What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password Protect Ipad2 Apps

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to password protect apps in iPad2.
Any help would be appreciated.

Only those apps that are designed by their developers to incorporate password protection offer this capability. It is not possible to generally password-protect other apps - for example, it's not possible to password-protect any of Apple's iWorks suite of Office-compatible apps. It's not that no-one has so far written an app - it's technically not possible on a non-jailbroken iPad because of the restrictions imposted by the iPad's operating system iOS, which mandates that one app cannot directly control or influence another (for virus protection purposes). The only interaction that is allowed between apps is via iOS and that is limited and would not allow password protection.

Tim

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you jailbreak there is a tweak called locktopus which does exactly this, but I don't think you can jailbreak iPad 2 yet :(

OP
A

aamirsiddiqui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Only those apps that are designed by their developers to incorporate password protection offer this capability. It is not possible to generally password-protect other apps - for example, it's not possible to password-protect any of Apple's iWorks suite of Office-compatible apps. It's not that no-one has so far written an app - it's technically not possible on a non-jailbroken iPad because of the restrictions imposted by the iPad's operating system iOS, which mandates that one app cannot directly control or influence another (for virus protection purposes). The only interaction that is allowed between apps is via iOS and that is limited and would not allow password protection.

Tim

Thanks Tim
Yes this is quite boring, the only way is to place a central password on the iPad screen, jailbreak could be an option but its early to jailbreak the unit and wonder if it's possible to do so

OP
A

aamirsiddiqui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quicksilver71 said:
If you jailbreak there is a tweak called locktopus which does exactly this, but I don't think you can jailbreak iPad 2 yet :(

Thanks
I reckon its too soon to jail break the new iPad and more so ever as you rightly mentioned if it's possible to do so

OP
A

aamirsiddiqui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
aamirsiddiqui said:
Thanks
I reckon its too soon to jail break the new iPad and more so ever as you rightly mentioned if it's possible to do so

Hi need some help
I have been using cardscanner, business card scanner, is their a way to get the contacts to my ipad2 address book, if yes, how this is possible, as the cardscan online service would wind up at the end of this year and all subscribers have been advised to have the data which is online to save it on their systems
Thanks

Most reactions