What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDFs

Lee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF Reader Pro is a great app, but seems somewhat unclear in the how to department. It imports PDFs to the iPad in a blink. So here's my version of the instructions...aimed at the beginner level.

1. Get your iPad and computer on the same WiFi network. Ex: My network
is "Tex", so I put the iPad and my computer on "Tex" WiFi.

2. Open PDF Reader Pro

3. With Safari or whatever browser you prefer, go to:
iTech Development Systems
(any website may work, but I KNOW this one does)

4. At the top of the PDF Reader Pro page will be an odd url...
Ex: http://10.0.1.9:5400/ (Note the semicolon before the 5400!)

5. Enter the odd url in the url window of the itech website.

6. A window will popup that let's you choose a file, then upload it. It will
then appear in the PDF Reader Pro App.

Hope this helps someone....

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using goodreader and love it. Very easy to upload from a variety of sources including mobile me and you can create folders, change the colors ect.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use GoodReader as well. The best dollar I ever spent ;). I easily transferred files from dropbox, MobileMe and my Mac Pro. It is great to have all these files (mostly PDFs) available even when I don't have an internet connection.

OP
L

Lee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Reader IS better!

Thanks for the tip....It's really great!:)

kyxz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
couldnt get it to work, doest the odd url appear automatically
on pdf reader pro? is it computer itc development systems first
and odd url second..please help

rle737ng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is the best. Well worth the 99 cents. And I bought it when they charged 4.99 for it. I don't regret the purchase.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader Wins: iPad PDF Viewer Showdown

I've been using goodreader and love it. Very easy to upload from a variety of sources including mobile me and you can create folders, change the colors ect.
iPad PDF Viewer Showdown

from App Advice by Trevor Sheridan
mzl.jhgjytul.100x100-75.jpg
GoodReader for iPad ($0.99) by Good.iWare Ltd. lets you read pdfs on your iPad in a full screen interface. That’s not all though as the app supports most file types you can think of including iwork, ms office, txt, jpeg, html, audio, and video. On top of that the app can connect with your mail, dropbox, idisk, and more.

good_reader2-300x225.jpg
Uploading the various files can be done in a few ways, and each one is easy and streamlined. For wirelessly simply connect via a browser as FTP or via Bonjour. You can also transfer files over USB through itunes. The interface to access your files, and the built in browser is straight forward.
Once you actually view your files the app provides full screen view of each file. The navigation isn’t the smoothest, but easily manageable. You have to flick down or up pretty hard to flip the page, and there is no sitting viewing half of one page and half of another.
With that said this PDF viewer provides everything you could want in one for only $1.

mzl.kdqldofh.100x100-75.jpg
Air Sharing HD ($9.99) by Avatron Software, Inc. lets you view any kind of file format you can possibly think of in a streamlined interface.
Connecting is effortless over wifi either via a web browser or bonjour. USB transfer is available trough iTunes. You can even print out documents directly from the app as long as you have a wireless printer.

air_sharing4-225x300.jpg
In testing the app does not print to printers set up wirelessly using an airport extreme base station. It has to actually be a wireless printers, and not just printers that you can print wirelessly from your your computer.
The UI is great, and super smooth to use. You can go through long pdfs effortlessly, and you can view part of two different pages at once like a true pdf reader. On top of that you have access to all kinds of FTP servers, excluding dropbox, but including mail.
The app provides the best interface, feature set, file support, and is also the most expensive. Unless you have a true wireless printer, and intend to use that feature the app is not worth the premium price because the other cheaper ones are so good.

mzl.yewlwzrn.100x100-75.jpg
ReaddleDocs for iPad (PDF viewer/attachments saver/file manager) ($4.99) by Readdle Readdle Docs supports every file format you can think of. You can connect wirelessly in a web browser or via Bonjour, and over usb via iTunes.

Readdle3-300x225.jpg
The app has an identical feature set to Good Reader including support for mail as well as dropbox. You can view microsoft office, iwork, txt, images, audio, and video to name a few. The interface is well done though it’s a bit of a hassle to turn pages, and you can’t view parts of two pages at once.
You can view all of the files in full screen with easy navigation between files. Connecting to the various servers is easy as well as uploading the various files. Readdle Docs is very similar to Good Reader in almost every way. For $4.99 it just isn’t recommended simply because of the comparison to Good Reader.

mzl.bdxdjugv.100x100-75.jpg
PDF Reader Pro Edition for iPad ($3.99) by iTech Development Systems is similar to the apps above, but only supports PDFs. It’s a pdf reader with no support for microsoft office, iwork, txt, jpeg, etc. With that said it provides the best reading experience of any of the apps for PDFs.

