What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pad stuck in EDGE

vp007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am relatively new to iPad. I am running 4.3.5 and my pad is stuck in EDGE mode though my sim has 3G activated on it. The hypothesis that I have is that when I had 4.3.3, I had jail broken and had installed sbsettings. Now in sbsettings you can toggle on/off EDGE and 3G separately. I was using Edge at that time and hence had no need for 3G. Last month when my pad crashed due to some issue while I was playing with Cydia, the restore, much to my disappointment, put in 4.3.5. I believe that somehow the previous sbsettings installation has somehow turned off a switch somewhere and that's why I am not getting 3G now. Any expert thoughts on what can I do?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's an interesting one. The SBSettings 3G toggle does work on the iPad, switching you back to Edge or GPRS if available, but of course there is no stock menu option to do this on the iPad (there is on the iPhone)...

One way to sort it is of course to downgrade back to 4.3.3, jailbreak, and use SBSettings to switch it back on. You should be able to do this if you have SHSH Blobs saved, and there is a good chance you do if you were previously jailbroken. You can follow this guide to find out if you do - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

There may (must) be a way of adjusting the setting in your backup file and simply restoring that on 4.3.5 too. You can use iBackupBot to interrogage your iTunes backup, but where it is in terms of a setting for 3G I have no idea... Sorry.

OP
V

vp007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx f4780y. Unfortunately I am getting a feeling that I am screwed big time. Tiny umbrella did not show me anything below 4.3.4 so I don't know if I can roll back. Any suggestions? can I getba file from someone else and use that? Yet to try your other suggestion.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. No way around not having blobs. That's why they are so important.

You will need to do a clean restore and set the iPad up as new, or look into manually adjusting the backup file like I suggested above. A full restore will at least get your 3G back.

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You stated that you were on 4.3.3 and foolin around in cydia when the problem happened for whatever reason.....so shouldn't cydia have auto-saved your blobs?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sound like he didn't JB till 4.3.4 was out since he followed my guide and has those saved. Lots of folks are in that situation.

Loxion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation, upgraded from 4.3.3 jb to 4.3.5 and lost 3G. I'll wait to restore when I get back home and see if I can roll back with my blob. Does anyone know if a jb for 4.3.5 s coming, or just wait for ios5?

OP
V

vp007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. You were right. Even before I came back and read your replies, I did a clean reinstall and setup the pad as new. Got 3G back but ran into another problem. Apps where I had purchased add ons are not coming in. As an example, I brought additional animations in Talking Tom 2 and Talking Ben. After the restore, the apps came in but those paid enhancements did not. Tried reinstalls and resyncs but no luck so far. I am still looking but any thoughts? Thanks.

OP
V

vp007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this discussion can now go in a different forum. I have made an additional post and my 3G issue is now closed. Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think restoration of in-app purchases work in a similar way to normal purchases. When you go to purchase the item again within the app, iTunes will tell you that you already bought it and activate the feature without charging you again.

OP
V

vp007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did that. Worked. Finally.....pad restored and I can go back to reading and improving my knowledge about my new toy. Thanks so much everybody.

Most reactions

Latest posts