What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Permanently Delete Files

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

What files specifically are you wanting to delete?

OP
I

imjustlearning

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Files that are used in multiple apps, i.e. Good Reader, iAnnotate, Email. I am looking for an app that will allow you to selectively permanently delete files so that they can not be recovered, by forensics.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for an app that will allow you to selectively permanently delete files so that they can not be recovered, by forensics.
If you are looking to hide stuff from someone, then you are most likely going to need to jailbreak to get into the filesystem.

kg14392

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleted Pictures Still Pop Up

I have pictures that have been deleted from my iPad and iPhone. These deleted pictures occasionally pop up in between aps or when I am waiting for the product to respond. How can I really get rid of these items? Thank you.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kg14392 said:
I have pictures that have been deleted from my iPad and iPhone. These deleted pictures occasionally pop up in between aps or when I am waiting for the product to respond. How can I really get rid of these items? Thank you.

Whhhaaa? I've never heard of anything like this. Are you sure you don't have them set as your wallpaper for home / lockscreen, or both? Try setting new wallpapers for both settings using the settings app and see if that fixes it.

AFAIK, there is no way that deleted pictures can just pop up in iOS, no matter how much stress or strain you put the OS under... That would be incredible...

kg14392

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleted Files

The files that pop up are not obviously stored anywhere. I have checked all the photo albums and iPad settings. It is not a desktop or screen saver. I suspect there is a secret apple cache that is holding it somewhere along with deleted calls and messages. Any ideas? Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no "secret apple cache" which would allow deleted images to "pop up" in between other processes. That's just not how iOS works. There is a massive difference between a file existing and, say, an image file being read, decoded, and displayed, even for a microsecond. And we would certainly have noticed this effect on other devices over the years. I'm not saying I'm a leading authority on Apple, but I have years of experience on iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad combined and have never witnessed the effect you are describing.
What devices are you seeing this on and most importantly what version of iOS? Are you jailbroken, and if so what JB apps do you have installed? Were the images in your camera roll and you deleted them in the photos app? Provide more details please.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen a thumbnail of a picture that I've deleted briefly appear in the camera before. Only noticed it because it was way overexposed, so when it disappeared it was replaced by the next to last picture taken, which was much darker. That was on the iPhone, and I got my finger in the way of the flash when I took a photograph, hence the overexposure.

In other words, there is a possibility of a thumbnail existing after the original photograph is deleted.

Most reactions