What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paying for movies

pettit1988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've downloaded a few movies from iTunes on my iPad! I want to delete a couple to gain space on my iPad but may want to download them again in the future, does this mean I have to pay again or do they work like paid apps and recognise that you've payed before and let you do it for free?
Someone in Cardiff apple store said that you have to pay but I have never checked it out for myself

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With the advent of iCloud and iOS 5, movies and TV shows (at least most of them) are supposed to be re-downloadable without paying again (possibly a limited number of times). I've noticed that quite a few of my TV shows (no movies section yet) are already showing up in iTunes this way. It's under the new Purchased section in iTunes, both the iPad and computer version. This is not available in all countries.

However I'm not sure I would trust this for important shows until iCloud and iOS 5 are fully implemented and released. You never know what might be changed at the last minute, or if your favorite movie company will opt out. Or if Apple will succeed with getting any of the big movie companies to sign on.

If you are not adverse to syncing with iTunes, your better bet is to connect your iPad to the computer, right click on the iPad under the Devices list in the left column, and choose Transfer Purchases. This should copy all iTunes purchased content to your computer's iTunes library for safe keeping, and re-syncing at a later date.

OP
pettit1988

pettit1988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a MacBook with a 500gb hard drive to back them up but I am traveling around Australia for a year so left it at home so I cannot back them up unfortunately!
As for the icloud and ios5 thing u were talking about, what are they, how do I get them? I'm not too clued up on the whole apple stuff

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iCloud and iOS 5 are not yet released, though some features of iCloud are out in beta for the U.S. and a few other countries. They should be out sometime this Fall. You'll need a computer and iTunes to upgrade, or maybe you can visit an Apple store and get them to do it for you, since you'll probably still be away from your MacBook.

I don't have a good solution for you on backing up the Movies without a computer. Sorry.

OP
pettit1988

pettit1988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read up on icloud and it seems pretty good, can I only install it through a computer with iTunes u saying?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 5 itself will still need a computer and iTunes to be installed. After it is installed future updates are supposed to be available directly to the iPad.

An Apple Store may be willing to help you make the update if you make an appointment. When the time comes, figure out where the nearest one is, call them and ask.

MAcsure

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U could always just go buy a external hard drive and use that.
You can buy a 1x terra gig ext HHD for about $70au.

MAcsure

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well quite simple really.
Two ways. The easiest way which I have just done myself, so I know it works is. You take your whole itune library over to the external HHD, and play everything from that. Google it for the steps. Disadvantage for some people is you need yr ext HHD always plugs in.

Second way, will prodbadly suit this bloke better, Is to transfer music and pic files over onto external HDD free ing up space on his laptop.

But thinking about this as I type, his movies will stay on iTunes, as long as he doesn't delete the library file from the laptop, because wouldnt it just be like if bought a new laptop, Hmmmm I think I have even done this myself once when goofed up with syncing once, I have known to be wrong before too :)

MAcsure

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I re read the op question. I have misunderstood the question, Please disregard, however I have found this which might help you.

What’s a person to do when their hard drive crashes, and they lose all of the songs that they purchased from iTunes? There is no option to re-download all of your iTunes purchases offered through either iTunes or the Apple website. However, while you may get chastised for not backing up your iTunes library (which you will do from now on, right?), it is possible to redownload all of your iTunes songs purchased through iTunes again, and restore your iTunes purchases.

First, it’s important to understand that Apple has a policy of not letting people download iTunes music purchases more than once per purchase, and that undoubtedly has to do with royalties that they have to pay on each download. So you get to download the song that you purchase through iTunes exactly once.

And Apple strongly urges you (and rightly so) to backup your iTunes library (and of course you should always make a regular backup of all of your data).

But, shift happens, and what can you do if, somehow, you lose your only copies of the songs that you have downloaded through iTunes?

Well, as it happens, Apple isn’t heartless, and they do have a way for you to recover those songs that you purchased and downloaded through iTunes.

But first, you have to make absolutely sure that you don’t have any copies, anywhere.

Once you are really sure that those iTunes songs are gone, you can fill out a form at the Apple site, and explain your situation, and, as likely as not, they will very quickly flip a switch on your iTunes account, so that the next time you log into the iTunes store with the iTunes program, you’ll find that your iTunes selections are ready for you to download again.

Just don’t abuse it, and for goodness sakes, backup your hard drive!

Form to request to download iTunes purchases again

Edited by Moderator ~ No outside links please!

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Movies, not music.

No need to go to all that trouble for music. If you don't have iClouds beta now, when iClouid does come along for real you'll be able to download all you music and most TV shows again, free of charge. However there is no indication of movies at this point, and no guarantee they will be included later.

Last edited:
OP
pettit1988

pettit1988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you (macsure) have misunderstood my situation! I havent deleted them yet and it was just a query if I do is it a simple case of re downloading for free IF I wanted to watch it in the future, apple would benefit so much better if you could delete the content of movies you don't plan on watching for a while and keep the cover in the video library. I know I would download a lot more movies on my apple products instead of renting them from movie stores, maybe it should be suggested! Apple are always improving and personally I think that's a big improvement, don't know bout you guys?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you (macsure) have misunderstood my situation! I havent deleted them yet and it was just a query if I do is it a simple case of re downloading for free IF I wanted to watch it in the future, apple would benefit so much better if you could delete the content of movies you don't plan on watching for a while and keep the cover in the video library. I know I would download a lot more movies on my apple products instead of renting them from movie stores, maybe it should be suggested! Apple are always improving and personally I think that's a big improvement, don't know bout you guys?

Apple would like to offer movies this way, but the movie industry has balked, at least according to stuff I've read.

OP
pettit1988

pettit1988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a shame, I think it would be so much better

Most reactions

Latest posts