What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passcode

Gwinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife tried to update her iPad to iOS7 by herself (first mistake) and now all it will show is the screen requiring a passcode. I've tried inputting all the variables I can think of that she "thought" she put in but to no avail. I tried going into iTunes on the computer and seeing if it would let me in, or at least do something, and it at least recognizes her iPad, and says the software is up-to-date (ie iOS 7.0) but it won't let me do anything until I go into iCloud on the iPad and turn off FindmyiPad...which can't be done until I can open it with a passcode. Does anybody know of a way to get into the iPad yet by not knowing the passcode????

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife tried to update her iPad to iOS7 by herself (first mistake) and now all it will show is the screen requiring a passcode. I've tried inputting all the variables I can think of that she "thought" she put in but to no avail. I tried going into iTunes on the computer and seeing if it would let me in, or at least do something, and it at least recognizes her iPad, and says the software is up-to-date (ie iOS 7.0) but it won't let me do anything until I go into iCloud on the iPad and turn off FindmyiPad...which can't be done until I can open it with a passcode. Does anybody know of a way to get into the iPad yet by not knowing the passcode????
Does your wife remember her Apple ID and password, the ones needed to purchase content through iTunes and the AppStore? That is what you need in order to turn off find my iPad. It is also what you need to erase all content and settings. This is not the same as the password used to unlock the device(at least I hope it isn't).

Last edited:
OP
G

Gwinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it!!....although I'm not 100% sure on how I did it. Scifan57, you were close. I had to connect to iTunes in the "recovery mode", then hold the control key down and click restore. That took me through a series of menus, and one of them was to enter my wife's Apple ID and password. I was then able to restore to the last backup I had on my computer....which wasn't exactly the way she had it, but she can at least now open the iPad and operate it. Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got it!!....although I'm not 100% sure on how I did it. Scifan57, you were close. I had to connect to iTunes in the "recovery mode", then hold the control key down and click restore. That took me through a series of menus, and one of them was to enter my wife's Apple ID and password. I was then able to restore to the last backup I had on my computer....which wasn't exactly the way she had it, but she can at least now open the iPad and operate it. Thanks!
I'm glad you managed to solve your problem. Thanks for letting us know, it may help the next person who has the same problem.

Most reactions