1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

PDF files disappear from iBooks

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by jmehling, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jmehling

jmehling iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I transferred several PDF files to the iBooks app from my desktop computer through iTunes and they open and search/read etc just fine. Then one or two times later they disappear from the iBooks location. I re-load them and they are OK for a few times, then again disappear. A newbie to Apple and iPad, is there something simple here that I am missing?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Moonchaser

Moonchaser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iBooks has got some problems with PDF files. On my system, any background images in the PDFs are shifted down and left so they cover the bottom left of the page, instead of filling the page. I have found iBooks to be a bit unstable with really large PDF files (>5MB).

I have not seen your specific issue though... Hopefully it will all automagically work in the next patch for iBooks.
  3. Racer2

Racer2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    also problem with disappearing pdf's

Hi,

I have some sort of the same problem with iBooks. I have a couple of self made pdf's I wanted to add to iBooks since I didn't know any other way to add them I send them to myself by e-mail and then klicked on th eiPad "open in iBooks" from mail.
    The problem is that every time I connect the iPad to the PC for synchronizing etc the books show up in iTunes but after that the files are gone from iBooks and I have to add them again. I have the synchronization of books not activated in iTunes.

Has anybody seen the same and could help me solving this?

Thanks and Regards,
    Tom
  4. macdaddio

macdaddio iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    same..I have to continue to re add the PDF file because it keeps disappearing from iBooks. And it is the same PDF file that goes missing.
  5. eDeNMM

eDeNMM iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hope this help.

I had the same problem until I realised PDF Files and Books are stored under different folders in iPad with an option to move the PDF files into the main library. I dont have my iPad with me now hence unable to guide how to get the PDF files. Try tap the library button and you may have option to go to the iBooks or PDF files.
  6. macdaddio

macdaddio iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there,

That doesn't do any better I'm afraid. It is always the same PDF file that disappears very strange..
  7. agencius

agencius iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iAnnotate is better to use for PDF documents than iBooks as a constructive suggestion, switch to it. Yes it is usually ten dollars, but worth it. Plus it has a very powerful document manager function, multiple on screen folders, ability to rename the main document title that ends up being a Q based name or some such by default with Safari opens can be fixed inside of iAnnotate.

Highlighter tools and shear speed with real decent search are also other good reasons to step up. Large PDF files really fly!

Good luck!