What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passcode problem for iPad2

Dragon459

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While trying to turn the "Restrictions" off under the "General" tab under Settings, we are asked for a passcode that we have not set. We're trying to troubleshoot a problem a problem purchasing items on Olive Tree Bible Reader and thought this might be a player - yes I'm working with their customer support but not making progress. We are at our 9th failed attempting the Passcode and are out of ideas.

My wife is certain she did not seta code and forget it, and my kids are too young to have (likely) input the same combination twice to set it. I was also able to create and then remove a Passcode. The Passcode I set did not work, nor did any possible likely default codes such as 0000 or1234.

Looking for any ideas out there. If a reset is necessary, will we really lose anything? We've got the iPad synced to iTunes, but don't want to force a reset if possible there are other solutions.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only way to get rid of a forgotten passcode is to restore the iPad. There is no default passcode, so somehow or other you've set one.

First do a Transfer Purchases by right clicking on the iPad in iTunes. After it is over check all your libraries and make sure your stuff is there. As a precaution you should save off all documents, camera roll, and other stuff that you don't want to risk losing. Email it to yourself if needed.

Here are some links on backing up and restoring. A lock password will reinstate with a backup from restore. I'm not sure about the restriction password, so you'll probably have to do a restore, and then add everything back manually.

How to Backup
iOS: How to back up

About iOS Backups
iTunes: About iOS backups

Syncing Photos via iTunes
iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Syncing photos via iTunes

OP
D

Dragon459

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The restore put me back in the same situation with the passcode. If we manually restore the settings and applications will iTunes recognize the items we have already paid for and allow us to download them without further charge?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can not use Restore from Backup to reset the passcode. That just loads it back in. You have to do a straight restore, and manually put your stuff back on the iPad.

iTunes will recognize and let you re-download your music, apps, iBooks, and most TV shows. Movies and music videos will have to be paid for again. You can see your purchased items by choosing the Purchased tab in the appropriate store app on the iPad, or selecting Purchased from the right column in iTunes on the computer.

You should be able to right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases before doing the restore. This should copy all iStore content t the iPad, including Movies and Music Videos. You can re-sync them after the restore. Syncing will not restore the password, so it is safe to do. However, only sync your device after you've made sure that you have your content either in iTunes on the computer, or somewhere else.

Don't forget things like pictures that are not already on the computer, documents in other apps, and PDFs in iBooks. Most of the time these things can be mailed to yourself.

Casisrad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never set a pass code on my ipad 3. Privacy settings keeps asking me for it, I never set it. There has got to be an easier way than restoring it all. No one but me uses my ipad......help!

Most reactions

Latest posts