What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages doc will not update

Birdwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I created a Word doc in Windows and synced it to Pages on my iPad first generation. No problem. Made updates to the doc on the iPad. Synced. But the doc didn't update on my PC. Help please.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm, do you realize you aren't actually syncing the documents? Importing and exporting documents in Pages just creates copies. There is no link created to the original file.

If you used iTunes on the computer to import the document to Pages, made changes, and then exported it, you'll have to go back to iTunes and copy the exported file back to the computer. And you do have to export it for the modified file to be available. You'll find the modified file it in the same File Sharing section that you used to import the document.

None of the iWorks programs will work with a synced file. They always make a copy when importing, and make a copy when exporting. This is true whether you use iTunes, iDisk, or webDAV.

On the other hand this can come in handy. It means that when you export a copy to iTunes, or another service, you can then keep importing it over and over again without changing the original. It's the closest thing you can get to making your own templates.

If you are tired of using iTunes to move files in and out of Pages (if you've been using iTunes), look into getting a DropBox and DropDAV account. DropBox is online storage that you can keep synced with your computer. DropDAV is a service that will let you use your DropBox to import and export files using the webDAV option. Both are free if you get the basic 2GB plan for DropBox.

Most reactions