What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

partial transfer

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When transferring my data from iMac to iPad 2, only 240 of my 900 photos transferred.

Is there a way to repeat the process, specifying only non-duplicates to be downloaded?

Thanks in adavance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is not a copy. It is a sync. This means that each time the iPad is synced it duplicates the contents of the folder you specified, including any changes you made. It will not create duplicates unless you have duplicates in the folder(s) you chose to sync. Unchecking the folder(s) will result in the removal of the pictures.

Try syncing again and see if the missing pictures get copied this time.

I should mention it is a one way sync. Changes made in iPhoto will not sync back to the computer; not that you can make changes in synced albums anyway.

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Syncing photos via iTunes

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mikel - if I hook up the iPad again, though, won't everything be synced? We obviously don't want two versions of everything.

OP
P

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. Looking forward to lots of good advice from the experts here.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
purbrookian said:
Thanks Mikel - if I hook up the iPad again, though, won't everything be synced? We obviously don't want two versions of everything.

No. ITunes keeps the folder in sync. That means it looks at what is on the iPad and what is in the folder and tries to make the iPad match the folder. It is not just a blind copy. That also means you have to leave the folder selected in iTune or it will remove the pictures next time you sync.

Some of this will change with iOS in just 4 more days, if you udate iOS that is.

OP
P

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again Tim. It's kind of you to take the time....but am still a bit foggy about iTunes' part in this....why is iTunes needed to transfer photos?

Swati.Siddharth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. My question will prove what a novice I am! I have downloaded apps on my iPad. When I start sync with my MacBook pro will it transfer the information to the laptop? Same question for photographs I have downloaded to the iPad using the camera connection kit, please.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Swati.Siddharth said:
Hi all. My question will prove what a novice I am! I have downloaded apps on my iPad. When I start sync with my MacBook pro will it transfer the information to the laptop? Same question for photographs I have downloaded to the iPad using the camera connection kit, please.

For the first question; it deprnds o your setup. You can set up syncing so that new apps are copied to iTune, ther is a copy new apps otion below the list of apps on the Apps syncing page. You can also force iTunes to make a copy of all you apps by right clicking o the iPad under the Devices list and choosing Transfer Purchase. Music, movies, and books will also copy over when you do this.

Another option you either ha e or will have with iCloud is to go to Prefernces, the Store tab, and turn on Apps. This will automatically download apps to iTunes whenever you buy a new one from the store on you iDevice.

Before you change the options it would be best to to the Transfer Purchases, then go through all the apps in the list and make sure the ones you want on your iPad are checked. Do the checking before you sync. That will make help prevent any accidental app deletions on the iPad.

OP
P

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At wits'end trying to update my user name and email address. The app store ,for example, doesn't seem to have a link for this.

The problem was exacerbated by iPad's insistence on longer and more complex passwords. now am u nsure which passwords go with which features. Is there a way to cancel them all and start over?

Just about ready to give up on this Byzantine tablet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can change your Apple ID password and email in the App Store (or any of the stores). At the bottom of most of the tabs you can see your Apple ID (or a sign in options). Tap on this and choose View Account. After entering your password you will see some of your account info and some options. Tap on your Apple ID at the top. Now you have the option to change your password and email address.

You can get to the same options in Settings > Store, plus an iForgot option when asked for your password, in case you forgot.

In iTunes Store on the computer you click on your Apple ID at the top right and get more options. When you are first asked for your password there is a Forgot Password option. Use that is you can't remember your password.

Note, you can not change your actual Apple ID here.

For more comprehensive control of your Apple ID and settings (including how to change the ID itself) go here on Apple's website.

Apple - Support - Apple ID

OP
P

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerpoet...

Sorry to bother you again.

While trying to update an app, a message appeared that my Apple ID was "...disabled for security reasons" , and to reset my password.

I have reset the password twice , but each time I try to access the App update, it repeats the same message.

It's getting infuriating . Do you know a way to escape this loop?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Nick

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd contact Apple's iTunes support. There is a link at the bottom of the any of the store apps. Email is their preferred method, but there are some phone numbers you can try. You'll have to dig through the support pages to find them.

Unlike tech support for the iPad itself, Apple will help you spend your money, at no extra charge. ;)

OP
P

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I'd contact Apple's iTunes support. There is a link at the bottom of the any of the store apps. Email is their preferred method, but there are some phone numbers you can try. You'll have to dig through the support pages to find them.

Unlike tech support for the iPad itself, Apple will help you spend your money, at no extra charge. ;)

Thanks, Poet. Found a number, and will joust with Apple 's windmills later.

Nick

Most reactions