What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF reader

celldoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
goodreader ftw and it's only .99$!

I have lots of medical/pathology journals on PDF format.

Hi Taka, I'm a fresh-out-training pathologist in the States, and I'm thinking of getting the iPad for things like virtual microscopy, keynote presentations, and the ability to access my medical pdf articles on the fly. I found your post through a google search and I thought I'd ask how you've been able to use the iPad for medical/academic pusposes.

Cheers!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoodReader for me - used it for the iPhone and now for the iPad for all my technical docs for work and home use. Also works very well with books with it's PDF to text reflow and auto scroll.

Robert.k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app called PDF Reader Pro Edition for iPad that just released a new update with support for University of Phoenix PDF files, I'm using it right now and it works!!!!!!!!

NyghtSpydr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app called PDF Reader Pro Edition for iPad that just released a new update with support for University of Phoenix PDF files, I'm using it right now and it works!!!!!!!!

I just used this application and YES it does work! But I am having issues opening large PDF files from UoP, it just takes forever and nothing ever pops up. Guess I need to download each chapter seperately instead. But YES, PDF READER PRO EDITION FOR IPAD works for UoP students! Make sure to get the $9.99 version, NOT the $0.99 version that is named very similar!

Preacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
goodreader ftw and it's only .99$!

This. All day long, this. They just did a big update too and added a lot of functionality to the app. You can take notes, draw diagrams, copy text and much more. It really is my go-to app and I have taken to converting my ebook library to PDF because I like it so much.

SteveFLHTK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also need recommendations

I am presently using Cloudreader. I really like the app, but one limitation that bugs me is no support for multiple files to be opened (preferrably tabbed). I haven't tried Goodreader, as I've read that it may be slow to render some files. Since it doesn't look like Cloudreader will be updated anytime soon (ever), any suggestions for something similar that is also very quick?

Being able to catagorize files would be helpful as well, my current list of PDF's that I use daily or weekly is up to several hundred. Going through a large list to find the correct name is a bit cumbersome.

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use PDF Expert and I think it's a fantastic app. I've also used iAnnotate and I think that's pretty good, too, but the UI is a bit counterintuitive at times and I'm having an easier time syncing with PDF Expert. I have GoodReader, too, but haven't properly tested it out yet. I do a lot of annotations on my pdfs, so that was a key concern for me in choosing an app/tool.

Forgot to say that both apps are quick, PDF Expert maybe a bit faster. They bold have folder structures.

Last edited:

happyday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I'm a brand new iPad owner. I'm a nursing student, and am wondering the best apps to download that will 1) read the books out loud 2) allow me to highlight text and 3) write notes on side of text..... Are any of these functions possible ;) thanks for any help

persephone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I'm a brand new iPad owner. I'm a nursing student, and am wondering the best apps to download that will 1) read the books out loud 2) allow me to highlight text and 3) write notes on side of text..... Are any of these functions possible ;) thanks for any help

1. None that I know. I bet there is something in osx for the vision impaired (you might need to extract text first or something like that).
2. I annotate, PDF expert, and goodreader (in order from most robust/supported to least)
3. Same as #2, except that I think PDF Expert might have an edge over iannotate

Most reactions