What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF editor app

iPVillan12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was curious if anyone knew if their was an app for PDF file that you are able to edit rather than just viewing it? I search the app store but majority of it mentions for viewing. If there is one, I probably missed it. Anybody have a suggestion? TIA.

-Peter

GrendelPrime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a similar boat.
I would like to use my iPad for playing Pathfinder to view and update my character sheet, but Goodreader, iPDF, and CloudReaders only allow reading.
I'm going to give iAnnotate PDF a try, I'll let you know how it works out for me.

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
I've been using Goodreader, but it doesn't let you edit the document, only view it. I don't know if .pdf editors will appear or not. Considering how much Steve Jobs has slammed Adobe, they might not look kindly on iPad apps that have cracked their proprietary file format (pdf). Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

GrendelPrime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turns out iAnnotate PDF does a passable job for my needs.

While I would much rather be able to fill out the .pdf like a form and edit the text, the ability to bookmark pages, annotate, highlight, draw on, and copy passages is enough for my use.

The Aji Reader Service makes moving files pretty simple, I have everything prepped for gaming night, and it even remembers which .pdfs I had open (allows for tabbing between multiple open .pdf files).

If you need to edit existing .pdf files or create new ones, iAnnotate PDF is not the answer.
If you need some interaction with the file to make notes or copy some text, iAnnotate PDF works well.

OP
I

iPVillan12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm thanks for the input Write and thanks for the headsup Grendel about the info on iAnnotate I was thinking about buying that too. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if one will come out or if anyone else knows anything.

nabilalk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any update on this question? I would like to be able to highlight, make notes, annotate, underline, strikethrough, and draw figures or arrows on an existing PDF. Then I would like to be able to export the finished PDF files for backup purposes. What's the best app that you all have used to accomplish this task?

In addition, I have heard that some of the PDF reader apps can't handle large PDFs like over 50 pages. The PDFs that I want to edit are over 500 pages (medical school coursepacks).

Starting with OS4, iBooks will be able to read PDFs too. Will Apple change the annoying way they have it set for highlighting and annotating, or will you still have to make a text selection with two fingers and then resize the text selection to what you want to keep, then click highlight?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I can use an iPad, rather than a tablet PC for use in medical school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yeti88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take notes looks like they are really good for editing pdf files.

irwaffles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any update on this question? I would like to be able to highlight, make notes, annotate, underline, strikethrough, and draw figures or arrows on an existing PDF. Then I would like to be able to export the finished PDF files for backup purposes. What's the best app that you all have used to accomplish this task?

In addition, I have heard that some of the PDF reader apps can't handle large PDFs like over 50 pages. The PDFs that I want to edit are over 500 pages (medical school coursepacks).

Starting with OS4, iBooks will be able to read PDFs too. Will Apple change the annoying way they have it set for highlighting and annotating, or will you still have to make a text selection with two fingers and then resize the text selection to what you want to keep, then click highlight?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I can use an iPad, rather than a tablet PC for use in medical school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use iAnnotate, and I can't vouch for whether or not it can handle 500 page pdf files, but I can say that it does everything else you want just fine.

I'm a biochemistry major and I use it to take notes during all my science lectures and it works wonders.

iPad Guru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found an app called Touch-Fill-Go, it used to be free, but now it's $2.99. The application is designed for the iPhone/iPod Touch. However, I can add add text boxes, multi line boxes, check boxes, and even a signature box. I use it to fill out forms and then email them. I'm the only person in my office who is 100% paper free because of the iPad. As far as I know, Touch-Fill-Go is the only application that allows you to actually fill out a PDF.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
fdb173f3.png

But you can do this stuff too:

ab9dccff.png

Samuco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We just released Skylight for iPad which sort of does what you need. You can delete text from the actual document and then place a text box over the location.
It does a lot of annotations, and saves the, quickly and correctly. The only problem with the app is that it only supports iTunes for getting PDF's onto the device. We will be adding more connections soon.

I use iAnnotate, and I can't vouch for whether or not it can handle 500 page pdf files, but I can say that it does everything else you want just fine.

I'm a biochemistry major and I use it to take notes during all my science lectures and it works wonders.
We tested Skylight using a 850 page document, which it handled perfectly.

Most reactions

Latest posts