What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

People saying the new iPad is really to hot to hold.

ssilver10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since my thread was closed, I will post my thoughts on this one.

Dear all iPad 3rd Gen users and everyone else,

The new iPad is an extraordinary product, if I may say. I myself who had an iPad 2 made the jump to the new iPad. As we all know there has been a lot of controversy about the new iPad being "too hot to handle". Well here are my thoughts, disagree if you may but please just hear me out.

We wanted retina display. We got it. We wanted a better battery. We got it. We wanted dictation. We got it. We wanted a better processor. We got it. Is there any more to say about this product. It is simply amazing. Quite frankly, I am just getting more and more annoyed about all of the posts that I am reading on these tech blogs as well on here saying that the new iPad is not good because it heats up. We wanted all that was stated above and expected not to compromise anything. Apple delivered once again giving us this amazing new iPad. For a mere few degrees we are all getting so frustrated about the iPad and fail to see that we had gotten everything on our wish list.

All I can say is that we are even fortunate to be able to have this kind of technology when some families and children cannot afford to buy this kind of product. They would do anything to be able to have this miraculous product in their hands while we all complain about it. With all of these un-lucky families we still complain about it being a tad too hot.

Rest assure, I am sure Apple will do something to compensate for all of the complainers with their "burning iPads".

I myself have not had any extreme experience with my new iPad heating up, only it has gotten warm just like the iPad 2 and any other laptop you may have. I am dearly in love with my new product and cannot wait for what Apple will pull next.

Thank You for your time to hear me out and hopefully put an end to this controversy.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since my thread was closed, I will post my thoughts on this one.

Dear all iPad 3rd Gen users and everyone else,

The new iPad is an extraordinary product, if I may say. I myself who had an iPad 2 made the jump to the new iPad. As we all know there has been a lot of controversy about the new iPad being "too hot to handle". Well here are my thoughts, disagree if you may but please just hear me out.

We wanted retina display. We got it. We wanted a better battery. We got it. We wanted dictation. We got it. We wanted a better processor. We got it. Is there any more to say about this product. It is simply amazing. Quite frankly, I am just getting more and more annoyed about all of the posts that I am reading on these tech blogs as well on here saying that the new iPad is not good because it heats up. We wanted all that was stated above and expected not to compromise anything. Apple delivered once again giving us this amazing new iPad. For a mere few degrees we are all getting so frustrated about the iPad and fail to see that we had gotten everything on our wish list.

All I can say is that we are even fortunate to be able to have this kind of technology when some families and children cannot afford to buy this kind of product. They would do anything to be able to have this miraculous product in their hands while we all complain about it. With all of these un-lucky families we still complain about it being a tad too hot.

Rest assure, I am sure Apple will do something to compensate for all of the complainers with their "burning iPads".

I myself have not had any extreme experience with my new iPad heating up, only it has gotten warm just like the iPad 2 and any other laptop you may have. I am dearly in love with my new product and cannot wait for what Apple will pull next.

Thank You for your time to hear me out and hopefully put an end to this controversy.

Sorry dude but this is a forum and even though your iPad and my iPad are not overheating doesn't mean that others aren't having problems. Forums are made for people with issues to come to get help. In no way has Apple delivered to us the perfect iPad and so we ask for more. Some ask for this and some ask for that. This is what makes us a community! If you are looking for a non complaining forum, I guess I don't know of one!

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ssilver10 - I doubt there is anything to this, but the issue of it being brought up for no good reason is hard to ignore.

I mean; you can either believe that
a. The higher running temperature of the iPad 3 was accounted for by apple in their design spec and well tested
-- or --
b. This is a huge oversight by a multi-billion dollar company that is not know to make those kinds of blunders, and will produce a huge warranty issue within a year or two.

I would be willing to bet on (a.) being the correct answer. Oh, wait - I have already bet my money on this by buying an iPad 3. However, if anyone feels strongly that (b.) is likely the correct answer and would like to take me up on the offer, I'd be willing to put some more money down.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ssilver10 - I doubt there is anything to this, but the issue of it being brought up for no good reason is hard to ignore.

I mean; you can either believe that
a. The higher running temperature of the iPad 3 was accounted for by apple in their design spec and well tested
-- or --
b. This is a huge oversight by a multi-billion dollar company that is not know to make those kinds of blunders, and will produce a huge warranty issue within a year or two.

I would be willing to bet on (a.) being the correct answer. Oh, wait - I have already bet my money on this by buying an iPad 3. However, if anyone feels strongly that (b.) is likely the correct answer and would like to take me up on the offer, I'd be willing to put some more money down.

Be careful. Just because this is Apple, all that glitters isn't always gold! The problem that I have with answer (a) is the lack of consistency. If the extra heat is something that Apple was fully aware of and nothing to be concerned with then why would we have variances between units?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickeylittle said:
Be careful. Just because this is Apple, all that glitters isn't always gold! The problem that I have with answer (a) is the lack of consistency. If the extra heat is something that Apple was fully aware of and nothing to be concerned with then why would we have variances between units?

What variances are you referring to? No two units are exactly alike. I suspect that most of the new iPad will get warm if you do the same thing in the exact same environment, excepting those that may have flaws/defects that require replacement. This new iPad gets warmer that the two previous iPad, but it has almost twice the battery and four times the pixels, and a quad-core gpu. And this is a passively cooled device. So it has different characteristics than the other two. But my android tablet gets just as warm.

I don't get why people cannot get this.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What variances are you referring to? No two units are exactly alike. I suspect that most of the new iPad will get warm if you do the same thing in the exact same environment, excepting those that may have flaws/defects that require replacement. This new iPad gets warmer that the two previous iPad, but it has almost twice the battery and four times the pixels, and a quad-core gpu. And this is a passively cooled device. So it has different characteristics than the other two. But my android tablet gets just as warm.

I don't get why people cannot get this.

It's real simple. I know that when in the car or out doors I've gotta do what to see the screen? That's right I've gotta turn it to full brightness to try to overcome the outdoor glare issue. And no I do not wanna buy a crippling anti glare screen protector as they greatly reduce the beauty of the screen while indoors.

So there will be times when I'll be running this iPad at full brightness and thank goodness I prefer a case because it would be uncomfortable on the bare leg!

Now here are the possible issues that I see:

Maybe (probably) this is news to Apple as no doubt they checked all the brightness levels but may not have left it on max for 15 -20 minutes. Stranger things have happened! In fact I believe had they actually caught this that they could have cheaply absorbed the extra heat back into the unit with no fuss. End of story! Didn't they learn form the "you're holding the phone wrong incident!" my concern is, will daily heating like this shorten the overall life of one's iPad? Laugh if you want but I think this is a valid question.

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my new ipad Friday, 64gb wifi only, installed all my apps, music, videos, books, documents, and streamed a movie an hour and 42 minutes long and the case was luke warm at best. Not hot at all.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickeylittle said:
It's real simple. I know that when in the car or out doors I've gotta do what to see the screen? That's right I've gotta turn it to full brightness to try to overcome the outdoor glare issue. And no I do not wanna buy a crippling anti glare screen protector as they greatly reduce the beauty of the screen while indoors.

So there will be times when I'll be running this iPad at full brightness and thank goodness I prefer a case because it would be uncomfortable on the bare leg!

Now here are the possible issues that I see:

Maybe (probably) this is news to Apple as no doubt they checked all the brightness levels but may not have left it on max for 15 -20 minutes. Stranger things have happened! In fact I believe had they actually caught this that they could have cheaply absorbed the extra heat back into the unit with no fuss. End of story! Didn't they learn form the "you're holding the phone wrong incident!" my concern is, will daily heating like this shorten the overall life of one's iPad? Laugh if you want but I think this is a valid question.

Geez whiz....I've run my screen on max brightness for 36 minutes.....the back got to 111 deg F. A bit warm to the touch but not the big issue you seem to think it is. Laptops get warmer. Electronics withstand this kind of heat way better than you realize. Just because it's a device that gets a bit warmer doesn't mean it will have a way shortened lifespan. These are all notions conjured up by people who have little real experience with electronics but seem to be quick to fire off opinions.

You should just stick with a prior model or get a droid.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Geez whiz....I've run my screen on max brightness for 36 minutes.....the back got to 111 deg F. A bit warm to the touch but not the big issue you seem to think it is. Laptops get warmer. Electronics withstand this kind of heat way better than you realize. Just because it's a device that gets a bit warmer doesn't mean it will have a way shortened lifespan. These are all notions conjured up by people who have little real experience with electronics but seem to be quick to fire off opinions.

You should just stick with a prior model or get a droid.

I actually have the Asus Transformer Prime and like I said mine isn't getting hot either that is why I said the word "variances" that you said "what variances" to. It's no biggie and I'll shut up after this regardless of what you say but my whole point was,and now you've just confirmed it, that some units are getting hotter than some other units even under basically the same test. I believe there could be an issue to this but it seems that around this place Apple is 100% so what's the point?

You quoted 1 guy's post who said his unit was very hot but not unbearable to the touch and if your unit cannot reproduce that type of warmth then his unit may very well have an issue!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are arguing the same old thing here. We need to come to grip with the fact that the new iPad will get hotter than the iPad 2. It is not a big deal and going on and on about it, is taking away from enjoying the device. There are no reports of anyone getting burned by a new iPad. One person's discomfort level is not another's. And age can mean a big deal in such matters. I can imagine there will be some people that will love the warmth of their iPad on a cold winter day. If it is normal for a laptop of any make to reach 130F, then 110-120F is acceptable until some proof says otherwise.

This is not an Apple is supreme defense. It is a logical assessment of any device. If there is any real issue with this, then we expect Apple to make adjustments and correct the problem. This is the expectations of any veteran Apple device owner. It is why Apple has grown to the top. They take care of their customers, and customers buy their products.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts