What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF not displaying on iBooks or any other App. HELP.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you may need to reinstall iBooks.

But first, go into iTunes on the computer and make sure all your books are in the Books library. If not, you'll want to transfer your books to iTunes first, to avoid losing anything. You can always re-download the ebooks, but PDF files or book other than ones bought through the iBook Store might be lost.

If you normally sync your iPad to iTunes, you can skip the next step if you like. Though it is handy, since it will give you more control over when the iPad syncs and does backups.

Without the iPad connected, go into iTunes, open Preferences, and in the Devices tab turn off auto-syncing.

Now, with our iPad connected, right click on the iPad under Devices and choose Transfer Purchases. Double check the Books library to make sure they are all now there. If not, then go to the Books tab at the top of the screen and make sure syncing is turned on, and try again.

Once you are sure that all you books and PDF's are safely stored in iTunes, disconnect your iPad from iTunes, delete the app, go to the App Store and install it again.

With the app successfully installed, connect the iPad back to iTunes and select it under the Devices list. Go through all the tabs and make sure the sync settings are what you want them to be. Unless you never or seldom sync, you should probably leave them alone for now, just so you don't end up doing too much at one time. Do not turn off anything you normally sync in order to speed things up. This will remove that content.

Make sure you are set to sync all the books you want on the iPad and sync.

When you are ready, sync.

Note: If you make use of the highlight and notes features of iBooks, you will probably lose that stuff this way. The only way to avoid that while when removing and reinstalling the app would be to do a backup before deleting the app and then a restore from backup after reinstalling the app.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is an example of PDF that would show up as white pages on the iPAD.
It will show up perfectly on a PC.
That is one of the known problems with the iPad
See the version and the restrictions

Attachments

• pdf1.jpg
    pdf1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 502
  • pdf2.jpg
    pdf2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 465

Encore74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
export as jpeg and create new pdf

I had a similar problem with a scanned book downloaded from internet. I was able to see it in MAC but in Ipad all pages appeared as white.

I tried using the "optimizing" feature of adobe PDF but it worked only partially, I was able to see some random pages in the ipad. Then I tried to use the preflight option of adobe which supposedly fixes pdf according to standards but then the displaying in the ipad was painfully slow, loading a page would take 10 seconds or more.

What I did finally was export every page to jpeg in good quality using adobe acrobat, and then create a new pdf mixing all the pages. This time it works and I can see it in the iPad all right.

Good luck

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a scanned book downloaded from internet. I was able to see it in MAC but in Ipad all pages appeared as white.

I tried using the "optimizing" feature of adobe PDF but it worked only partially, I was able to see some random pages in the ipad. Then I tried to use the preflight option of adobe which supposedly fixes pdf according to standards but then the displaying in the ipad was painfully slow, loading a page would take 10 seconds or more.

What I did finally was export every page to jpeg in good quality using adobe acrobat, and then create a new pdf mixing all the pages. This time it works and I can see it in the iPad all right.

Good luck

You could shorten your time by printing it to an application like PDFfactory, that create a PDF file instead of really printing. I mentioned it on one of the previous replays

ehuang818

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there any version of PDF not readable by iBooks? I've added all my PDFs in iTunes library but after syncing with iPad, it shows only some but not all the PDFs, anything i need to do to make this work? Thanks...

aurther

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
I'm not that technically gifted but I have a similar problem where some of the writing turns to blocky grey/black mess
The pdf works fine on my computer but when I look at it on my ipad it
is there a way of opening it on the ipad using a different pdf viewer

clarkybravo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same thing happens on the iPhone as well. I followed directions on the iPhone thread and it fixed the iPad problem too. Just delete iBooks from your iPad, go to App Store and download the latest version, seems to work great now; after all the time I spent trying to get it to sync!!!

Valda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't get the books to transfer from the pc to iPad....I've tried everything I can think of and went thru the help on the pc but all I'm getting is import....can someone HELP!!!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valda said:
I can't get the books to transfer from the pc to iPad....I've tried everything I can think of and went thru the help on the pc but all I'm getting is import....can someone HELP!!!!

Have you tried emailing the PDF to yourself? When you open the attachment in your email, you should get an open in button at the top right corner that lets you choose to send the PDF to iBooks. It's worked for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts