What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passwords

Spindlewoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully Tim will see this one and respond! I have been attacked by a hotmail phisher and have taken the precaution of changing all my passwords. Whilst I can still receive emails on my Hotmail account (having changed the password), it won't SEND anything from that account as it says that the password is incorrect. I have checked in settings to verify the new password but can't see a way of changing the send box to allow. What am I missing??

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am honoured to be asked for by name ;-))

OK - there are a lot more experienced Forum members than me, so don't be surprised if my suggestion is contradicted by others. Anyway, let's give it a go and don't hesitate to get back to me if there's a problem. There are so many ways in which an email account can be set up that what I suggest here might not be what you see when you try to fix this.

If you find my suggestion doesn't match with what you see on your iPad try to send back as detailed a description as possible.

Off we go.....

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', <select the account you want to modify>, 'Account', 'Outgoing Mail Server', 'SMTP', 'Primary Server', and there you should be able to set your password. You probably want 'Authentication' set to 'Password' too.

OK - as I said - maybe, as you go through this you will find my description above doesn't match what you see; if so, let me and the Forum know in as much detail as possible what you actually see (the detail can be very important) and we'll fix it.

Hope this helps but don't get depressed if it doesn't. Computers were deliberately made complicated to keep guys like me in work...;-)) If they were simple, we'd all be out of a job.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all else fails, try deleting the account from the iPad and adding it again. Any hidden settings for passwords and smtp servers should get reset that way.

OP
S

Spindlewoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I am honoured to be asked for by name ;-))

OK - there are a lot more experienced Forum members than me, so don't be surprised if my suggestion is contradicted by others. Anyway, let's give it a go and don't hesitate to get back to me if there's a problem. There are so many ways in which an email account can be set up that what I suggest here might not be what you see when you try to fix this.

If you find my suggestion doesn't match with what you see on your iPad try to send back as detailed a description as possible.

Off we go.....

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', <select the account you want to modify>, 'Account', 'Outgoing Mail Server', 'SMTP', 'Primary Server', and there you should be able to set your password. You probably want 'Authentication' set to 'Password' too.

OK - as I said - maybe, as you go through this you will find my description above doesn't match what you see; if so, let me and the Forum know in as much detail as possible what you actually see (the detail can be very important) and we'll fix it.

Hope this helps but don't get depressed if it doesn't. Computers were deliberately made complicated to keep guys like me in work...;-)) If they were simple, we'd all be out of a job.

Tim
Scotland

You, Sir Tim, are a star of the first magnitude! All working OK - I hadn't gone across far enough on the outgoing server tag.

I look forward to contacting you with my next problem - but hopefully not!

Woody

OP
S

Spindlewoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone help? I am trying to open Safari and whilst I can search all the available options are greyed outand I can't do anything.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I moved your other post to a new thread in the Help section and put a suggestion there.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts