What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

People saying the new iPad is really to hot to hold.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine does not run "very hot" when just idling. In fact, it does not run very hot at anytime and there would be not problem letting a kid hold it. If your experience is as you say, then yours is defective and you should have it replaced.

Can you try and experiment for me if you have the time please? Run it with 100% backlight for 15 mins and see how it heats up. I'll further test myself with some intensive processing thrown into the mix but I'm pretty sure the large heat build up is purely down to the battery discharging rapidly with a bright screen.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you try and experiment for me if you have the time please? Run it with 100% backlight for 15 mins and see how it heats up. I'll further test myself with some intensive processing thrown into the mix but I'm pretty sure the large heat build up is purely down to the battery discharging rapidly with a bright screen.

Sure thing. I'll see if I can find my laser temp gauge to get some numbers.

SarahDeckerIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad, 3rd gen., does not get warm at all. I've been on it for a couple of hours at a time, but haven't done any hard game playing.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine had gotten warm to the touch, but not hot. It does seem like the battery life is less than my first gen ipad...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sure thing. I'll see if I can find my laser temp gauge to get some numbers.

Ambient room temp is 81degs (under my desklamp). Here is a pic taken with my iPad in 100% brightness (the iPad is lying screen-side down). The unit is also charging at the same time.

IMG_2448.jpg

Note that at 26 minutes I'm getting 110 degrees. This is the max temp I could find on the back side.

It is certainly fair to say the back of the iPad 3 is warm to the touch. A case would totally insulate one from this if this is a worry. Frankly, I recommend some kind of protection for the backside because it gets scratched easily.

Edit: at 34 mintues it is at 111 degrees F.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cheers for trying that. I'll do the same when I get a chance - out tonight so might be tomorrow. For me it felt like holding a fresh cup of tea/coffee in a standard mug when it was in the leather folio, more like touching a thin cup when I touched the back directly. Frustrating because otherwise the screen is immaculate, no bleeding or stuck/dead pixels.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cheers for trying that. I'll do the same when I get a chance - out tonight so might be tomorrow. For me it felt like holding a fresh cup of tea/coffee in a standard mug when it was in the leather folio, more like touching a thin cup when I touched the back directly. Frustrating because otherwise the screen is immaculate, no bleeding or stuck/dead pixels.

I have a Bear Motion leather case that I keep mine in. You may want to get similar if the heat bothers you. And certainly you won't have a worry about your child using your iPad (kids love iPads, so this IMO is a must). The iPad 3 Bear Motion case is to be available on Amazon tomorrow (the version for the iPad 2 only works 80% of the time with iPad 3 (this is the Smart Cover autolock feature that doesn't work, otherwise the case fits fine)).

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Weird thing is I tried to replicate this last night before I went out and couldn't get it to get warm with backlight on 100% - granted I only ran it for about 10 mins. I also tried a bit of Real Racing HD and it remained cool throughout.
I'll try more over the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

pltan75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed my new Ipad getting warm under certain load situations, but it's nothing serious. People used to the previous versions being cool to the touch might be slightly shocked when noticing it the first time, but it never gets seriously hot , for example laptop temperatures on a lap, and even that is bearable.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in rhe UK, wonder how it will fair i.e. fail rate and 'comfortable to handle' in much hotter climate's,

Perhaps a laptop type cooler would prudent?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There should be no dangerous issues with heating. The heat should be localized in the corner that holds the processor. While the LED's may contribute to the inability absorb heat, it should not be the source of the heat.

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mines warm, never hot.... I have friends who have a 2 and the first question they asked was if I burned myself yet, and they were serious. It's sad how the media scares people. Yeah the device gets warm, it's a lot of device packed In a small shell with no cooling.. It's bound to happen....

Plus to anyone who has overclocked an android device knows this warmth is nothing lol

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You wonder how much Google stock some of the media people have, sometimes. In truth, the way the media works (or doesn't actually do any work) all it takes is one person making a comment for it to go viral. By the time it gets going, it is interesting. There are often more people commenting on it, than there are people having a problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts