What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pandora data usage

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been told that Pandora really eats up the data...I did check my usage but am not sure how to calculate/determine Pandora's usage.

I could check the Verizon website before & after I use it ( like to listen while I walk...about 1.5/hrs daily)....but is there an 'app for that'?? ;^)

If the data use is considerable, what else can I use to listen on the go?

Thanks!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can check your data usage on the verizon Website and set alerts up when you getting close to your limit. ...the former you are already doing, but no mention to the alerts, which might help you get a handle of data usage with pandora and other data consumption apps.

Also, you can go to your iPhone settings to check your data usage and set it so it coincides with your billing cycle. There are apps that are available to check your data, however, using the two above is adequate enough for me.

Regarding listening to music, had you thought about uploading your own music onto your idevice rather then running pandora? Required no data. Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the really speedy reply! I have no iPhone (;^(....but I like the idea of uploading my own music...but how???? My stuff is on CD's......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are on iOS 7 you can check your cellular data usage by app. Go to Settings > Cellular. There will be a list of your apps at the bottom along with how much data they've used that period.

The data/period is reset at the bottom of the screen, where it will also tell you when that last reset was.

You can turn ON/OFF access to cellular data for each app, so you can trim out the unnecessary stuff if needed. You can also turn off Cellular data in Settings > iTunes & App Store. This will prevent you from wasting your cellular plan on app updates and other automatic content downloads. The iPad will wait until you have a wi-fi connection to do them.

Of course, this keeps you from buying new stuff when off wi-fi as well.

There are some third party apps/services in the App Store that will monitor your wi-fi data usage per app. They work by rerouting your connection through their servers, so they can tell what got sent/received where. It's a bit invasive, and you're depending on their integrity not to gather/sell your information, but probably the only way to do this from a stock iPad. It is probably not worth it unless you both really need to know, and your wi-fi ISP has a limited data plan that you are in danger of exceeding.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
thanks for the really speedy reply! I have no iPhone (;^(....but I like the idea of uploading my own music...but how???? My stuff is on CD's......

If you have a computer, download iTunes from Apple's site. You can rip CD's into iTunes and sync them to your iPad's Music app.

iTunes - Apple Support

Or there are third party solutions to sync music between the computer and the iPad. I'm not familiar with any of them, but other members are. Or you can Google it.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to rip CD's directly to the iPad.

OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, all...and for the links to read before I do this....just for the record I use cellular data as my iPad is also my hotspot for my computer. I do have iTunes on my Mac so I am ready to go.

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, all...and for the links to read before I do this....just for the record I use cellular data as my iPad is also my hotspot for my computer. I do have iTunes on my Mac so I am ready to go.

Do you have Cable TV? Internet connection, router, and home WiFi may be cheaper, based on how much you use and if you already have cable.

Just a suggestion...

OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have Cable TV? Internet connection, router, and home WiFi may be cheaper, based on how much you use and if you already have cable.

Just a suggestion...

thanks you for your suggestion...no, I am out in the boonies so no cable is available...I have satellite TV (only option) and had used a Verizon aircard for several years for Internet..using my iPad as the hotspot is basically the same thing but more portable than a laptop & aircard when traveling.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts