What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Owners...what are you using to clean the smears?

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm certain there are many of us that find the round smears of oils/finger spots annoying when we turn off the iPad...what works best for you, to remove them easily?

I've been using a small micro-fiber cloth: about 3x3 in size.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a cleaning kit for eyeglasses. It will have cleaner and a microfiber cloth that will work well and is moderately portable.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Monster screen cleaning kit from Best Buy... the micro-fiber cloth in the kit is about 12" x 12" which is really nice for this screen. It just takes one or two (soft) swipes to make the screen look like new again.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the important ipad product information guide Apple - Support - Manuals

Keeping the Outside of iPad Clean Handle your iPad with care to maintain its appearance. If you are concerned about scratching or abrasion, you can use one of the many cases sold separately. To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Then use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating
on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

OP
I

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Monster screen cleaning kit from Best Buy... the micro-fiber cloth in the kit is about 12" x 12" which is really nice for this screen. It just takes one or two (soft) swipes to make the screen look like new again.

Thanks Brobar...I'll check it out.

Be Ez

OP
I

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that too Rasputina...was more interested in users experiences with what woks best for them, vs the standard lint free line used withmost electronic device user manuals.

I do appreciate you dropping that excerpt though! We all know folk who never actually read the book, so to speak...LoL

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally never use any liquid products on my iphone ( which I've had for a few years) and ipad. The cloth alone works fine. I made the mistake once of using a liquid to clean my LCD monitor, never doing that again.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3M makes microfiber cloths in a couple of different sizes. They have one for tv's that's pretty big, 12x12 and one for glasses that's like 3x3. I'll probably use the larger one on my 3G while I'm home but carry the small one in the apple case for when I'm on the go. Now all I need is the actual 3G and I'm good to go!

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just rub it across my shirt. :) seriously, I've had an iPhone for 3 years and always just wiped it across my shirt too without any issues. These glass screens are very scratch resistant.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm certain there are many of us that find the round smears of oils/finger spots annoying when we turn off the iPad...what works best for you, to remove them easily?

I've been using a small micro-fiber cloth: about 3x3 in size.
I don't have an iPad yet and I'm curious. Does one have to press that hard on the touch screen as to leave finger prints?:confused:

Because of my work I have to wash my hands often so I rarely have to worry about fingerprints. Wasn't the iPad supposed to have a special finish on the screen to prevent oil smears?

Most reactions

Latest posts