What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages - This app is no longer shared with you

lotuspete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had not opened ‘Pages’ for some time and when I did I was prompted to sign into the iTunes Store. I did that and up came a small window with, “This app is no longer shared with you – To use it, you must buy it from the App Store. The choices were: “View in App Store” or “Cancel.” After clicking “View in App Store,” it is clear that Pages is still free (it came pre-loaded on my iPad2). When I click “open” I receive the same message and go around in circles. . . This should have nothing to do with family sharing since my iPad came with Pages.

Can anyone help?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I click on "Purchased" at the bottom of the iPad Apps screen, 'Pages' is not there.

Well, I'm not sure about your issue, but just a few thoughts: 1) What iOS version is on your iPad 2 (an OLD device); and 2) What version of Pages is now on your iPad? The iPad 2 is compatible only partially w/ the most recent versions of iOS and cannot run 10.x versions (see first pic below); also, the most current version of Pages (3.2 - see circled area in second pic) requires iOS 10.x to run - SO, may the issue be an older incompatible iPad? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 10.44.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 10.49.47 PM.png

OP
L

lotuspete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running iOS 9.3.5 and the version of Pages is 2.6.2

Well, I'm not sure about your issue, but just a few thoughts: 1) What iOS version is on your iPad 2 (an OLD device); and 2) What version of Pages is now on your iPad? The iPad 2 is compatible only partially w/ the most recent versions of iOS and cannot run 10.x versions (see first pic below); also, the most current version of Pages (3.2 - see circled area in second pic) requires iOS 10.x to run - SO, may the issue be an older incompatible iPad? Dave :)
View attachment 79295 View attachment 79296

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am running iOS 9.3.5 and the version of Pages is 2.6.2

Well, as shown in my previous pics w/ the circles, the iPad 2 cannot run the newest version of Pages (i.e. iOS v. 3.2) - you'll have to upgrade your iPad to a newer model that can run iOS 10.x if you want to use the newest offering of Pages - Dave :)

OP
L

lotuspete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should I not be able to simply continue to use Pages version 2.6.2? I was not trying to update to 3.2, I just lost the ability to open my files. The files are still there because I see a splash of them before the alert box comes up.

Thank you for all your help.

Well, as shown in my previous pics w/ the circles, the iPad 2 cannot run the newest version of Pages (i.e. iOS v. 3.2) - you'll have to upgrade your iPad to a newer model that can run iOS 10.x if you want to use the newest offering of Pages - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even though the latest version of Pages does not work on the iPad 2, you should still be able to use it with an older version. I'm using it on my iPad 2, and I can edit documents, and take a look at them.

Is it possible that you had a different Apple ID installed when you got this device? If so, sign out in App Store - Featured, then sign in again with the old ID, if it still exists.

If you didn't have a different ID, signing out of it and in again afterwards might help as well.

Do you use Family Sharing?

OP
L

lotuspete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J. A., Yes, way back when, my wife purchased the two iPads at the same time and used the same Apple I.D. which I subsequently changed on my device. Maybe that is it!

Thank you so much,
lotuspete

Even though the latest version of Pages does not work on the iPad 2, you should still be able to use it with an older version. I'm using it on my iPad 2, and I can edit documents, and take a look at them.

Is it possible that you had a different Apple ID installed when you got this device? If so, sign out in App Store - Featured, then sign in again with the old ID, if it still exists.

If you didn't have a different ID, signing out of it and in again afterwards might help as well.

OP
L

lotuspete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J. A., I forgot your last Q previously. No we do not use family sharing (but maybe we did a long time ago but I used Pages for years and years until just recently when I could no longer open my files.

So I tried your suggestions: logging out and then back in with my current Apple ID and Then with the old ID which was shared with my wife - sadly, neither technique worked.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to access the documents online, via browser on a computer, just to make sure where they are stored. Login to www.icloud.com with the Apple ID/iCloud ID that’s used for Pages. Maybe that will help finding out which account is used for the app.

Then try deleting the app, sign in with the account that’s connected to the app, and install it again.

OP
L

lotuspete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J. A. - Thanks, I found my documents in iCloud.

Now, since my iPad2 can only run Pages v2.6.2, is it possible to download that version?
Regards, Brian

You should be able to access the documents online, via browser on a computer, just to make sure where they are stored. Login to www.icloud.com with the Apple ID/iCloud ID that’s used for Pages. Maybe that will help finding out which account is used for the app.

Then try deleting the app, sign in with the account that’s connected to the app, and install it again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
J. A. - Thanks, I found my documents in iCloud.

Now, since my iPad2 can only run Pages v2.6.2, is it possible to download that version?
Regards, Brian

Look under your Purchased apps in the App Store. You should see Pages listed and available for download there. This will download the last compatible version of the app for your device/OS.

OP
L

lotuspete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it is not there (Purchased apps)

Look under your Purchased apps in the App Store. You should see Pages listed and available for download there. This will download the last compatible version of the app for your device/OS.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You may have to contact iTunes and App Store support. Unlike tech support for your device, app store support is free.

It is strange that the notification said the app is no longer shared with you. The only way I know of to share an app is through family sharing, where one member of your family buys that app and shares it with the others. I don’t remember iOS 9.x haveing family sharing, so I’m having dificulty figuring out how Pages could get shared, let alone having the sharing disabled.

Most reactions

Latest posts