What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In all the program descriptions - for 'Pages' - there's illustrations showing the Menu bar in the 'Landscape' viewing mode, just as can be seen in the 'Portrait' mode. However, I have found that the Menu bar disappears when I orient the IPad in the 'Landscape' mode. After a bit of researching, I learned that at least a few others were plagued with the same issue, yet could find nothing on how to go about defeating what was going on. Should this App be responding in the manner that it is?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a constant user of Pages but I don't see this problem at all. But, to be clear, what exactly do you mean by the 'Menu' bar. I see three different menu bars - one that is visible in the 'My Documents' view, one that is always visible when an individual document has been selected and a further 'retractable' menu bar - that shows things like text justification and paragraph styles - that appears only when the document is being worked on. But I don't see any difference in behaviour whether I'm in Portrait or Landscape.

Tim

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a constant user of Pages but I don't see this problem at all. But, to be clear, what exactly do you mean by the 'Menu' bar. I see three different menu bars - one that is visible in the 'My Documents' view, one that is always visible when an individual document has been selected and a further 'retractable' menu bar - that shows things like text justification and paragraph styles - that appears only when the document is being worked on. But I don't see any difference in behaviour whether I'm in Portrait or Landscape.

Tim

Tim, I am referring to the Menu bar which includes Text Justification, Paragraph Styles, etc. It shows when I am in the Portrait mode, but totally disappears when in Landscape mode. If I am working on a document, in Landscape mode - and wish to italicize a word, I have to first orient to Portrait mode, which will allow display of the desired Menu bar. I prefer the Landscape mode for creating documents, as the larger display of the keyboard is much more suitable for my fingering.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, Time, I forgot to thank you for your response to my concern.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you, at some time, dismiss this menu bar? When it displays there's a 'X' at the top right hand side. If you touch that 'X' the menu bar will retract - and stay retracted - until you 'touch' the *very small edge* of it that is *just* showing from under the top, permanently displayed, menu bar. Touch that, and it pops back again.

Tim

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you, at some time, dismiss this menu bar? When it displays there's a 'X' at the top right hand side. If you touch that 'X' the menu bar will retract - and stay retracted - until you 'touch' the *very small edge* of it that is *just* showing from under the top, permanently displayed, menu bar. Touch that, and it pops back again.

Tim

I have never seen that 'X'. In the upper right area of that Menu bar (Potrait mode) there are two arrows, facing in opposite direction of each other. Hitting that will hide the Menu bar, and tapping in that same general area of the screen will bring the Menu bar back. But, in Landscape mode, there is absolutely nothing shown, and I cannot get that bar to show no matter WHERE I press on the screen.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

I have never seen that 'X'. In the upper right area of that Menu bar (Potrait mode) there are two arrows, facing in opposite direction of each other. Hitting that will hide the Menu bar, and tapping in that same general area of the screen will bring the Menu bar back. But, in Landscape mode, there is absolutely nothing shown, and I cannot get that bar to show no matter WHERE I press on the screen.

OK - if you look at the Menu bar with the two arrows facing in opposite directions can you see, just at the bottom edge of this bar, a ruler graticule? Try and touch that tiny graticule area and the other menu bar will scroll down.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cool. Never noticed that before.

Strange though, when I extend or retract the ruler it does so in both orientations. Sounds like it is stuck for the OP.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim, thanks for that.

It took a few tries to get that graticule to react for me, because of my having rather large hands & fingers :). But I WAS able to get that menu extension. However - and even with the menu extended down - everything was lost when I, again, switched to landscape view.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - it 'auto retracts' but, once you've 'pulled it down once' it will auto extend as soon as you start to edit the document. It only stays 'hidden' permanently if you dismiss it explicitly by hitting the 'X' in the top right hand corner of that bar.

Tim

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes - it 'auto retracts' but, once you've 'pulled it down once' it will auto extend as soon as you start to edit the document. It only stays 'hidden' permanently if you dismiss it explicitly by hitting the 'X' in the top right hand corner of that bar.

Tim

You know what? I wonder if that is, maybe, what I might have done (hit that X), at some point, without thinking. In fact, I am reasonably sure that I may very well have done that. But it would seem that there'd be a means by which to restore default settings of that App. Right now, it looks like I may have done permanent damage to that aspect of the App. Though I wonder if uninstalling/reinstalling the App might effectuate the change that I seek. After waking up, later, I will try that.

Thanks again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

You know what? I wonder if that is, maybe, what I might have done (hit that X), at some point, without thinking. In fact, I am reasonably sure that I may very well have done that. But it would seem that there'd be a means by which to restore default settings of that App. Right now, it looks like I may have done permanent damage to that aspect of the App. Though I wonder if uninstalling/reinstalling the App might effectuate the change that I seek. After waking up, later, I will try that.

Thanks again.

You won't have done any damage..hitting the 'X' just makes it permanently retract until you manually pull it down again, then it's in auto-retract mode. It never stays permanently down, the most you ever get is auto-retract.

Tim

Most reactions