Pages 2.0.1 in IOS 7.0.4

Discussion in 'iPad App Announcements' started by Moray, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Moray

Moray iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Upgraded to 7.0.4 on my iPad 2 and everything worked well. Then I updated Pages, first to 2.0 and then to 2.0.1. Since then I cannot use pages, because it will not open. The home page opens for a few seconds and then shuts, and none of the icons responds during the few seconds it is open. I have tried starting without the cloud, and with the cloud, and neither works. So I cannot get at any of my documents to edit them. Is this a well known problem? What should i do to make it work? I have deleted pages and re-downloaded several times and nothing helps. I have now discovered that I can start a new document providing that I am not using iCloud. Then when I have finished working, I open "use iCloud". If I now open Pages, it opens for a few seconds and then closes, and says there are no documents. But in fact it has transferred the new documents to the cloud! However, while I can get at them from anoer computer! such as my iMac! and can edit them etc? there, Imcannot get the iPad. Pages to acknowledge their existence, or retrieve them, or interact with them in any way.

So what do. I do? Just visit a Genius Bar?

Neville Moray
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Gtatler

Gtatler iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Did you reset your iPad after upgrading to 7 ? It very often clears up odd errors in apps.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +882 / 0
    Hi Moray - not having a problem w/ Pages on my iPad 2 (same versions as you mention in your opening post) - I would probably do the usual maneuvers when an app is misbehaving (see quote below; follow each in order, check, and if ineffective go to the next one - if you've already given these steps a try, then sorry) - good luck and post back if you're still having a problem - Dave :)

4. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,496 / 3
    This helped other iPad/Pages users: go to Settings - Pages and turn off "Use iCloud".
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,236 / 1
    Assuming you've tried the other suggestions:

First, try Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Settings. This will erase nothing, including accounts and app data. What it will do is set most other settings back to a default. Sometimes there are settings that get confused (for lack of a better word) during an upgrade, and this will fix that.
    I recommend turning off "Use iCloud" as Johanna says, just to see if you can get the Pages app to launch without crashing.

That will tell us if it's a basic app problem, or an iCloud problem.

You should also visit icloud.com using a computer browser, to make sure your documents are there and working. Your iPad may be having problems with converting to the new format. Opening and viewing each document there should take care of that. It would probably be a good idea to copy all the documents to the computer or another cloud service at this point. Just in case.

If worst comes to worst, save all documents from iCloud as previously explained. Save any documents that remain in Pages with the iCloud sync turned off; DropBox, email them, or whatever. Just make sure they are in the Pages format. Then, with Pages clean of any documents try turning on iCloud again to see if it works. If it does, add the documents back one at a time. If one of the documents breaks things, delete it and continue.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Good Luck

P.S. You might want to look at your available storage space. If it's getting low free up some and try again.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. billcry

billcry iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did this issue get resolved? I have the same issue with BOTH my new Air and my old Iphone 4. After setting up the Air, neither device will allow the use of Pages if ICloud is enabled in Settings>Pages, just as explained in the first post here. I have done all that has been suggested including wiping the Air twice and reinstalling all software, to no avail.

A couple of observations: this continues to happen EVEN IF AIRPORT MODE IS ENABLED which means that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with actually connecting to ICloud. It also happens whether I am using my home WiFi or using some public network.

Since I have erased all documents in ICloud and all documents in the Ipad and Iphone, it doesn't appear to be caused by a corrupt document.

Further, Numbers works fine.

I would think that it might be a hardware problem except what would be the chances of two devices breaking the same way at the same time.

A virus? If it is it hasn't shown up in the Mac antivirus, which presumably checks backups from both devices stored on the hard drive.

An unknown flaw in the new beta IWork Cloud app? Apple tech has been working with me, but have not suggested anything of the sort

Open to any suggestions to solving this mystery. Pages is my go to program for word processing.

Oh, yes, one other oddity: If I create a document in Pages (with ICloud disabled) and then enable ICloud, the document will appear in ICloud and devices connected to ICloud.
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,236 / 1
    Since you mentioned having and iPad Air, I suggest you see if Apple Tech Support can help. You get 90 days of free services. Unless you also got the Applecare+ package, in which case you have two years.

Might as well give it a try.

That's all I've got. Other than the advice already given I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.
  8. billcry

billcry iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So is Apple Support, so far.
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,236 / 1
    Darn.
  10. Moray

Moray iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This is EXACTLY the same as my problem, and I have not been able to resolve this. I am going to try to go to a Genius Bar, but I do not expect it to be fixed by them! I think it is something to do with the update that changed Pages 2.0.0 to 2.0.4

Please keep in touch!

Neville Moray

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  11. Moray

Moray iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    And one other thing, when is use my iMac with Maverick, all the iCloud documents are there and all of the. Work perfectly I. pages. I can make new documents on the iPad, transfer them to the cloud as you describe, and thereafter work with the. On the iMac, but I cannot get the. Back to the iPad. It MUST be something to do with the Pages 2.0.4 software.

Neville Moray

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  12. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,236 / 1
    I recommend you send this to Apple's iPad feedback page: Apple - iPad - Feedback

It probably won't get you any immediate feedback, but at least you'll know the problem is reported and that you've added some small amount of urgency in fixing it.

Wish I had better advice.
  13. Gtatler

Gtatler iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0
  14. billcry

billcry iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Pages issue with my IPad Air and IPhone 4 is resolved. Here's what finally resolved the issue (please see previous posts on problem and previous steps to solve):

While I was looking through my Mac updates, I noticced that the Mac had not updated Pages (which it should have done automatically). I clicked on 'update app' and the Mac replied, "would you like an older version that is compatible with your operating system" (or some such) I hit OK and a few minutes later a "new" Pages was downloaded. I opened it and it showed one old document in the ICloud file (I had previously deleted all of the Pages documents in ICloud, thinking that corrupt file might be the root of the problem). I trashed that file and opened the IPad Pages with Icloud active. It opened and allowed me to write a document. I then opened my I Phone and the document was waiting for me in the ICloud Pages file. I then wrote a Pages document on the Iphone and a few minutes later it appeared on the IPad. So, unless something else happens, I guess the case is closed,
  15. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,236 / 1
    So, it sounds like maybe a hidden corrupt file in iCloud. One that is difficult to find and delete without the older version of Pages.
  16. Moray

Moray iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Winston Churchill sent a proposed solution to billcry about this problem! suggesting that one should turn off pages in iPad, empty the iCloud documents space on the iMac, and then restart pages and then replace the documents into the cloud. I did this and it solved my problem. Can Winston Churchill explain what has been done to achieve this solution? What has Ben going on and where is the fault?

NM
  17. Moray

Moray iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The suggestion to bill cry by Winston Churchill solved the problem for me