What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Person on other end of FaceTime cant hear me!

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, had an iPad now upgraded to to iPad 2. Looks great and a lot nice to use.

BUT recently when face timing my Other half to her iphone4 she could see me fine but for some reason could not hear me at all.

Only time she could vaguely hear me was when I was speaking directly into the speaker at the top of the iPad. This has never happened before?

Anyone else had this problem? Could this be a speaker fault or a software problem? Thanks in advance

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, had an iPad now upgraded to to iPad 2. Looks great and a lot nice to use.

BUT recently when face timing my Other half to her iphone4 she could see me fine but for some reason could not hear me at all.

Only time she could vaguely hear me was when I was speaking directly into the speaker at the top of the iPad. This has never happened before?

Anyone else had this problem? Could this be a speaker fault or a software problem? Thanks in advance

I'm just checking but you say 'speaking directly into the speaker at the top of the iPad'. I'm assuming you mean the microphone as the speaker is at the bottom of the iPad and, of course, you need to speak into the microphone and not the speaker.

Tim

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes sorry I mean only when I speak directly into the microphone. That's the only time she can vaguely hear me. Any ideas what this could be?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By chance you haven't hit the 'Mute' icon (the microphone icon). That enables you to cut off the audio during the call, but the picture is still transmitted. It's easy to do accidentally.

Tim

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No unfortunately it's not that, but if that was the case I'd assume she wouldn't hear me even if I spoke directly into the microphone even a little bit?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - I think so. Do you have any other audio apps on your iPad that you can try? Anything else that uses the microphone?

Another possibility - it fixes a lot of problems - is to power the iPad completely down by pressing and holding the Power button for a couple of seconds until the slider control appears and then accepting the offer to power down. Then, when the screen is completely blank, press the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears.

I'm hoping it's not a faulty microphone...

Tim

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gutted, just used the talking Tom app on the iPad and it's not working unless I talk really close to the MF. The MF must be faulty, really disappointed tbh. Any ideas what the problem could be? Guess I should book it into the apple shop in glasgow as that's nearest one.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We had another guy with the same problem this morning.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/27927-bad-microphone.html

Just one last idea - then I'm done - a reboot. Can't hurt and might - might - just fix it.

Turn the iPad off. Press and hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time for about 15 seconds until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then reboot - it takes a while for the reboot to complete, so be patient. I'm not holding out much hope, but it's worth a try.

Tim

Reaction score
Black9 said:
Gutted, just used the talking Tom app on the iPad and it's not working unless I talk really close to the MF. The MF must be faulty, really disappointed tbh. Any ideas what the problem could be? Guess I should book it into the apple shop in glasgow as that's nearest one.

Here is an idea.

iRecorder is a free audio recording app. You could test the microphone there by recording a simple sentence, if there is no audio output on highest volume settings, than you know the microphone is defective, as there is virtually zero configuration for the microphone, apart from the obvious On/Off.

Btw. the AppleStore Buchanan street? My paddy is from there and works great :D
So they will surely fix yours there

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We had another guy with the same problem this morning.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/27927-bad-microphone.html

Just one last idea - then I'm done - a reboot. Can't hurt and might - might - just fix it.

Turn the iPad off. Press and hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time for about 15 seconds until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then reboot - it takes a while for the reboot to complete, so be patient. I'm not holding out much hope, but it's worth a try.

Tim

Thanks Tim, tried the re-boot but with no luck.

I've booked the iPad into a "genius appointment" tomorrow at Buchanan street apple so hopefully they can sort it for me and don't give me another one.

Thanks for the help.

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Black9 said:

Here is an idea.

iRecorder is a free audio recording app. You could test the microphone there by recording a simple sentence, if there is no audio output on highest volume settings, than you know the microphone is defective, as there is virtually zero configuration for the microphone, apart from the obvious On/Off.

Btw. the AppleStore Buchanan street? My paddy is from there and works great :D
So they will surely fix yours there

Hey thanks for that but I'm now pretty sure it's a MF fault.

Have booked it in for tomorrow so I guess a trip through to Glasgow is on the cards. Yep its the Buchanan street one, never been but heard it's nice.
Mite even get it a few goodies while um there:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know what they find. By the way, if they want to take away your iPad you might want to consider asking to keep it until they have another in stock. We've had a few members recently who have returned their iPads with a fault, but the store didn't have a replacement and they had to wait several weeks for the replacement to arrive. During that intervening period they were 'iPad-less' even though their 'faulty' iPad had a relatively minor fault and would have been eminently usable in the intervening period.

Good Luck in Buchanan Street.

Tim

Reaction score
Black9 said:
Thanks Tim, tried the re-boot but with no luck.

I've booked the iPad into a "genius appointment" tomorrow at Buchanan street apple so hopefully they can sort it for me and don't give me another one.

Thanks for the help.

Before you leave, you should backup your iPad.

To do so, connect it to iTunes and it should sync&backup automatically. If not select iPad from the left side of iTunes and than click sync.

The reason being, that your iPad will most likely be exchanged. The guys at the Genius Bar don't do much trouble shooting, if they can't solve it within 10min or so, they just give you a replacement device.

@Tim, how did you squeeze your post in front again? :D

I also exchanged my iPad 2 at Buchanan Street, but that must have been 3 weeks ago and they did have a replacement iPad in store. Of course the situation might have worsened since than.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wholesome diet and clean living.

Lets Tim slip in first every time.

Most reactions

Latest posts