PDFReader2-225x300.jpg
You can transfer files wirelessly or over usb through iTunes. It also offers the feature of saving files from a web browser. Like all the rest it’s easy to jump to certain pages, add bookmarks, and search for specific words. Also included is the ability to send e-mails from within the app, and can save attachments from mail.
The app features a streamlined UI, and easy scrolling through large pdfs. You can scroll to a stop in the middle of two pages. You view files in full screen, and the app can handle large pdfs well.
Overall PDF Reader Pro gives you a great interface for just PDFs. For $3.99 it’s not worth it with more capabilities for $1 more in Readdle or for only $1 in Good Reader.

Overall

There isn’t much of a difference between all four of these apps. To test the apps I added the full length pdf book of Frankenstein, a pages document, various jpegs, an audio file, and connected to mail and dropbox. There was no distinction in any of the apps in the loading of these items whether it was wirelessly or over usb through itunes.
The interfaces are similar, the feature set for viewing the documents are practically the same, and so are the connection options. Each one handles detailed images and long pdfs well. Downloading attachments in mail was quick, and connecting to dropbox was just as good. They also all save your progress on exit, have access to all of the files when offline, and support every orientation natively.
Air Sharing HD features wireless printing in very specialized cases, but lacks dropbox support. It features the most intuitive and streamline UI of the bunch, but is also $10. PDFReader Pro has all the same features as all the other apps, but is limited to PDFs only. It also lacks the ability to connect to FTP servers and mail accounts.
Readdle Docs and Good Reader were almost the same exact software in nearly every way. The interface is different, but both have the same feature set, and problems with easily turning pages. The biggest difference is that one is $4.99, and one is only $0.99.
GoodReader is the best value of this bunch giving you all the features you could want in a pdf viewer for only $0.99. It’s UI and page turning is a little clunky, but for $1 I think most iPad owners can live with that. All of these apps don’t differ very much so you should go with the cheapest option if you’re looking for one on your iPad. The more expensive apps offer no great incentive over Good Reader to be worth more.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found Antoher iPad PDF Reader Today - Smiley Docs - free to Launch

456815.png
SmileyDocs 1.0

Category: Books
Price: Free, Version: 1.0 (iTunes)

456815.jpg
Description:

SmileyDocs is a simple-to-use yet fully-featured iPad app that allows you to easily read and view all of you documents (with an option of maintaining the same hierarchical structure that's found on your PC or Mac). While targeted at PDF documents, it supports all major document and image types, such as .doc, .xls, .ppt, .html, .txt, .bmp, .png and more. There are two viewers integrated seamlessly into this app: one that uses the same engine as Safari, and the other that uses Quartz, and the choice is up to you, as to which you would like to use, for PDF documents. The latter makes it easier to navigate files (e.g. going back or forward via button or swipe, and seeking to any page), and supports larger file sizes the Safari engine may be unable to handle without slowing down or crashing. It is the default and preferred viewer for PDF documents - and the one I use personally.

SmileyDocs

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use GoodReader for .pdf files. It is a pretty remarkable app. The only problem is.. if you are using a Mac with Snow Leopard, you will have problem transferring files using Computer to Computer Network. I ended up using Win 7 to do the transfer.

But I love the UI for GoodReader. $0.99 well spent!

dionnfr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app that can you can use to fill in forms which where created in PDF format.

rickeysbike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF pro keeps crashing on me a few seconds after I open the file. Not happy and their support has been slow to respond. Hate to think I wasted 4 bucks.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app that can you can use to fill in forms which where created in PDF format.

SmartNote will allow you to fill a PDF form.
Download the free manual and see for yourself.

smartNoteHome.png

If you like the new update, please give us a good review / rating in iTunes!
Good reviews help support the development of smartNote more than anything!
NEW!
As part of v1.4, we are opening an online paper repository for smartNote. We are looking to the community to create and share paper-types that you make! All paper-types will be hosted on our servers, and available for direct download into smartNote. Free of charge. Interested in making and sharing some paper-types? Great! Here's what you need to do.
1. Create a paper-type that abides by the following conditions: Must be in PNG format, Image size must be 768x946, Resolution must be 132 pixels/in. (For questions, contact us using the link at the top of the page)
2. Compose an email containing the following things:
-Your PNG paper-type image
-Your name (or username) that you want to be credited with
-Your website or email (will be a link from your name or username, listed under the image)
-Paper-Type name
-Paper-Type description (short)
3. Send the e-mail to us at [email protected], you should get a personal response shortly (unless we are asleep)

**We reserve the right not to post profane, illegal, copyrighted, or otherwise profane images. We don't want to have to enforce this, but we will if we have to. If you have a question, please feel free to contact us. We are more than willing to work with anyone who would like to create papers. With the popularity of the app, we expect paper-type creators to get a somewhat decent amount of traffic from the link-back we will put under your image. (If your image is popular) Feel free to have us link to your portfolio, commercial site, or even twitter account.

Most reactions

Latest posts