What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages Getting Laggy?

Roxas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadbeans.com
Does anyone else experience a bit of a lag once their document gets beyond 8 pages? As in, when you're typing the keys aren't responsive until two or three seconds after you hit them?

I don't know whether it's because I just generally have a lot of saved documents on my iPad, but it is kinda annoying when you're trying to take notes down fast.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can easily believe you're up against the iPad's rather limited memory which is also shared with the graphics chip.
Best thing to do is clear your memory beforehand with a quick reboot.
I've taken to using a cheap system info app which allows me to recover system memory before using demanding apps. It's called XsysInfo.

MusicLover et al

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I experience the lag even with a new document in Pages, and it gets worse as I use Pages or increase the file size. I'm happy to report that the problem is not with the iPad, at least not my iPad 3, although I have experienced for years the lag between clicking the keys and the characters appearing on my iPad screen in the Pages iOS app (currently ver 2.6.1 on iOS 9.3.1) (and with iOS 7 and 8 and prior versions of the Pages app), like everyone else who has reported the frustrating, incredibly bad lag. No amount of memory clearing and reboots solve the problem for more than a few minutes, if at all. The solution? Don't use the Pages app. The Pages app is faulty. When I use the MS Word iOS app, ver 1.2, my keystrokes appear instantly on the iPad 3 screen, without any delay. After using Pages, using Word is like witnessing magic. All the frustrations fade away. The problem isn't the hardware or even iOS 7, 8 or 9. It's not your keyboard or the Bluetooth connection. It's the Pages app. Spread the word. Hundreds of thousands of people will thank you, and maybe Apple will fix their Pages app. I don't have a dog in the hunt between MS, Apple, or any other tech company. Other word processing apps may work just as well as MS Word on an iPad 3 with iOS 9. I'm just telling you how to solve your key lag problem without spending a dime. Word. (all puns intended)

Keywords: lag, keystroke, delay, characters, screen, iPad, keyboard, typing, iOS Pages app, MS Word, hitting keys, time, seconds, slow, crawl, trail, limp, hobble, inch, plod, hang, wait, showstopper, hold-up, make coffee, watch grass grow or paint dry or water boil, die, eternity,

Most reactions