What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF Annotations

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting a migraine here with all the productivity apps ... still don't know which ones are 'the best'.

I've tried two great apps called Readdle and iAnnotate. Excellent at marking up and annotating pdf docs (haven't tried annotating iWork or Office docs yet; hopefully the same). Huge is you can transfer them back and forth between iPad and laptop, and don't lose your markups when you open the file in Preview or App.

One thing though, is there a way to still see the 'rectangle or oval' annotations (from Preview) in the iPad apps?
Impossible here. But when you transfer back the doc to your laptop, those are still on the pdf doc.

Thks for your help.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at Annotated PDFs

Getting a migraine here with all the productivity apps ... still don't know which ones are 'the best'.

I've tried two great apps called Readdle and iAnnotate. Excellent at marking up and annotating pdf docs (haven't tried annotating iWork or Office docs yet; hopefully the same). Huge is you can transfer them back and forth between iPad and laptop, and don't lose your markups when you open the file in Preview or App.

One thing though, is there a way to still see the 'rectangle or oval' annotations (from Preview) in the iPad apps?
Impossible here. But when you transfer back the doc to your laptop, those are still on the pdf doc.

Thks for your help.

Preview indicates to me you have a Mac.

Right?

There is a ton of stuff I could tell you about PDFs, Mac and the iPad.

But for now
best annotation on the iPad = iAnnotate
best for annotation overall = Preview on the Mac OS X
best PDF readers on iPad in order of quality for reading

iAnnotate has tabbed reading which is nice if you don't blow the memory
iBooks has a great search feature for high speed examining any PDF.

othewise

GoodReader
iBooks
Readdle
iAnnotate
Stanza

You mentioned that in addition to iAnnotate you could use Readdle to annotate - highlight only. Add to that GoodReader as they will be coming out with an Annotate feature in the next update.

There are PDF programs you can grab for windows but Windows is not nearly as slick and fast as the Mac where the PDF software is built into the OS.

Adobe Reader is the standard Windows PDF reader. There are a number of others you can grab.

PS Do not forget to SAVE your file after doing some Annotation otherwise you may loose you work.

Last edited:
OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Phun

Thks a mil for your help. Yes, desktop, laptop, and iPad are all from Apple. Like some MS software, but usally avoid.

I've bought all of the apps that you mentioned save for Stanza. Productivity apps are huge for me, about 2 full pages on my iPad home screen at this point.

If my many tests can be trusted, adding markups and annotations to pdf files, and moving them back and forth (yes indeed, save your files, I've lost a couple) between the Pad and computer seems to work well (iAnnotate, Readdle, Preview).

As for MS Office and iWork docs, annotating, transferring, AND editing files, we'll forget for now. But we'll keep trying, learning, and looking for what apps can be more efficient for productivity.

About your interesting footnote, my biggest disappointment with the Pad so far is the lack of support for Flash. But surprisingly, nobody seems to be requesting this feature for the next version. Probably a technical thing they understand better than I, or they simply belive that html5 will soon become more 'mainstream'. Can't be because they don't need it, can it?

Again thks for your reply.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@4phun, thanks very much from me too - extremely helpful both here and in another PDF thread (I would give a link but I'm new here and I need to have 3 posts before I can post links).

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More on PDFS

@4phun, thanks very much from me too - extremely helpful both here and in another PDF thread (I would give a link but I'm new here and I need to have 3 posts before I can post links).

Oh I have a lot more about PDFs. I just do not have all the time to type it up,

Your post generated an email reminding me of this thread.

There are two basic PDF formats. One stores text and data about how it is formatted, the other is a picture of the text wrpped up in the PDF format.

When you have the latter you can only annotate it by adding a NOTE or marking it up with a line drawing, circle, or perhaps a free hand line.

You can convert this one to one that stores text with an OCR app just as you OCR a page from a scanner.

The one that stores the text can do a lot more. You can select the text on the iPad and COPY it and then drop it into another application like MAIL.

The markup features add HIGHLIGHT, UNDERLINE, and STRIKE THROUGH.

On the desktop you can also add URLs that link to other parts of the same document or to WWW web pages. You can also add BOOKMARKS.

Some of the iPad applications let you markup a PDF and add pages to it.
On the Mac with PREVIEW you can add or drop pages as well as combine two or more PDFS or parts of PDFs to make a totally new PDF file.

I am constantly saving parts of web pages as PDFs for future reference and if you would like we could talk about how that is done if you are not already aware of it. Another source is to GOOGLE what you would like to do and see what others have already done with PDFs.

One neat piece of software that allows you to change PDFs on the iPad is SmartNote. You might want to do a search using YouTube to see how SmartNote works. It might be something you could use too.

