What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages page-numbering is off

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
following the directions (I believe) my document’s page numbering is:

1, 2, 1, 2, 3...

I don’t see why it isn’t

1, 2, 3....

any thoughts? thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages creates two kinds of documents, depending on the template you start from. One is a typical word processing document. In that kind of document you have little control over page numbering; only being able to choos the style. It begins on the first page, and proceeds from there. It is set up using Document Setup, found under the ... menu.

The second kind is a layout document. In this kind of document everything, even the text, exists in box/area on the page. If you select the paragraph sign (fancy looking P) in the tool keyboard tools and don’t see the Page Break option, you have a layout document. There are more nuanced page number controls for this kind of document.

You probalby have the second kind. To get to the page number controls, swipe from the left edge of the screen to see the page thumbnails. Select one, then open the brush tool at the top right. There will be a Page Number option, and several controls there. Be sure you do not have anything selected on the page iteself, or you won’t get the Page Layout tool.

You can find a better description of this using the Pages Help option under the ... menu, Table of Contents: Format Docuuments > Add Page Numbers.

As you can see from the screenshot below, if you turn off Continue from previous page, you can restart the page numbering from a specified count. This is probably what is happening in your document.

783C05AE-096D-4E4F-9E37-5A1B5B0DC09F.png

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thank you, twerppoet..

same result whether continue... is checked or not. tried turning off, the back on, the footers - where I have my pg numbers.

could the file be “stuck” somehow?

EDIT: in tinkering with the master pages assigned; I’d different ones assigned to different pages. While that wasn’t the flaw, of course , it got me to thinking what else might be different about the pages...

the third page was set to re-start the page count. thank you!

Last edited:
OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yes..this is powerful. these little iLife apps for iOS are deceptively simple. very mature toolset, very easy to set up.

I think what happened is that, in my newness to the software, I unwittingly touched things which changed how the document was set up without realizing it and upon poking around page by page, was able to see what I’d done.

I appreciate your patient help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Again, no problem.

Most of what I know about the iLife apps comes from other people asking questions. Me curiosity gets the better of me, so I poke arouned to see if I can find the answer.

Most reactions

Latest posts