PanGu 7.1.X Jailbreak Discussion

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by willerz2, Jun 23, 2014.

1. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    Today, an iOS 7.1.X jailbreak has been released by the name of PanGu, which has a Chinese origin, and works for all devices running iOS 7.1 and 7.1.1 (as well as 7.1.2 once the utility has been updated and iOS 7.1.2 is released).

Note that at the start of the release, you will not see 100% compatibility with tweaks that previously worked on 7.1's GeekSn0w or tweaks that worked on Evasi0n7's 7.0-7.0.6 jailbreak. Most packages still work though some do not, and it's ill advised to edit your firmware identifier via iFile. Share your experience and queries on PanGu.

[Original Message Redacted As Per Vetting of Utility]

Tutorial

Download Link

Windows v1.0.0

Windows v1.1.0

Mac OS v1.1.0
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +218 / 1
    Wowsers! Thank you very much for the warning.
  3. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    It may be a false positive. I'm getting mixed results, but it's best be on the safe side.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 2
    Thanks for the heads up and keeping us in the loop.
  5. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    As the utility has been vetted by known developers as well as trustworthy news sites, I'll retract my prior statement but will still point out the wariness that should be present while using the utility.

Mods/Admins can close this thread if they see fit and re-open the discussion thread under the supervision of a mod/admin
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +218 / 1
    Well, me shouldn't forget that the known jailbreak devs are human and, therefore, not immune to making mistakes. I seem to remember one jailbreak team adding a Chinese store that paid the jb developers for including the store in the jailbreak. I'm wondering if that optional store in the current jb is a similar deal.
  7. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    In the case of @Evad3rs, yes, that would be the case. But PanGu is of China-origins, so naturally they would have what we consider a piracy app included because Cydia is not Chinese-friendly. But the developers did make it optional to install the "Chinese Cydia" variant by adding a tickbox as opposed to Evasi0n7 which included it right off the bat. Granted that this is a Chinese-origin jailbreak, the incorporation of what we consider a piracy app is only fair since they want the Chinese users to be able to actually use a Cydia variant.

In any case, PanGu is "safe" to run, but to our readers, remember that this forum (as well as its sister forums) do not condone piracy at all, and there is a method to remove the piracy related packages as instructed by a trustworthy developer here if you sincerely accidentally left the box ticked and do not want to restore.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Twowit2woo

Twowit2woo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Anyone else had this fail?

Pangu icon appeared on ipad. Loaded it it said "keep the device connected" it rebooted once but that's as far as it gets. I noticed the text on the Pangu app turned red suggesting it failed for some reason - and the progress bar only got to around 95%
  9. Twowit2woo

Twowit2woo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    UPDATE: This may have been my bad. I ran it again but watched every step. On the reboot it was asking for my PIN so I can't help wondering whether I missed that last time and it eventually timed out.

All installed and working now :)
  10. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 2
    Any update on a MAC version?
  11. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    It's "in the making" with the next version. There aren't any ETAs on it just yet, but I'll keep an eye out and announce/post the links to it in the initial post.

Also updated the initial post with the direct download link as well as the link to the tutorial until the next version (will be in English as well as Mac support) is released.
  12. dragon499

dragon499 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Apparently, PanGu uses an expired certificate vulnerability to inject the payload. My internet research states that this "technique." lies on murky legal grounds. As it is clear that it is 100% legal to jailbreak, questioning the legality or ethics regarding the jailbreak method doesn't make sense to me.

Can somebody please elaborate why this technique is frowned upon.
  13. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,898 / 0
    The PanGu team used an expired Enterprise Certificate to do the jail break (is why you have to reset the date on the iDevice before jail breaking. I'm not too sure why, but evidently using the certificate is a legal gray area (maybe even thoroughly illegal). It has to do with copyright infringement, I think.

There are many ways to do a jail break. The teams usually stay away from legal gray areas as they could be subject to prosecution if they created and distributed copyrighted material.

My understanding of this issue is still a bit murky. All we really know is that, one of the more prominent members of the jail breaking community (iH8sn0w) has said they've stayed away from these certificates.

So, jail breaking is perfectly legal. It's just the development and distribution of the tools may be a bit fuzzy.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    Pretty much summed up. To add to the discussion, although this jailbreak utilizes expired certificates, like all previous jailbreaking vulnerabilities/exploits, they will be patched. In the case of expired certificates, the same method is used to pirate app, specifically on non-jailbroken devices. By releasing this method themselves, and because the jailbreak was backed by a piracy app maker, they just dug themselves a pretty deep grave considering once PanGu's exploits/vulns are patched, half of their users will not be able to pirate, which is good for us and Apple as well as developers, but detrimental towards pirates. Sure they may have utilized a gray-area-tier exploit for this jailbreak, but that just shut the door for a LOOOT of piracy that's been going around for quite some time.

At the same time though, this will also close the door on things like GBA4iOS, NDS4iOS and the likes for non-jailbroken devices as they also utilize certificates (particularly expired ones) to deliver the app to stock devices. In the end, Apple will "credit" the PanGu team for the discovery of an exploit in the iOS, but their fame came at the price of shutting down a significant amount of user access for many Asia-based users, and pirates around the world.
  15. dragon499

dragon499 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have one further question:

Will the Pangu Jailbreak work with IOS 7.1.2, which is set to be released soon. If It will, then I will wait to upgrade.
  16. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    It will, but it will have to be updated to support 7.1.2 (all you really need is to add the build number to the list of supported iOS/device combinations). 7.1.2 has been seeded to carriers already earlier this week, so there won't be any revisions for 7.1.2 to patch the exploits/vulnerabilities used. So 7.1.2 will most likely be supported by an updated version of PanGu, 7.1.3 will probably not.
  17. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    Pangu v1.1.0 has been released. The link has been updated in the first post. Boot loops have been fixed, the utility now reflects the language of your computer, and has the piracy app removed based on your computer's locality.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  18. Ulrich

Ulrich iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I assume v1.1 does not support iOS 7.1.2 yet? So we need to wait for v1.2? :)
  19. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0
    Nope. Not yet. The next update of the utility will support 7.1.2. I'll add the link in the initial post once it becomes available.

EDIT: Apparently there are no build restrictions for Pangu (did not notice it when I ripped the utility apart), so Pangu v1.1.0 will work on iOS 7.1.2. I'm not currently/planning to update to 7.1.2, but I'll try it when I have access to a device that needs an upgrade.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  20. HappyPelican

HappyPelican iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I don't know. I'm still running on JB 7.0 Something about this Jailbreak doesn't sit with me well. Of course, I'm a bit neurotic though :p