What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

permanent connection to apple

esackbauer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello forum

since i have system status installed i figured out that my ipad wifi is constantly connected to an ip adress starting 17.172.xxx.xxx

found out that this is within the apple ipv4 range and trying to figure out why i need this connection permanently ?

anyone in this forum who can confirm this and probably anyone can bring some light to the dark why ?

thanks in advance
cheers

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like a bug in the system status software. I find this highly unlikely.

-t

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Peculiar - :confused:

Now you're located in Europe, so are routers & Wi-Fi different there?

Wi-Fi is a short range 'wireless' network and most connections would be via a router; the usual IP address assigned is through a router, beginning w/ 192.168.x.x - that's the address that my iPad2 is showing in the settings -> network area.

Will be curious to see some additional posts - :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought - but doesn't the iPad report its position occasionally to Apple so that it can identify the location of WiFi hotspots? This might be the IP address that receives those position updates..

Tim

OP
esackbauer

esackbauer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmmm ... so i am the only one ?

europe is pretty much the same as the US.
the ip adress is not the one from my home router - its actually an adress owned by apple in the 17.172.xxx.xxx range.

i only know about this since i installed "system status" from the appstore ... look under tab connections ( and be sure to close all other apps before checking since you then would see tons of active connections from running apps )

location service is turned off .

anyone out there who has the app installed and can check if he has the same ?

Most reactions