What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Page up/down not working with PDF

Rodolfo Medina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi...

my sister's old Ipad does not respond to Page Up and Down key within PDF
documents although perfectly paired with bluetooth keyboard and although both
keys do work within other applications... Why that? Anyone experiencing the
same problem?

Thanks for any help.

Rodolfo

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
What app are you viewing the PDF in? Keyboard support will have to be programmed specifically by the app developer, and just because it works in one app, doesn't mean it will automatically work with another.

OP
R

Rodolfo Medina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adobe Acrobat, for example, but not only... the problem remains also with other PDF viewers, like "PDF Reader"... How to possibily work it out...?

thanks,

rodolfo

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the app does not support it, then there is nothing you can do to force to to support the feature. If you have a second Bluetooth keyboard, pair it and give it a try, just o be sure. Also you said that it is an older iPad. Make sure it has the most recent version of iOS available for it. At some point new apps stop supporting older iOS versions, at which point you are stuck with older versions of the apps that may not have all the current features.

I do not have the two PDF apps you mentioned. Both Documents and PDF Expert from Readdle both scroll and move between pages using the arrow keys on my smart keyboard. PDFs viewed in Safari also scroll.

Also, if her iOS version is fairly recent, hold down the Command key on the keyboard to see what keyboard shortcuts are available. Arrow keys are not normally shown here, but other useful keys may be availalble.

OP
R

Rodolfo Medina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately both "Documents" and "PDF Expert" are no more available for it too old... the fact is that Adobe Acrobat Reader itself does not have that problem within Android devices... Anybody having Adobe on his/her IPad and can test...?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately both "Documents" and "PDF Expert" are no more available for it too old... the fact is that Adobe Acrobat Reader itself does not have that problem within Android devices... Anybody having Adobe on his/her IPad and can test...?

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader and it scrolls (ugly jerky scrolling) with the arrow keys, but that probably won’t tell you anything. The current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader requires iOS 12. Your sister’s iPad is probably using an older version, which may not have had the abilty.

Still, if you have not done so, go to the App Store, check app updates, and make sure she has the latest version it will let her download.

OP
R

Rodolfo Medina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for help... I installed "iBooks" but arrow keys don't work either within it... the only key that seems to work is the "Home" key... In the Settings -> Software Update, it says that the software is regularly updated to iOS 9.3.6... any other suggestions...?

thanks,

rodolfo

OP
R

Rodolfo Medina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...and it is confirmed that the same arrow keys do work fine to scroll pages of PDF documents within Android devices...

rodolfo

Most reactions