What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Cloud Storage

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just came across this http://www.cnet.com/4505-3382_7-35828119.html

The WD My Cloud is the latest NAS in their product range and looking at the review it's as simple to use as an iPad. I can't find any for sale yet in the UK yet but when I do I'll add it to my gadget list and post a review.

It's a great addition to your iOS/android/Windows/OSX devices/computers.....I especially like that it has integral software for Time Machine backups (and equivalent for Windows users). This means that even if you switch you will still be able to use it.

The Archangel

Russf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For a person with limited IT knowledge, can someone please explain the difference between the WD MyBook and the MyCloud apart from price. Ideally just need it for storing all data in one central place and being able to access on either the iPad, laptop or smart tv. Thanks.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simply put, the MyBook is an external drive with USB 2.0 and 3.0, the My cloud is a NAS drive. The former need to be connected to a computer or a DLNA aware router (my netgear router has a usb port for connecting external drives and accessing them on the network without a PC), the latter does need a computer and connect directory to the network (I have the My Clodu 3 TB connected directly to the router via a Gigabit Ethernet cable, the drive also has usb port for connecting an external usb drive and thus increasing the capacity of mycloud).

If you connect the mybook to the router, and if like mine, you can access it via any DLNA aware app.
The mycloud can be accessed in a variety of way over the network, an app a browser and anything that is network aware.
I have an Ipad mini and can access the drive from anywhere, even from my office and i can use an app or connect via wdmycloud.com via any browser. I store everything and anything and even do backup for all devices/PCs at home. I guess you can do that with mybook if you download Western Digital apps.

HTH (sorry for the short explanation, got to go home :) ).

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just bought apples a 3TB airport time capsule and it's terrific. It's going smoothly and I'm in process of transferring 1.5TB of iTunes right now!

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just bought apples a 3TB airport time capsule and it's terrific. It's going smoothly and I'm in process of transferring 1.5TB of iTunes right now!

Sounds great Hayley, seems like you have lots of media so the 3tb storage is a great buy

Most reactions