What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Palm Rest on Notetaking APPs Gone Bad

ulgenc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Everybody I have a never jailbroken Ipad2 with latest IOS 6 installed
My perfectly working palm rest sheets stopped working today on all my note taking apps.

My gestures are turned off and always had been....
The case is really strange.

I can deploy the rest sheet. But can not write anything on the un-protected area if I lay my palm on the glass first.
If I start writing first and then lay my palm on the protected area I can continue on writing.
The case is the same for all apps with palm rests.

It sounds like an IOS bug.

Anyone with the same problem???
Any ideas???

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I haven't heard of this happening but sometimes strange things do happen.

Have you tried the first fixes? to close your apps completely, a restart and/or reset and see if they fix your problem.

When an app behaves strangely it is best to close it completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly

Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Try them in that order and let us know how you go.

OP
U

ulgenc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To solve the palm rest problem I tried resetting and re booting several times to no avail. Then noticed some thing very odd.
On all the note taking apps if you touch the mask(the palm rest) at a single point all works well.
If by any chance you happen to touch the masked area at more then one location, the masking function fails and the stylus or finger cannot write any longer. The palm triggers a multitouch responce so you cannot write any more.

Looks like an IOS bug or faulty API design as I assume it is not possible for all the apps to have the same bug.

Can Anyone please check their note taking app with palm rest to see if two finger touches at the masked region prevents them from writing ?

I wonder if this is an isolated issue.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only note taking app I have with a rest function is Noteshelf. And, it works fine on my jail broken iPad 3. I know, anecdotal data of one does not help - but that's all I've got. :) Sorry, but mine works fine (and I've never noticed a problem when I had other hand writing apps).

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Notes Plus and mine works fine also.....I tried it in many different ways to see if it would fail but it works perfectly.

OP
U

ulgenc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My palm rest on all apps back to normal all by itself.

Very troubling.

Thanks for the help.

Most reactions