What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passwords

cbbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have an iPad 3. How can I keep my sign in names & passwords signed in, without always being asked to sign in all the time? On my iMac I have keychain but it's not on the iPad.
Thnx

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you mean website passwords, try using a different browser. I've been trying Mercury, which like Firefox asks if I want it to remember a password the first time I use it. I'm sure there are others with that feature.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Settings > Safari:

Make sure you have Private Browsing turned OFF, and Accept Cookies 'From visited'.

This will work with most sites that have a remember me option (usually a check mark on the sign in screen). How long it lasts depends on the site. Some last days, some weeks. They function (track your log in status) using cookies, which is why you need private browsing off and to accept cookies.

You can also select Auto Fill and turn on Names and Passwords. This saves your user name and password for a site after you fill them out the first time. It will help with most other sites.

Nothing works with everything. Heck, even Keychain doesn't work all the time.

There is no equivalent of Keychain on the iPad. The closest you can come is to get a third party password app like 1Password. Some (including 1Password) have a built in web browser than can be accessed directly from the app. You can use it as a sort of secure bookmark list. It's not a great web browser, but it will do the job if you have a site that justifies that level of security.

It is also possible to copy and paste the password from these apps, if you have especially long and hard to remember passwords; which according to security experts we should all have (and they are probably right).

Btw, I use 1Password on both the iPad and iMac. Not the cheapest solution, but it syncs across devices (using DropBox), and is far more versatile than Keychain (which I rarely use these days).

Last edited:
OP
C

cbbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, what exactly is Dropbox? I've heard of it but never used it

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, what exactly is Dropbox? I've heard of it but never used it

Dropbox is online storage. You can sign up to use 2GB of free storage (you can get more ... for an annual fee). it's like iCloud in that your data is stored elsewhere "in the cloud" and you can access it from any Internet-capable device (a browser on a computer or a [fee] app on an iDevice).

There are more online storage companies like Dropbox - it just happens to be a popular one at this forum.

Marilyn

OP
C

cbbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I can use it on the IPad also.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I can use it on the IPad also.

Yep, I use Dropbox on my iPhone 4S and my iPad mini. It's quite nice for keeping files for when you need them without taking up space on your devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts