What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password hide type

Sharonbens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to iPad and Mac in general - I love it! everything make sense and is so user friendly!!! One thing that I cant understand though is the "password- asterix- lag". Why make an hidden password if it shows every letter for 5 seconds before it decides to hide it. It might as well not hide it at all.
Please let me know if there is anyway I can change this so that it automatically shows an asterix and not each letter first.
Thank you so much for the help!!
S

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No way to change it.

This is true of most devices using virtual keyboards. Even my Droid X does it. And I prefer it that way. Otherwise it can be hard to be sure you just hit the right key.

As far as security, if someone is close enough to read you password field on the iPad, they aren't going to have any trouble seeing what you are typing on the keyboard. Unlike a physical keyboard, you aren't going to be able to fake hit a key.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to iPad and Mac in general - I love it! everything make sense and is so user friendly!!! One thing that I cant understand though is the "password- asterix- lag". Why make an hidden password if it shows every letter for 5 seconds before it decides to hide it. It might as well not hide it at all.

S

So Someone that shows up behind your back when you key in your last letter, wouldn't be able to see the all password.

You do see each letter, for conformation. You are more likely to make a mistake with a virtual KB.

sdjensen2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiding Password a must

It is a must to fix this. For example, if I am running the new ipad 2 and I have a giant HDMI screen attached to it, and I have 50 people watching. I dont want them seeing my password especially if it is a common password i use in all my finanacial dealings across tons of sites. it means I now distrust 50 people who were once friends. so it makes no sense not to cloak the password entry process. Apple TV and iPAD and iphone all share this weakness.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can see where that would be a problem for you. I'm not sure your use case is prevalent enough to inconvenience everyone else, but you do need a solution.

I can think of one stop gap, though I doubt you would be happy with it as a permanent solution. Before you display the iPad on the big screen, use the notepad app to copy the password. Or if you are more security minded, which is probably a good idea, copy it out of whatever program you used to securely store your passwords.

Now, when doing your presentation you can paste the password into the password field.

Nothing but dots here people, move along.

You don't have to point out to me the many drawbacks of this solution, but until you have a better one maybe this can get you through a presentation or two.

sdjensen2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiding Passwords a general Apple iOS Module Problem

Thanks for the quick reply.

but I am not trying to "get by". I am trying to help voice a big concern for Apple iOS and platform in general.

I am switching over from PC, and Comcast, and blackberry - over to iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and MacBook Pro. The MacBook is the only apple platform which seems to handle passwords very well.

I have had this problem ever since becoming an apple fan. the Apple TV has the exact same problem (own 4 of these). we have a movie room. often with 30 people in the room (mostly teens) i type in the parental control four character password. as I do this, all 30 teens memorize the parental control password (which hides after selecting the number). there has to be a better way to control information at apple? It seems to be a low priority.

As an iPad future app developer, I will want to push this password thing as an important area for us to consider.
:ipad-keyboard:

scottadye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any Solutions Yet?!

Ok . . . I tinkered around and found a solution. You can use the iPhone Remote App. It uses asterisks instead of the letter as you type!!!! This fixes the Apple TV problem. Not sure about the iPad/HDMI issue.

This really is a serious problem. I had friends over last night to watch Apple TV. I had to pretend I could not remember my password. This needs to be fixed quickly. Otherwise, you are never really going to be able to watch Apple TV or hook up you iPad to a television to watch with a group.
Does anyone have any recommendations?!

especially if it is a common password i use in all my finanacial dealings across tons of sites

To quote Dick Gregory in The Hot Chick, "Oh, I wouldn't do that!" See my post on Securing Your Passwords at mplawner.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/23/

Although, I agree with you, this IS a problem on the iOS devices. Would especially be nice if you could turn this off when using a Bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited:

darios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a big problem! We are not allowed to use iPAD in lecture or presentation because of password security. This issue is making more than 1500 lectors NOT to use iPAD in our University. It should be very easy for Apple just make it optional to hide or not hid passwords last typed letter. I think they are not realized yet how big this problem is. I hope they will soon get an eye on this security issue.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you guys are simply posting this compliant here, don't expect Apple to address it... This is not Apple's feedback system.... Go post it on Apple's website feedback form.

I get around this for presentations by logging in before connecting to the big display...

TulieM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. I make sure that nobody is around me when I'm typing my pw on ipad. In addition, I have to cautiously look around to see if there are any cameras on the ceiling pointing at my device. Too much extra effort to protect my pw, making the experience of logging in personal site on a public place super uncomfortable.

To the people who enjoy checking the letters of pw they type into the devices, my experience is that if you really use your pw a lot, your fingers remember the moves on the keyboard and a lot of time you don't even have to think. That is why I can type my pw very quickly and accurately w/t looking up the site and checks my pw, and that is also why I dislike the function of showing my password letter by letter.

It would be great if iPad can have the options for the users to choose either or not to show the pw while typing.

Harrykumar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any update or fix to this issue, I am not sure how apple can miss such an important security feature.

iowaviking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is definitely an issue for us as were hoping to use them for Board presentations but after having to enter the passcode and everyone knowing it, unless you remember to disconnect from Apple TV device. One thing we're going to try is to lengthen the time before requiring the passcode to be re-entered. Not ideal, as this opens the door a bit for someone to grab it quickly and get in but it's something. Hopefully an solution/option will become available in the near future.

happy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
apple-zones.blogspot.com
Please let me know if there is anyway I can change this so that it automatically shows an asterix and not each letter first.
Thank you so much for the help!!
S
Hello,I think the operating of iPad has a little complex,I also a newer about, you can read some information about how to use iPad,I can recommend one post about,I think it is good for newer! hope that can help you! as for the password problem I have not meet before,but I know a software that can solve password problem.I have forgotten its name, you can search something about the password software.

[Moderator edit: Removed non-related link from post. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions