Hee hee

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little bit of an update.

When transferring ripped movies to the My Book Live my network has been crashing (although by a series of reboots I have transferred all my files so far) which is incredibly annoying. So after doing some googling I discovered that this is a known issue with BT HomeHub 2’s when transferring large files which will require a call to BT after the bank holiday to hopefully get an upgrade to a BT HomeHub 3.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
As I move to a complete solution I had to think about both streaming large files that require large bandwidth and those occasions when Internet access isn't available. At present the options are limited, most devices are a one way only deal (save to iPad but not from iPad to storage media) and also have no expansion options. To this end I have just placed an order for one of these http://www.hypershop.com/CloudFTP-p/cftp-black.htm

I have been waiting for them to become available in the UK and I just found it on Amazon so that buy button just had to be pressed!

This will allow me to connect all of my current USB compatible storage media, flash drives, ext HD's and read and write to them.

As soon as I receive it I will post my thoughts on it.

The Archangel

I would like to know, or determine, how your new device compares to this thing I have (I got it for $60):

http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-Seri...MKZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336304930&sr=8-1

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need todo some reading but the Pogoplug seems to be the front end, i.e. the hardware/software interface whereas the My Book Live carries it's own built in HD, aside from that (and the important expandability of the Pogoplug) they don't appear to do to much differently.....but that's just from a quick scan of the product.

The great thing is that there are options to suit every taste and pocket out there, I purposely veered towards the WD solution as I have never had a single failure in many years of using there products (runs and touches some wood!) and confidence is a big selling point for me when deciding which direction to head in. I could certainly see me trying out the Pogoplug in the not so distant future.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I can see a clear different with the WD product, but I was wondering about the CloudFTP product you linked above. That device seems to only work with usb, but has batteries so it is mobile. It would seem they are different enough for it to make sense to possibly own both, one you figure out exactly what they do and how they do it. Right now, I'm confused a bit about the WD solution to you discussing. I think if the MyBook stuff as storage...and also as a streamer of media...and apparently, there is a cloud option added. I guess it makes good sense to combine all of these...I guess.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I misunderstood.

Yes, the CloudFTP is completely mobile, the YouTube videos of it are slightly more informative than the website which doesn't seem to do a very good job of selling what looks like a very good device. For me, one of the biggest selling points of the CloudFTP is the ability to save from iPad to CloudFTP rather than what is effectively a one way street. There are workarounds for this for the WD My Book Live but nothing really elegant.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Ah, yes, I misunderstood.

Yes, the CloudFTP is completely mobile, the YouTube videos of it are slightly more informative than the website which doesn't seem to do a very good job of selling what looks like a very good device. For me, one of the biggest selling points of the CloudFTP is the ability to save from iPad to CloudFTP rather than what is effectively a one way street. There are workarounds for this for the WD My Book Live but nothing really elegant.

The Archangel

How does the save from iPad part work? Is it app dependent?

It s questions like these that strike at the heart of the matter....hard to make an inform decision. I know I have some save options with the air stash.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
How does the save from iPad part work? Is it app dependent?

It s questions like these that strike at the heart of the matter....hard to make an inform decision. I know I have some save options with the air stash.

Well when it arrives I'll let you know but as I understand it, it doesn't use an app, it connects via a URL which might explain why most app based solutions seem to be a one way only deal with the exception of photos.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion! Please keep us updated as soon as you get the cloudftp, Gab!

Most reactions

Latest posts