Do a search here for links and more about SmartNote and similar programs.

more later if interested

Last edited:
OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mr. iPad Master

Thks a ton once again.

I've learned most of these features through my trial-and-errors, mostly the latter one I might add. The OCR thing seems to create a lot of trouble based on these forums. Simple to solve though.

Getting closer to eliminating some of the apps I've purchased. Redundant!

But I will definitely check out the 'add URL (web pages)' feature, and SmartNote.

Good Stuff,

Cheerios!

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not delte apps from iTunes just uncheck them for iPad

Thks a ton once again.

I've learned most of these features through my trial-and-errors, mostly the latter one I might add. The OCR thing seems to create a lot of trouble based on these forums. Simple to solve though.

Getting closer to eliminating some of the apps I've purchased. Redundant!

But I will definitely check out the 'add URL (web pages)' feature, and SmartNote.

Good Stuff,

Cheerios!

Don't delete any files that are redundant from iTunes, just uncheck them so they do not take up room on the iPad. Who knows maybe updates will make them very competitive again. Then you may want to add them back to the iPad. meanwhile iTunes will have been updating them all along for you.

I have about 700 apps on iTunes but only have about 160 on the iPad that I use.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OCR of a PDF is Simple

Open a Google Documents account.
Upload your PDF with the option to convert the PDF image to text.

Bing Bang Boom - All Done

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solving one annoying problem with PDF annotations

I have had a problem with some annotations that appear on the desktop not appearing on the iPad. I figured out how to solve that this morning.

I had a multi page PDF of a Kroger grocery ad. After marking it up with some notes and a handful of nice arrows pointing to items I did wanted to pick up I found that all that disappeared when sent to the iPad.

The solution I found was to PRINT the ad to another PDF file which seemed to 'burn' the markup into the new PDF. Now it appears proplery on my iPad to use for shopping in any PDF viewer I choose to use.

DELETING PAGES INSIDE A PDF

You can easily delete one or more pages from with in a PDF using PREVIEW on the MAC. Do a search for delete in Preview Help.

Last edited:
OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great info as usual. We'll keep it in the Troubleshooting notebook from ... SmartNote. Solid app indeed, especially the pdf features and different page formats. Still learning though, this one and iAnnotate.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 more PDF Tips

Windows

PDFill PDF Tools are FREE. Included are Merge, Split, Reorder, Encrypt, Decrypt, Rotate, Crop, Reformat, Header, Footer, Watermark, Images to PDF, PDF to Images, Form Fields Delete/Flatten/List, PostScript to PDF, PDF Information, Scan to PDF, and Create Transparent Image options.
No watermarks! No pop-up ads! FREE for personal or commercial use! FREE distribution!
PDFill PDF Editor with FREE PDF Writer and FREE PDF Tools - www.PDFill.com

MAC

Mac's PRINT command has PDF option. If you look closely at that option there is an EDIT MENU option. Select that and use the plus sign to add your DROPBOX or a sub directory in your DROPBOX to add SEND TO DROPBOX as an option when creating a new PDF with the PRINT command.

While studying or browsing the web a quick PRINT creates a PDF that is easily shared with the iPad. On the iPad simple app like DROPBOX, or GoodReader quickly move a file from the drop box to the iPad and then allow you to OPEN WITH a variety of iPad apps.

Slick and Fast!

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giveaway of the Day JPG To PDF Converter is a windows utility

Giveaway of the Day

JPG To PDF Converter is a windows utility that quickly convert multiple images into a single pdf document.
Posted: 23 Aug 2010 12:00 AM PDT
jpg2pdf.jpg
JPG To PDF Converter is a windows utility that quickly convert multiple images into a single pdf document. With JPG To PDF Converter users an create pdf files from image formats like JPG, GIF, BMP, TIF, PNG and PSD.
Key features:

• 92% faster than Other PDF Converters
  • 85% Compressed PDF file size
  • Support Most of Popular Image Format
  • Support for ALL Windows OS
  • New and improved interface

OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Print option

Brilliant the pdf print option. Like, 'wow'. Thks!

Monty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm an iPad newbie and came on here to get some help, but I think you've already pointed me in the right direction with iAnnotate.

However, I need to annotate pdf's REALLY fast - live on stage - so I'm going to need a stylus. Some of them look like they're more designed fro drawing that writing; anyone got a sure-fire writing stylus recommendation for me please?

Monty

Jerr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Annotations Disappear

Added annotations in Preview file
Saved file with new file name
Transferred to iPad using drop box
Viewed with iAnnotate on iPad ... Annotations do not show

With earlier versions of iAnnotate I had tried going from iPad iAnnotate to Preview on my laptop and the annotations also disappeared

Thanks for any ideas

Jerr

[/SIZE]

Most reactions

Latest posts