What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pen Tablet

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Use the Wacom 3 Pen Tablet for my PC, which works great. As PC/MAC tablet, WACOM are the best.

My question: is there a Pen Tablet designed to work with the IOS iPad 3 to latest model? I love to draw and paint digitally; however. I would enjoy using my iPad vs. off to my computer room to use the WACOM.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are a number of good drawing apps for the iPad, some of them, like Sketchbook, have PC versions that you can move the drawing back and forth between.

However, do not expect the kind of accuracy and responsiveness you get with your WACOM. The iPad's screen is capacitive.. This is a lot less accurate than your WACOM tablet and does not directly support pressure sensitive.

To get around this there are several companies that make active styluses for the iPad that are a bit more accurate than your finger, and add pressure sensitive. These usually pair with your iPad using Bluetooth and only work (with all features) with compatible apps. The Jot Adonit styluses are the ones I've read the most about, but there are others.

It's all compromises, but it is doable, and a lot of fantastic art has been produced on the iPad.

It occurs to me that what you might be asking for is a tablet peripheral to work with your iPad. As far as I know there is no such device; though there might be something in the Hacking forum that would allow you to pair a drawing tablet with a jailbroken iPad, I doubt you'll find any apps that support it properly. But I could be wrong.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Kyle Lambert doesn't need a stylus to do iPad art:

This will blow you away!

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes he is great, I could not do that with Amy WACOM. I was looking for a tablet that would dock to the iPad, not jailbraking to do so.

I have the app he uses and he has spent a great deal of time creating his own brushes to accomplish his art.

Thanks for the replies.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The three apps I've settled on and use the most are Paper, proCreate and Sketches. Of course, Paper's pencil stylus is quite nice. I've been through a few other styluses from various other manufacturers. The best I've found are the simplest with the squishy rubbery tips.

There are no external drawing surface accessories for the iPad.

navneetsinha999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pen tablet are used for authoring and illustrating freely and handily. At work, you can use pen tablet to give a professional business presentation.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The three apps I've settled on and use the most are Paper, proCreate and Sketches. Of course, Paper's pencil stylus is quite nice. I've been through a few other styluses from various other manufacturers. The best I've found are the simplest with the squishy rubbery tips.

There are no external drawing surface accessories for the iPad.

i have the original non BT Adonit Jot stylus--have had it for several years and just bought a second one as backup. It works great in Paper and Procreate, both of which I have (and also use in Noteshelf, Noteability, etc for handwriting and even simple sketches). With all the options in proCreate you might find it works great without the levels of sensitivity. i have had big Wacom tablets for my PCs for years so can compare. Not the same but I found it interesting the other day when I read an artist say he still preferred drawing/"painting" on the Ipad because of the direct tool to screen as opposed to using the Wacom pen which is mapped to the monitor. Mine is called the Classic on Amazon but you will have to look at descriptions on the Adonit page to select.

As to the Morgan Freeman portrait, he would either have to create brushes in Procreate (which I'm sure he has) and/or use a stylus which would allow him more control IMO. I just like having the pencil/brush in my hand but not required with very carefully built brushes in Procreate. In Paper you don,t have those options so a stylus would be nice. I like the Jot because i can use it anywhere, any app. I lose some levels of sensitivity in those apps that offer it but i haven't found that a hindrance. i have looked at the new Adonit BT but am not sure i will buy it--I'm not an artist, just like to doodle and use handwriting a great deal.

Last edited:

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just like having the pencil/brush in my hand but not required with very carefully built brushes in Procreate. In Paper

Quite right. You don't need a stylus. But I am so used to drawing or painting with an implement....

I tired of the clicky tappy noise of the Adonits, and the loss of connectivity.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quite right. You don't need a stylus. But I am so used to drawing or painting with an implement.... I tired of the clicky tappy noise of the Adonits, and the loss of connectivity.

Using Painter 3 or Photoshop CC or 4-6, with a WACOM tablet is almost like having paint and brush in hand. I had several neck surgeries that have limited the use or control of my stylus due to tremors in hand. This really limits critical detail work or even making selections accurately.

If would be great if WACOM and Apple would develop a app to allow either Bluetooth or adaptor USB from tablet with the charging connector. I know this would drain the battery power from the tablet, if mobility is important. If not, separate power cable for tablet. Accessibility for those with physician disabilities is not profitable I guess.

The attachment I made with PC/WACOM and fractals.

Attachments

• image-3816991097.jpg
    image-3816991097.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 183

Most reactions

Latest posts