What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overseas travel from UK

becva7468

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

You very kindly answered a query I had a couple days and I wondered if you could help me withe following please?

1. How do I turn off 3G?

2. I was reading other help sections re roaming charges in different states (not sure if it's applicable to what I want to do) and someone said the iPad sim card is slightly smaller, is this true, and if so would I need to go to an Apple dealer in the UK to buy one?

3. How do you change your picture in the top left corner please? (sorry not on topic but I can't seem to find out how to do it)

Thanks again for all your help

All for one and one for all!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

You very kindly answered a query I had a couple days and I wondered if you could help me withe following please?

1. How do I turn off 3G?

2. I was reading other help sections re roaming charges in different states (not sure if it's applicable to what I want to do) and someone said the iPad sim card is slightly smaller, is this true, and if so would I need to go to an Apple dealer in the UK to buy one?

3. How do you change your picture in the top left corner please? (sorry not on topic but I can't seem to find out how to do it)

Thanks again for all your help

All for one and one for all!

(1) 'Settings', 'Cellular Data' -> 'Off'
(2) Yes, the iPad SIM is a microSIM and is slightly smaller than a normal one. Both the iPhone4 and the iPad use this new size SIM. Most of the service providers in the UK have microSIMs - Orange, O2, '3', Vodafone, for example - so there's no need to visit an Apple Store. You can also purchase a SIM cutter which will automatically trim the excess plastic off a 'normal' SIM to make it microSIM-sized. You can buy them from Amazon and they come with an adaptor so that you can fit the microSIM back into a slot for a regular SIM, should you ever need to.
(3) It is difficult to change your avatar - your picture - from the iPad. Not impossible, but difficult. It's much easier to do it from a PC - go to 'ipadforums.net' and click on 'User CP' (User Control Panel) and you'll see the 'Edit Avatar' option there. You can either choose from a wide selection of predefined avatars - or upload a picture of your own.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any other queries.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts